Notices

50 Alcohol free Today and feel terrible

Old 01-30-2019, 03:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

50 Alcohol free Today and feel terrible

Hi everyone,

Hope you all well, I'm 50 days clean today and its my birthday (57) I'm suffering from insomnia, cold sweats, emotional craziness, wall climbing anxiety, fatigue and bouts of alcohol cravings at present. I did also give up the cigarettes 10 days ago and don't know what affect that is also having?.
I'm hiding in work and keeping my head down, I look okay (I think) but inside its turmoil, I was okay until day 40 when all this begun and today has been the worst and I was up 3 times during last night as couldn't sleep with mind going crazy.
I do know I have to get over this hump and that better times will come back. Never Ever want to have to go through this again!!!. Have a nice day/night wherever you are. bye for now C
Old 01-30-2019, 03:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy birthday Carlingford

I've heard people giving up cigarettes say that nicotine craving felt a lot like alcohol cravings and were often even interpreted as such.

Have you considered any NRT (nicotine replacement therapies)?

D
Old 01-30-2019, 03:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like this hit at the same time you quit cigs. I have also heard from those with first hand knowledge that nicotine withdrawal is as bad as alcohol. Sorry for your discomfort, but this too should pass. Don’t pick up the drink....and maybe see a doc?
Old 01-30-2019, 04:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Congrats on your sober time. Maybe see your doctor?
Old 01-30-2019, 04:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happy birthday! Congrats on your 50 days, and here's to adding zeroes! Once you get past the hump on the way you're feeling, you'll never have to feel that way again. I hope it passes quickly and better days are ahead. Best of luck, support, and birthday wishes to you!
Old 01-30-2019, 04:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"I never want to go through this again."

That right there is one of my most powerful truths. I'll never never never forget.

Hang on. This breathing exercise is quick and easy and helps:

Box Breathing / Navy Seal Tactical Breathing from Quiet Kit

I also would use the "5 Things" technique when it got bad. Look around and name five things. A green book. Your socks. A favorite plant. . .

Curling my toes works too. I was told by the facilitator of an anxiety workshop for kids that you can't be anxious when you're curling your toes. Works.

Also, quiet classical instrumental music. (Free on Pandora)

It does pass. You'll make it to the other side.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday and congrats on 50 days carlingford.
I personally felt rough until the 60 days point, after that it started to get easier for me. I remember reading old posts on here to comfort myself that it did indeed get better and the further on that you get, you will definitely find the good days outweigh the bad.
Again I would add that you might want to check in with the doctor to rule out anything else and put your mind at rest.
Well done on quitting smoking, I did try to quit them when I gave up drinking but I didn't manage it, so kudos to you for that.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your support, advice and encouragement, yes Dee I am on limited NRT which I brought with me to Saudi Arabia, unfortunately only limited availability of NRT here like chamtix here which I didn't take after I read the side affects of insomnia etc.. Yes its hard to tell difference with cigarette cravings and alcohol, hopefully I am killing two birds with one stone!!

biminiblue thanks for breathing exercise technique advice and I will try later. (in work now) I am hoping that this is just a cycle I'm in and from reading here it seems to dissipate over time.(up to 2 years) Never Ever want to be here again, thanks for your support everyone XX
Old 01-30-2019, 06:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday, carlingford! And congrats on 50 days! Nicotine withdrawal for me was every bit as bad as alcohol withdrawal. I took Zyban at a pretty high dose to eliminate the urge for the nicotine, which it did while I was taking it, but it produced horribly vivid nightmares and put me into a severely depressive state, even though its supposed to be prescribed to help with that. So I quit taking it and had to muscle through. The bad nicotine stuff went away after about a month. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2019, 07:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Dafunbra for Birthday wishes, just wish I had quite the drink and cigs long time ago as not getting any younger lol, suppose no crying over splilt milk!!
Yeah I think Zyban is similar to Champix, I got a shock when I read the interactions etc so I didn't bother with it, anyway hope I sleep better tonight, I normally have a cup of camoline tea before bed and forgot last night and didn't sleep properly . Have a nice day/night Dafunbra and thanks again
Old 01-30-2019, 08:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Quitting cigs was awful for me. I got all that you described. Stay the course. You will start to feel better and never have to go through it again. I couldn't think straight for 2 weeks when I quit smoking.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How long were you a smoker?
Old 01-30-2019, 09:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi gettingsmarter, thanks for comment, I smoked all my life say from 16 with breaks here and there and vaped for a while, I'm 57 today, my coughing has cleared up alot after 10 days and have more energy......... when I manage to have a decent sleep off drink 50 days today as well feeling positive
Old 01-30-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Congratulations on 50 days, that's quite an accomplishment. I think it's awesome you decided to quit smoking at the same time but man it must be tough.

I think quitting smoking was way harder than alcohol. Yes the withdrawals aren't as bad but its pull is so strong. I think you doing an amazing thing cutting the 2 poisons which will ultimately kill us out for good. If you need any help, I used the NRT gum to help with my crazings. I slowly tapered off of the gum, I know some people prefer the lozenges.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well done on 50 days sober.

I remeber around 60 days sober I started feeling worse than ever with terrible anxiety, extreme lethargy but I stayed positive and kept strong. Now after 2 years sober i feel better than ever.

Keep marching.