Notices

The brain and alcohol/substance abuse

Old 01-28-2019, 10:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The brain and alcohol/substance abuse

OI have been researching the effects of substance/alcohol abuse for years. When I say that, I mean how it relates to my own alcohol/abuse and its impact on my brain function. Everyone is different, like a fingerprint.

I have ADHD, less than 4 percent of people on the planet have it. 2 percent are men, 2 percent women. Most undiagnosed. Most just handed a prescription and go about with life.

There are probably more people out there using the drugs that should not be using/prescribing them. Over-bearing parents, kids, clueless doctors, drug addicts, or just people who need a 'boost'.

My experience with ADHD, undiagnosed for 35 years, is different than the treatment available today. I am 42, turned to alcohol etc in my youth. But the prescription drugs and therapy for ADHD needs to be diagnosed by a psychologist or psychiatrist. A GP is not qualified.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

My drug/alcohol counselor in rehab suspected I had ADHD. Once I got sober and returned to my regular psychiatrist, he concurred. I take modafinil off-label. It's helping.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have adhd but was able to cope because I could sell myself like crazy. I think adhd plays a role in bipolar and depression. I’m 28 now and have about 6 months alcohol free. I work in a professional industry and sit behind a desk all day. 2 previous DUIs, all the major alcoholic tendencies. I was a bottom all day alcoholic who hid it until I couldn’t anymore. Lost my job but ended up getting an even better one. Same path followed at that new job and I realized I had to quit. Once I quit drinking I realized how far behind I was in life and I think my adhd played a vital role in helping me focus on catching up in these past 6 months. I am about to quit my job to start a valid business in my industry. I think risk taking is a component of adhd. I’m still addicted to the risk taking. Now I like to take risks on bettering myself. I am a medical marijuana patient so I use that to sometimes relax. Alcohol really helped me numb my thoughts.

i ended up abusing my scripts and lost the magic. I loved the rush. I don’t recommend smoking but I’d go crazy without. I’ve 180ed my life. I’m very proud but the link of addiction being a symptom of adhd is one that has always interested me. Trying to use the traits of adhd to better one self does too.