Notices

Maybe paws still?

Old 01-29-2019, 08:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Maybe paws still?

Hello Everyone,
I was wondering if some of the paws symptoms can come back after going threw them. I’m still early into recovering and I have been sober since the day it all started to happen. I have been sober for about 4 months almost.

When I first knew something was wrong I had bad bad brain fog, forgetfulness, kinda a light headed feeling or somewhat of a high feeling. With the advice I got threw here I tought it out and after about a month and a few weeks it was like I came out of this feeling. Totally wired if you ask me how I could go from being so messed up and feeling like death to one day a big pink cloud and I literally felt so happy that I was feeling better.

It has now been about 4 months sober from alcohol, have not touched a single drop and don’t plan on it. Here is my problem now, I started smoking cigarettes again after I felt better. It’s been about 2 months almost that I have been smoking cigarettes and all off a sudden I’m getting those weird feelings again! Could this be paws coming back or could this be from me smoking cigarettes again? No the symptoms are not nearly as intense as they were after drinking but I did notice these feelings coming back all of a sudden 3 days ago! What could this be? I thought I was over that hump and after feeling great for about 2 months I thought I was in the clear to be feeling better from there on out.

Has anyone experience such a thing? Could it be from smoking cigs that I may be feeling these symptoms again. Please if anyone has an answer I would greatly appreciate to here.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

All I can tell you is that my early recovery was a lot of ups and downs. I had a lot of the PAWS symptoms for about the first year but they gradually faded away.

I would say, if it concerns you, see your doctor and maybe get some tests run if you still feel 'off'.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One way to find out: quit smoking again.

That said, it seems like many of the folks who experience PAWS-type symptoms report that they can linger or recur for up to a year or two, so it's not out of the question that your brain is still merely adjusting to sobriety.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Blake

Nicotine is a stimulant - if you've had anxiety issues about your health and brain fog before then maybe smoking is not a great idea?

D
Old 01-29-2019, 10:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Blake

Nicotine is a stimulant - if you've had anxiety issues about your health and brain fog before then maybe smoking is not a great idea?

D
as someone that quit smoking several months ago..What Dee said is on 'point'. I mean..that's 100% the reason I began smoking(for that 'high'/rush). I've had a couple cigs since Oct'ish and each time I get/feel high. Anxiety,ect..happen. Don't smoke for a couple days and go from there.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd say your still goin thru paws Blake , I'm a smoker all though much less since I stopped drinking, I'm on my seventh month and paws symptoms are lightening up only recently, they seem to come in waves , fine for a week or two and then a drained feeling comes along for a week or a two. Apparently they peak between 3rd and 6th month of soberity .
Old 01-30-2019, 02:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

It can come and go for a year or 2 Blake, although as you've noticed it does diminish in strength and will continue to do so.
I agree with Dee that heightened anxiety can increase cravings. Your body and brain have been used to turning to alcohol at times of stress, and after 4 months can revert very easily to wanting to drink.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep, Blake, I had a quite extended experience with PAWS and a good bit of up and down with my symptoms (physical, emotional, all of it) along my first year and into my second. Have you read this good article? www.digital-dharma.net - click on tab PAWS.

And whether one calls it the syndrome of PAWS, the healing process takes awhile for all of us. I'd also recommend the book Living Sober which is a good, easy read about the first year of sobriety. Paperback avail on Amazon.

I only succeeded in reaching a healthy place for the 42 and change yr old woman I am today by staying sober. Continuously.

If you haven't, I'd also suggest seeing a general practitioner as well as possibly a psych - both are folks I have in my recovery tool kit.

Glad you are here - four mo is GREAT....and also very VERY early. It gets better.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

PAWS tends to come and go in waves, it can ease up and then come back and blind side you, ideally the waves lesson and get further apart.

I had it bad for a year.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tekink View Post
PAWS tends to come and go in waves, it can ease up and then come back and blind side you, ideally the waves lesson and get further apart.

I had it bad for a year.
I guess they truly do come and go in waves. I thought I came out of it for good. Was feeling pretty damn good the last month or so and now just feeling that slump again. Garanet it’s nothing atm like it was that first month and a half. Just have the same symptoms but less intense feeling. Just hate that light head feeling and it makes me numb to thoughts and wanting to do things. I was up and on the go happy and now this ***** showing it’s face again. Just going threw it and trying to stay positive. Thank you
Old 01-30-2019, 04:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
It can come and go for a year or 2 Blake, although as you've noticed it does diminish in strength and will continue to do so.
I agree with Dee that heightened anxiety can increase cravings. Your body and brain have been used to turning to alcohol at times of stress, and after 4 months can revert very easily to wanting to drink.
Thank you for the response. I have noticed that the effects aren’t as bad as they first appeared. Was so happy and thought I wouldn’t get a second round wave but I was wrong.

I quit the cigarettes again and am hoping that it helps improve me to get back to feeling better. I guess it wasn’t a smart idea starting to smoke again. I will never drink again, I never thought alcohol would do this to me and I hate it.
Thank you for your reply
Old 01-30-2019, 04:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
as someone that quit smoking several months ago..What Dee said is on 'point'. I mean..that's 100% the reason I began smoking(for that 'high'/rush). I've had a couple cigs since Oct'ish and each time I get/feel high. Anxiety,ect..happen. Don't smoke for a couple days and go from there.
Yeah I quit the cigs, hopefully now my brain can truly start healing up. I thought I was out of that foggy part. One day I woke and felt great after almost 2 months of some crazy/ trippy feelings. Felt like a damn dream that I was never going to escape from. Woke up one day and felt alive again and that was awesome. Now it seems that I’m getting a wave of it, a bit less intense then when it started the night after a huge binge. Just trying to hang in there, the lighthead feeling is what makes everything so much harder to deal with. It’s like walking around after taking a hit of marijuana. I will never drink again because of this. Going threw this is so unmotivated and just makes life a living hell.
Thank you all for the reply’s <3
Old 01-31-2019, 02:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Blake,

In my experience...

When I quit drinking things got better and things got worse. Worse equals my PAWS and PTSD.

The things that got better were expected but I try not to take them for granted as they are armor against relapse.

The things that got worse didn't seem to ever get better. They were irreversible I figure.

But, I got used to those irreversible things. For example, driving anxiety. That seemed to never go away. I just got used to most of it after a thousand hours or so.

Lingering paranoia. Got used to it. Obsessive thoughts. Still there. Used to it.

Because I don't dull any of those mental issues with drugs...booze...I give my physcye time to deal with the feelings I have.

If all of those feelings actually healed to this level, it was extremely subtle. I got used to them is what it really feels like. They are still there rather than they went away.

Clean time healed me to this point and it is still getting better by the second.

I remember going a couple of weeks sober back in 2014. I ended up drinking...unknowingly relapsing. The hell on earth from that relapse left me terrified to drive on the free way.

Each relapse after that seemed to escalate the paranoia. Eventually, I expect I would have just stayed paranoid until I lost my mind and needed other drugs to make things right.

Than I would have ended up drinking while on those drugs.

Sr saved my life.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Blake,

I too experience this as coming and going in waves. I will be on top of the world for a couple of weeks, then go into a slump for a couple of weeks. In one of those slumps now.

But at 5 months, I realize it is normal. Early days. And I am now prepared for it happening - again - once this slump has lifted.

Guess the answer is just to ride it out and not fight it. I have been trying not to give it too much thought - just going into auto-mode and wading on.

It sucks, I know, but remember you are not alone. ((())) Has your stomach problems eased up from when we last spoke? Sorry , I saw your PM, but thought I'll reply here.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ayers View Post
Hi Blake,

I too experience this as coming and going in waves. I will be on top of the world for a couple of weeks, then go into a slump for a couple of weeks. In one of those slumps now.

But at 5 months, I realize it is normal. Early days. And I am now prepared for it happening - again - once this slump has lifted.

Guess the answer is just to ride it out and not fight it. I have been trying not to give it too much thought - just going into auto-mode and wading on.

It sucks, I know, but remember you are not alone. ((())) Has your stomach problems eased up from when we last spoke? Sorry , I saw your PM, but thought I'll reply here.
Thank you for your reply.
Like you said I guess it does come and go in waves. I had a great lengthy month and a half of feeling great. Thought I was healed up and staying sober would be great. 5 days ago started to feel ehhh again and I was worried. I’m glad this form exist because I would be driving myself crazy. I will say that things are very mild and definitely not how I was the first month of being sober. Only thing that I’m experiencing is like trying to focus at something and then my eyes seem to get wavy if I don’t blink. Also just light brain fog and an empty head at times. So happy that we all are fighting this together and we all keep getting better every day. I’m learning to accept it just like you said. I hear that it gets less and less every time the waves come on in terms of the symptoms witch is good to no.
Also for the most part my stomach has been pretty good lately, starting to get on a more healthier diet. Think my problem is to many carbs but other then that hanging in there. I start a new job in a week and I was so excited and now I just feel eh about it and no motivation. The timing of this was kinda ****** because I was siked about it and ready to go out and make money now this little wave is interrupting that feeling.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hang in there this too shall pass. Good times be coming again soon. Good luck with the new job.