Notices

How long until you felt better?

Old 01-24-2019, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long until you felt better?

Hi SR, obviously I’m very impatient for my life to improve. When did you start feeling like your life was getting better after becoming sober? Thanks for all answers and support here. Im failing to make my sobriety a priority maybe due to my impatience.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Mariposa. It took many months for me to feel better and at 1 year I feel very happy and secure in my sobriety It just takes time and it varies for everyone. I drank for 15 years so for it to take one year to feel better isn’t so bad 😊
Old 01-24-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Somewhere in the 13th month I woke up and it was like the first day of spring. My brain fog let up and I just felt good. The first year was pretty much one day at a time for me, then everything changed.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me several months before I began to feel better and more hopeful. The biggest thing I did to feel better was to start practicing gratitude every day. Being grateful can make you happier too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 01-24-2019, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The first time around, it took at least a month before I felt better.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel great and I have done since about Day 20
Old 01-24-2019, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You are newly sober. It's going to take a while. As for blaming impatience on your relapses, I looked at your past posts. You attributed a lot of things for your relapses. Since these things aren't likely to go away, you need to develop the coping skills to deal with them without alcohol.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It varies from person, to experiences, to time drank, the important thing is it WILL get better.

Just plan today, and how you will stay sober today.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's been three weeks and I'm only just starting to feel better
Old 01-24-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

a lifetime of sobriety is a marathon , not a sprint. At a year I changed, at 3 years I changed some more. I will say that the first 30 days of sobriety were pretty interesting. I learned a lot.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
totfit

After taking steps to make things get better. Getting sober did not make things better for me. It only made me able to take the steps. Had I just quit drinking and done nothing else, I certainly would have felt physically better, but nothing else would have changed.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A couple of months at least for the brain fog to fully leave.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Physically-about 30days before I felt 100%. Mentally-a little over 1yr(although I went through a break up around the 45day mark,so I attribute that for some 'delay'). Financially(business stuff)- around 1.5yr to get back on 'track' with my current/future ventures.I'm still rebuilding some personal relationship stuff a little after 2yrs.

When I'd try to rush back to 'normal' I always ended up drinking,so on this last quit I just let 'stuff' unfold on it's schedule and accepted that I would not be getting evrything back and that's ok.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A few months at least. I feel better now. It's been over 6 months. Give it time.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Mari,

I'm going on 4 years without being intoxicated and i still feel like it is getting better.

I think other things play into it. Things like number of relapses, fitness, sleep, diet etc etc etc.

Bottom line is booze is poison. We all here know that and now we have a dog in the fight.

Suffering is the only way i know out. Being clean has been highly liberating for me.

I have moments of off and on a crippling doubt, but i also have moments of extreme confidence that i can only explain as a miracle.

I thank God constantly.

I never want to go through this healing process again. I am turning back into a fit person and plan to keep it that way.

Amen.

Thanks.

On any day i go from feeling amazing to feeling like i am going to fall over.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all for support, I’ve had 14 weeks before and really was so much stronger. Today is my day, to get back on this track and hopefully in a few weeks I’ll be stronger than today. I’m really at a low point but feeling hopeful. I don’t know how my friends and family tolerated me. I’m surrounded by only negative people because the good people couldn’t handle my out of control behavior.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Mariposa, it took several months for me to feel emotionally stable. It got better and better after that. Then some life stuff happened which was out of control, and that turned my world upside down again. I did not relapse. But at that time, I started to realize I was lacking in my emotional sobriety and needed to focus on this along with staying away from alcohol (and other unhealthy coping behaviors).

If you are caught in a sober-relapse cycle, you may not really start to feel better until you’ve had extended sustained sobriety. Alcohol is a depressant and messes with our brain chemistry.

As least said, practicing daily gratitude was also key for my recovery. Therapy, running and yoga, meditation have been too. I don’t think it would have been possible for me to stay sober long term without changing myself and using new coping skills.

I hope you can work on a plan for long term. Life is so much better sober.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you all and no matter when, each day after day 1,2,3 gets better. I really have to start with the mindset of each day of “not today devil” so hard for me, mom is very sick, brother in law cancer, I’m unemployed, overweight,planning a wedding.... my head is spinning. I overthink everything, so stressed. My health is suffering, severe stomach pain, I have to drink pediolyte some days because of the pain. I guess this maybe where I finally go to meetings, can’t do this alone anymore.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

I felt better pretty early in sobriety as I worked the 12 steps of AA after struggling for over 25 years to stay stopped! I will have 8 years in May and I still have moments of clarity (which remain!), so I think I am still healing after many years of drinking!
Old 01-25-2019, 03:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

For me there have been many different stages of feeling better in many different ways. Physically I felt better after a few days when the withdrawals were over, mentally it took a few months until I no longer felt completely anxious and fuzzy brained most of the time and was able to read longer texts again etc. Many other things started improving when I started to work on them, when I actively took steps to make things better and made some positive changes to my life like seeing a therapist, reflecting on my friendships and which of them are worth keeping in sobriety, started going to meetings and working the steps with a sponsor I felt safe with, I also started taking a very light antidepressant which helped a great deal. I know this topic is a little controversial, especially in AA but for me that was one of the necessary changes to make my life manageable again. Most things will take a while though but if you keep going and keep working on it, they will improve little by little and it is so worth it! Good luck