Notices

Day 1...Ready to dig deep and become SOBER

Old 01-25-2019, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1...Ready to dig deep and become SOBER

Good Afternoon All! I've tried off and on the past few months to stop drinking completely. I started in a church recovery group a week ago. But have slipped twice since due to overwhelming anxiety, the stress of finding a new job and like many money. These are all excuses that I use alcohol to temporarily numb the pain. I want to start at ground zero, cope with the anxiety and shakiness lately which I find it easier to drink versus whether the few days of coming off alcohol and work towards total sobriety. So here we are now, shaky hands and all. TODAY IS MY FIRST OFFICIAL DAY towards a healthier lifestyle. Any and all tips and pointers are welcomed. ie. advice during this process, good recovery IOS Apps, tools or supplements that actually help with cravings etc. Thank you for your support!
Old 01-25-2019, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The first couple weeks are uncomfortable, no two ways around that. I would say keep reading and posting and if you have people in your church group who you can call that might help a lot too.

Welcome, great decision!
Old 01-25-2019, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and here is a link with lots of info about recovery programs and tips that we have used:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 01-25-2019, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stay busy. Stay very busy. I'm 156 days sober, and when I'm busy, I'm fine....when I get bored....my mind thinks about drinking. I got sober without any help, no AA, no detox. I was "scared straight" by a health issue...dealt with the shaking and night sweats, and kept pushing on. You got this!
Old 01-25-2019, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have a phone app called "EasyQuit drinking". It's not exactly what it says (as it's certainly not an easy task), but it's a simple app that allows you to track the days and health benefits etc. It's free. Every little bit helps.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Anna;7107825]Welcome, and here is a link with lots of info about recovery programs and tips that we have used:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Old 01-25-2019, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Today is my second daughters 17th birthday whom I haven't in well over a year and lives 5-miles (non-drinking related reasons...divorce etc). Any other time today i would wallow in pity and drink because of my sadness BUT today I'm using it as Day 1 to prove I can do it and stay on course hereafter.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I discovered I could use any excuse to drink and it's just not that way. A normal drinker, I don't think, would drink over the things I did. Like stress. It got to I would drink if it were raining. Or sunny. Pretty soon I didn't need an excuse, I just drank.

Congratulations on day one, and remember there's nothing a drink will make better.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Heyyyy, keep posting,keep reading, keep busy 😀. I'm fairly new, joined December 30th 2018, this site has been a God send, no judgement in any way. I hope you find strength from here in your journey. Keep going, your not alone. We are all in this together. Wishing you hope an love🙏💖
Old 01-25-2019, 01:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support ALL!
Old 01-25-2019, 03:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done chaz, u can do this, im just getting through a day at a time
Old 01-25-2019, 04:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, Chaz!
Old 01-25-2019, 04:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Chaz! You'll find lots of support here.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Chaz22 View Post
So here we are now, shaky hands and all. TODAY IS MY FIRST OFFICIAL DAY towards a healthier lifestyle.
Excellent choice Chaz22!

I remember shaky. Don't think there's too much to be done about that but small doses of sugar seem to help, and stay hydrated.

Also, I'm a big fan of posting! Stay close to SR, and any other support you have. For me, I needed to hang out with sober or at least non-drinking people. I couldn't see people I associated strongly with drinking, and I wanted support when I was alone.

And switch it up. I associated everything from glassware to my route home to days of the week with drinking. Change everything!
Old 01-25-2019, 05:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've been reading for hours of how cravings start because alcohol raises your sugars high so your pancreas increases insulin production immensely causing blood sugars to drop really low causing intense cravings...caffeine does the same. For folks in early stages, you should limit to 1 cup of coffee (90mg of caffeine) to keep from replicating the same metabolic condition making your mind need alcohol. I'd been averaging 3 energy drinks a day (900mg of caffeine) THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT I SHOULD DO. I've also read to increase my VIT B and D intake while eating a CONSTANT nutritional meal frequently! I made great use of day one so far.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
p***enger

Vitamin B, I personally did. They say it's good for the brain and nerves, and mine were shot. I have a minor vit D deficiency so sometimes I supplement that, but I prefer just to see daylight from time to time.

Good job on Day 1!
Old 01-25-2019, 08:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My advice is try your best to think about anything and everything you want to replace drinking with. Start with the things you already have in your life and expand as far as you need to.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Going to bed. Day 1 Complete...with a whole bunch of new goals.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If your best friend/brother/whatever/ect..came to you asking for advice,with the same situation you now have,what would you advise them to do?..Do that and follow through. Drinking over lack of money, that's a direct consequence of one's drinking and/or poor decisions made while drinking(I've been there) is literally insane and counter productive as hell(again..I've been there). Hit up some AA meetings..watch some sober podcast..post here BEFORE you drink when the cravings hit and they will hit! just do not drink that 1st drink no matter what. Took me about a year to get my life back in the direction I want to go,so it takes time,dedication and work,but it's well worth it.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Chad, lovely to hear you getting through Day one

Yeah the first few days are pretty crap. It basically just a matter of sitting it through with a few comforts. My comforts were tea, tobacco and the internet for distraction, or and sleep

I'm sure supplements can quicken the process a little bit and ease the discomfort but I don't really know much about physiological effects of drinking and withdrawals. There is plenty of info on dealing with withdrawals though!

Yeah, so I would just think about getting through the first days first of all keep it simple

All the best Chad we are always here if you are struggling or need to someone to chat to.