Notices

Weekender Thread 25 -28th January 2018

Old 01-28-2019, 09:35 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Is someone haunting a toilet? Maybe no one should answer that.

Good pics Kaily, glad you're feeling a little better now. It's always good to have another Londoner on the thread.

Captain, I hope you are feeling better today too.

Post away about your daughter VMan, after all she's a part of what you are.

I agree with Dragon MidnightBlue, just update your old CV and then you can tweak it later.

I am going to have a green bedroom at some point Manta. It is the exact middle of the visible spectrum ergo the most restful colour. Of course I haven't done any actual work yet.

Been west of London to the town of Reading. Not the one Taylor Swift is from but the one in Berkshire, England. The pearl of the M4 corridor. I believe it is Ricky Gervaise's hometown. Tbh I saw little of it beyond the nondescript business park I was in.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:02 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
MB, someone on SR posted recently that her teenager was looking for a job but found something wrong with every one of them before even getting hired, The SR member said she told the teen, "You don't have to marry it." That hit me, it's one of my frantic thoughts too, "I can't make a wrong decision again! I have to be careful!" Like I have to be in the next job for the rest of my life or something.
Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Bim, I understand " you don't have to marry it" thing. And yet I have more than one experience of having jobs which I wasn't happy about, and always promised myself "tomorrow I will start looking for another job, etc", and tomorrows accumulated into years.
I have a similar thing to counter the "awful-izing" : "they're only hiring you, they're not buying you."

not looking for a job to avoid the bad jobs means you're cutting yourself off from jobs you might like too.

how about doing your CV & seeing how you feel about it? disconnect doing it from sending it off for jobs - once you've done it, see how you feel & only then start thinking about applying for stuff.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:35 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

children are a blessing vman

support to you MNB
Old 01-28-2019, 10:54 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

MB, maybe send out a few CVs with the understanding that you can say no if the details aren't what you want, should you get an offer.

It is OK to say no, but I get you're worried that you will feel obliged to say yes from a practical standpoint.

Throw a few punches here--don't stay on the ropes too long.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:58 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

((((kev))))). I replied to your post on the 24 Hour thread; maybe, try a museum day, they are usually much quieter than the noisy streets of NYC.

Vman, I love your words about your daughter; children are most certainly angels in our lives.

Sao, teal green is a wonderful color Almost any accent color goes with it.

Kaily, what gorgeous photos; what a lovely start to the day.

CaptainHaddock; feel better.

Bim, my grandparents had a fan just like thst. When the downsized, it became my family's.

MB, I agree with the others. A small update to your CV is likely all that is necessary, initially. When you find a job opportunity which interests you, you can 'customize' it.

Manta, well done shutting down that pesky AV.

, Dragon, badge, PJ, andyh, Dee, mariposa, MLD, purps, soberwolf, Taooo, Willow, Freeto, Waterox, Hawkeye, MesaMan, and ALL.

Love.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:40 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Good evening, weekenders.

I am back from the gym, resumed by boxing+crossfit routine. It was hard after that nasty cold, but I am starting to feel more like myself.

Thank you so much for support and great advice.

I think I will do this - just change the old CV a little bit and then keep adjusting it along the way.

I hope a good night sleep will bring clarity of the mind and more warrior-like spirit.

Time to go to bed.

Good night, everyone)
Old 01-28-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Hi Leigh
And hi to all the weekenders

Captain have you tried adding honey to the ginger tea? Delicious and really great for sickness. I hope you’re feeling better soon.

MB just getting the CV out and just looking at it is a good start.
And I love what Bim said about a job, you don’t have to marry it. Takes the pressure off knowing that if you don’t like it you don’t have to stay in it. Maybe give yourself a timeframe. eg If I don’t like it after 1 month/1 week/6 months (any time frame you choose) I promise myself I’ll leave. Draw up a contract with yourself and get someone else to witness it perhaps. Thanks Bim

Hi ((((Kev))))) nice to see you. Try and find some quiet time. Tell your boyfriend you need a rest and quiet time x

Woohoo 6! happy birthday for Wednesday miniVman I still love Peter Rabbit. And Winnie the Pooh, my all time favourite bear from my childhood ❤️
Old 01-28-2019, 02:15 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Hi Weekenders! I have been so busy lately, it's hard to find time to read and post.

My trip to Belize was fantastic - everything I hoped for and then some. I had a lovely time and I'll be going back for sure. I did all kinds of fun stuff, relaxed, ate great food, met some lovely people. Just what a vacation should be.

I will try to find time to post some pictures later.

Hope everyone made it through Monday in one piece!
Old 01-28-2019, 06:51 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Looking forward to Pictures MLD.

kids are great, if they are someone elses. ;^>

My little girl turns 20 this weekend. She a little freaked by it, no longer a teen. I'm taking her out $hopping for her birthday.

Love marmite toast Cap'n. I finished my jar last week & forgot to buy more. Now I'll have to wait 'till Friday.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:40 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders.

Back to the grindstone for me today. This is on the back of a very vivid dream I had last night, highlighing all my work related stress and insecurities, mostly to do with a very nearly unmanageable workload. For example, I arrived at work wearing only a shirt, tie and underpants, which no one seemed to notice or cared to comment on. With me scurrying around much like a headless chicken (no offense meant, Willow), real life colleagues were going about their day calm and collected as cucumbers!

At least I am feeling physically better today.

Congrats on the upcoming daughter birthdays, Vman an Dragon.

MLD, glad you are back and enjoyed you vacation. Looking forward to some pics later. From what I’ve seen on the Internet it looks like an utterly idillic place, with some amazing historic sites!
Old 01-28-2019, 09:14 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Dragon, I’d be interested to know whether you ever manage to open your jar of marmite without first holding it under the warm tap.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:43 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Morning, weekenders.

MLD - Looking forward to those pictures!

Captain - I had a very weird dream tonight too. But somehow it falls under "viewer's supervision required" category I was glad I realized it was just a dream.

Willow - That is a great idea about a contract! I think I will post it here since I asked my fellow weekenders for help with commitment. I will keep reporting about how things go at work. And when a month passes ( I believe based on my previous experience that a month is usually enough to say how work will go on a regular basis), I will be reminded that I made a contract. And I have just one life and there is no need to be miserable most of time.

I got a cold shower again today, so it added an inch to my self-confidence because no way I was feeling like doing it, but did it anyway.

I need more coffee.

Later.

Have a good one!
Old 01-29-2019, 03:54 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

At least you had underpants Cap'n, I've show'n up to work in dreams wearing a little less below the belt (but never forget the safety shoes!). Tho it has been a long while since I've had one of those.

Work was very physical yesterday so I'm a little worn out this morning. Two more days of this and I can go back to my desk job.

Morning!
Old 01-29-2019, 04:59 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

What is up with those under-dressed at work dreams? I've had those too. Where's Jung when you need him?

Good idea on the contract. Since my last long-term job I've had two that I quit in less than a month because I could just T E L L. Trust your gut. We could call this contract, "The Manta Report." Sounds exotic, and Manta did so well at pulling the plug on her job this week.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:48 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

public underpantedness = emotional vulnerability for me

Who needs Jung
Old 01-29-2019, 06:21 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Morning weekenders, my Sunday and am not sure what is in store for me today. Would like to take the dogs out to find some snow to play in so may do that, or go to the range and get some practice in which is what I should do anyway,, which means it the dogs and snow.

take care all!

badge
Old 01-29-2019, 06:31 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

In other news, it's so cold here that classes have been cancelled at the university starting at noon today and then all day tomorrow. This NEVER happens. Public schools (k-12) didn't have school yesterday, and will be closed until Thursday morning, as it stands now. I'm supposed to use my "best judgement" on whether or not to go to work at the university tomorrow, but I already know I'm not going to. It's supposed to be -30 F air temperature tomorrow morning, with wind chills around -55 or worse. No thanks. I'll be "working from home." (That really means checking my e-mail every once in a while and doing housework.)
Old 01-29-2019, 06:43 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Sober since October

So, I updated my CV - made minimum changes.

Replied to two positions .

I feel like I've done a few hours of heavy manual labor)

Would you believe I am going for ice-skating again tomorrow. Another "not-a-date".

Ok, boxing later. It will clear my head.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:50 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

You're making progress, MB! That's great!
Old 01-29-2019, 06:57 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Thank you, Marty!

Stay warm)