Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Any long term cannabis smokers kicked the habbit? 12 hours in. Nasty symptom.

Notices

Old 01-31-2019, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any long term smokers here? Need some advice on quitting.

I'm currently about 12 hours into no cannabis and I've just had one of the worst side effects. I had no appetite, and my stomach was hurting very bad. Thought I was going to vomit. So I got a small bowl of wheat flakes with some whole milk.

30 minutes later I felt the need to pass gas. I'll save you the rest of the story, but it wasn't gas. Luckily I'm at home! Felt the need to pass gas again but this time I was smarter and got to the toilet. It was like water! Sounded like I was taking a pee.

I've been smoking daily, 5 times a day at least, for about 5 years with very few breaks. I can easily smoke a 1/8 a day, and more if I had it. At one point I had 5 ounces that I burned through in less than 2 months (that's a lot of 5's but it's no joke lol).

I just want to know if this is expected? Because I don't know whether to worry, or ride it out. I don't feel ill at all, and these symptoms are making me feel like smoking again just to get rid of them.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was a big, big pot head amongst everything else, I gave up because basically I started to get paranoid on it. I personally didn't notice any sort of problems, but I was doing everything else along side. Doesn't help much, my advice is ride it out 😀
Old 01-31-2019, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You gastric conditions could have nothing to do with quitting. But notice how quickly you latched on to the idea of smoking to get rid of the problem? That's addiction.

I was an all-day-every day smoker for ten years. I quit. Wasn't easy, but I did it. Glad to no longer be a slave to that nasty, expensive, and health wrecking drug.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If you are worried about your health, definitely see a doctor. There's a long list of possible causes for gastric issues, could be related to your smoking or could be completely unrelated too. Flu bug, something you ate, who knows.

As far as your smoking, even if it's unrelated to your current health issues it sounds like it's a big problem. You'll find a lot of support here, and there is even a subforum specifically for Marijana addictions. Make no mistake - even though marijuana is becoming more prevalent in society, it's still a drug and addiction to it is very possible.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In the past when I've ran out and had to wait I've ended up sick. I'll get stomach problems that require me to take a hot bath to get rid of them. This goes hand in hand with cannabis hypersensitivity syndrome.

With cannabis I don't get these problems so that's why I'm not rushing to call a doctor. But, if this continues beyond 2 weeks then yes I will.

The reason why it isn't an illness is because I do not feel unwell in any way. IBS, possibly. I have an issue with milk - especially on an empty stomach.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, diarrhea can quickly become dangerous because your hydration and electrolytes get out of balance.

Do you have any Immodium or other anti-diarrheals at your house? I would get some right away.

Regardless of the reason the solution is never cannabis.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Well, diarrhea can quickly become dangerous because your hydration and electrolytes get out of balance.

Do you have any Immodium or other anti-diarrheals at your house? I would get some right away.

Regardless of the reason the solution is never cannabis.
So far it's only happened twice, but if it continues I'll get some. I'm drinking lots of fluids regular.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 16YearsDrunk View Post
So far it's only happened twice, but if it continues I'll get some. I'm drinking lots of fluids regular.
Oh, well that's good that it's intermittent.

Do you have any Gatorade? Maybe take a little salt or drink broth or bouillon if you aren't able to eat, too many fluids are just as bad as not enough.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Maybe your body is doing it's job an getting rid of toxins 😀, I'm no professional, keep an eye on it 🙏
Old 01-31-2019, 07:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You gastric conditions could have nothing to do with quitting. But notice how quickly you latched on to the idea of smoking to get rid of the problem? That's addiction.

I was an all-day-every day smoker for ten years. I quit. Wasn't easy, but I did it. Glad to no longer be a slave to that nasty, expensive, and health wrecking drug.
The hardest part about quitting is the feeling of sober. I quit alcohol, and maybe it's just me but I find quitting cannabis much more difficult.

Although it's not addictive like heroin, there is certainly dependence. It puts you in a state of mind that feels all knowing, and warm, but in the long run it's taxing.

I hate how I lose so much time and money to cannabis. It's even more expensive than alcohol. Alcohol doesn't cost $30 a day.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Although it's not addictive like heroin
If it's your DOC (drug of choice) it's plenty addictive. You haven't managed to quit, right? That's addictive.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I found a Reddit sub for cannabis quitters. I was shocked to see this is one of the common symptoms. I read a fascinating article on THC receptors in the guy, and why withdrawal from long term use can cause stomach problems.

Time for my 3rd hot bath of the day. My gas bill will be huge, but it's the only thing that gets rid of the stomach cramps.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If it's your DOC (drug of choice) it's plenty addictive. You haven't managed to quit, right? That's addictive.
I completely agree with you btw. It's just I've seen it called dependence as opposed to an addiction as the drug itself contains nothing that can cause addiction or any addictive properties.

The reason why I haven't quit it is mental health related. Without it my mental health is shot. I've had anxiety, and depression since I was a youth, and was born with Aspergers.

It's a double edged sword for me. Without cannabis I have to use medications. Because I can't focus on 1 thing I have been told to try Ritalin in the past but I refused it by my doc.

Nobody in the UK is going to give therapy to a middle aged aspie. And I can't afford that therapy.

Is it better for me to take a cocktail of meds?

I'm starting to feel like I'm being attacked if I'm honest. You people don't know my story, or why I use, yet seem intent on giving your opinions.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

All drugs are the same.
They take your money and steal your ambition.
Drink plenty of fluids, little and often.
Get well soon
Old 01-31-2019, 08:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My brother is the same. Aspergers, adhd.
Gave up booze.
Won’t take docs drugs.
Can’t get therapy, still on waiting list.
He chooses to smoke cannabis because he’s lonely etc

I’m no saint but I’d at least try the docs orders before using an illegal substance.
Just saying.
Not having a go, just an observation
Old 01-31-2019, 08:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I'm starting to feel like I'm being attacked if I'm honest. You people don't know my story, or why I use, yet seem intent on giving your opinions.
I don't see where you are being attacked. You started this thread seeking advice on quitting. Maybe you are edgy having not smoked today.

SR has a sub-forum for pot:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ana-addiction/
Old 01-31-2019, 08:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Aka

I would suggest a talk with your Dr it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome is on the rise.
Hope you feel some relief soon.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have to agree with Carl, if you want to quit no one in Newcomers is going to disagree with that goal and even if you post in the Marijuana subforum, there are going to be arguments against using a mental health slant as a reason for your pot use.

There simply has to be no reason, ever. It's all or nothing, right?

Most of us who become addicted have underlying life-long mental health issues. It becomes an excuse at some point and instead of actually dealing with the cards we are dealt in life we choose to check out of our own brains.

Keep going on the sober thing. As hard as it is right now, it's less than Day One. Hang on.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snowydelrico View Post
My brother is the same. Aspergers, adhd.
Gave up booze.
Won’t take docs drugs.
Can’t get therapy, still on waiting list.
He chooses to smoke cannabis because he’s lonely etc

I’m no saint but I’d at least try the docs orders before using an illegal substance.
Just saying.
Not having a go, just an observation
I'm no stranger to the doctor believe me. I was on 150mg zoloft last year for 6 months. Been on benzos, tried Ritalin when I was younger (never again!). I've been under the mental health services for over 10 years ... they know me very well and have pretty much written me off. I have been on fluxotine, citalopram.

The medications cause dreadful side effects, and make me feel like a zombie. In the 6 months I was on zoloft I was mostly bedbound. As soon as I stopped and got well without them I was able to get back to my business.

I've given them far more than a fair chance.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I don't see where you are being attacked. You started this thread seeking advice on quitting. Maybe you are edgy having not smoked today.

SR has a sub-forum for pot:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ana-addiction/
Yup, probably. I've smoked. The symptoms were too much.

Let's face it. I was born with Aspergers which is forever going to cause me mental health problems. There is no cure. I don't take medications anymore because those meds cause very bad side effects (discussed above).

Should I really make myself feel guilty for using cannabis? In many countries it's now a prescription drug.

I need to flip the perspective. If this was prescribed my symptoms would be "expected" ... as they are with prescribed pills. They also cause horrid side effects.

It's no different really. And lets be honest, cannabis is safer than the manufactured pills. I pick the lesser of the two evils.

I'm far from stupid. I quit alcohol because that caused real life damage. Should I tar cannabis with the same brush as alcohol, or real drugs? Nah. I shouldn't, that would be illogical.