Notices

From One Newcomer to the Next...my 7-Day Review

Old 02-01-2019, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

From One Newcomer to the Next...my 7-Day Review

Many of us choose to drink for numerous reasons....it almost always start socially because it's a norm and lets us all drop our guard down temporarily from our daily routine and stresses while engaging with others doing the same. Creating a sense of a unbridled carefree atmosphere...whether it be conversation, laughter, whatever. It's a great feeling! Euphoric even. Then...

You wake up the next stay in reality. Work, Parenting, Finances, Marital Problems, and any other stressor that any of us can associate with. IF I forgot yours I apologize but you get the point. Then the cycle starts...

More going out for the one glass of wine or a few drinks to essentially help you "numb out" a termed I used frequently with my fiancee in regards to my alcoholism. This goes on but your appetite for alcohol grows slowly creating an inconceivable demon before you know. As if our problems weren't enough. Instead of meeting them head on we run to feel better though are drinking habits. Thus an addict has formed before you ever saw it coming.

How did it affect me personally:

1. Denial (I like drinking, I like the taste, I can stop whenever I want)
2. Lying and Deceit (As my volume picked up rapidly, i lied about my consumption more; often not even remembering the conversation hoping I wouldn't be asked about it tomorrow)
3. Appetite drastically went down ( I hardly ate even though I worked out daily)
4. In early stages of quitting I'd tell myself only 4-beers today (Mind you I found my favorite craft beers all above 7% abv. Before I knew I'd drive like an idiot to grab another 4-pack of the same, telling myself only 1 more to wake up the next day with the entire 4-pack gone) No biggie I'll stop tomorrow. This cycle went on for a while. Then I'd switch to whiskey because I'd sip it well you can imagine how that went!
5. Stop Again Start Again over and over...The Vicious Cycle Began

After a SERIOUS ultimatum from my fiancee. I knew I better do something NOW because I told myself right then I wouldn't let a bottle of something I can by at a gas station ruin my future marriage. So how did I get to Day 7 so fast...

1. ADMIT I HAVE A PROBLEM; I AM A ALCOHOLIC
2. ADMIT I'M A BIG POWERFUL MAN; I CAN'T CONTROL THIS "DISEASE"
3. I CAN'T DO IT ALONE AND IT'S OKAY
4. FIND AND USE ALL AVAILABLE RESOURCES (IE: SoberRecovery, My Fiancee, Self-Help, Mindfullness, Diet and Exercise, Gratitude, Church and more.
5. THIS SITE IS A GODSEND; WE AREN'T ALONE; Some folks path may be easier or more difficult...use it as a tool and inspiration. We all have similar correlations, making it easier to recognize our problem and not be a shamed.
6. I CHOSE TO TREAT MY ALCOHOLISM AS A DISEASE...IF I HAD CANCER I'D WANNA KICK IT'S ASS...SO I'M DOING THE SAME WITH ALCOHOL.
7. USE A SOBRIETY APP
8. WHEN IN DOUBT ABOUT USING OR COPING "GET ON THIS SITE"
9. STAY BUSY AND ACTIVE (If getting anxious distract yourself with whatever works for you: cooking, cleaning, exercising, walking, whatever! It WILL GO AWAY

I simply take it ONE DAY AT A TIME. Cliche I know, but setting LOFTY goals this early on to me makes us more likely to fail. Small victories in battle lead to winning the war.

I also treat in two phases Mentally and Physically.

Mentally: I drank because of Anxiety and Depression both which increase dramatically with life's stresses. If I address the anxiety and depression it will help reduce my desire fore alcohol.

When anxious I deep breath til it's gone. I find the good in my day and life no matter how big or small. I STOPPED caffeine. I was a energy drink junkie! Guess what it increases your anxiety and your chance of drinking ten-fold. I started reading...I'M NOT A READER but it soothes my mind and distracts me from stress and drinking.

Physically: I always worked out but when drinking it never felt amazing. Thru eating and staying hydrated my workouts are once again a great outlet. When I have that feeling of treating my body well I'm less likely to want to put toxins right back in it.

I also treat this as a disease as for-mentioned. I ONLY GET ONE LIVER. When it shuts down and so do you. I have too much good to live for and too much living to do. I started a Liver Detox, Kudzu Root (Natural Supplement that cleanses the liver and REDUCES CRAVINGS FOR ALCOHOL, I always drank tons of water but I've added white cranberry juice to offset the sweetness I was craving in my energy drinks. If I'm hungry I eat. When full you are less app to drink. If you workout like me or want to I simply eat often and healthy something my body can use as healthy fuel and help me have good clean workouts.

Anyway I'm a rookie on here and I just thought a quick post from one newcomer to another would be useful. I found it VERY USEFUL to myself just typing this. Good Luck We Got This!

TGIF!
Old 02-01-2019, 09:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post it sounds like you are on your way to a happy sober life.