Notices

Stressed out

Old 01-29-2019, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stressed out

After years of sobriety I recently went on an almost 5 month binge.
I'm currently 2 weeks sober now but mostly trying to avoid keeping track like that...Everyday is a win for me.
I should be feeling pretty good about this but my current work situation (not having a work situation) is making my anxiety skyrocket.
And this last week my car just went down for the count.
Coming on this site has really been helping me.
Reading books on sobriety has been helping me.
Being lucky to have a good support system has been helping me.
Yet I still feel like I'm kinda just floating. No desire to drink...but I know it will hit again. I just am scared of being in a bad place and making the wrong choice again.
Anyone else ever feel this way?
Old 01-29-2019, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, mewithoutYou. It's great to have you join us.

Yes, I've felt that way a few times. I think it's very common to feel vulnerable & not quite trust ourselves. The last time I got sober it really was the last time (11 yrs. ago). I had done so much damage I feared for my life. I had been sober for 3 yrs., but became a daily drinker when I relapsed. Talking things over here helped me not to feel alone. That meant everything.

Congratulations on your 2 sober weeks. We're here to encourage you, & we know you can do this.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The two week mark can be some of the roughest, as the last drop of alcohol is exiting your body. With no replenishment in sight, your receptors are beginning to panic and call for more. Add to that the normal every day stressors of life and you have yourself a few lousy days.

But you're near the home stretch! You've just forgotten what withdrawal is like after so many years of sobriety. I, on the other hand, remember it too well haha
Old 01-29-2019, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, I had feelings of self doubt. I had to make my sobriety my top priority. I know you can do this again. And I hope our support will help.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I’m coming off a several month binge, unemployed but have an interview tomorrow. I am day 4 again and stick with it. Staying sober is the number one thing you can do to regain employment and get the car back n running. Keep reading, stay here and stay strong.