Notices

How long until you felt better?

Old 01-25-2019, 05:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Mari,

I'm going on 4 years without being intoxicated and i still feel like it is getting better.

I think other things play into it. Things like number of relapses, fitness, sleep, diet etc etc etc.

Bottom line is booze is poison. We all here know that and now we have a dog in the fight.

Suffering is the only way i know out. Being clean has been highly liberating for me.

I have moments of off and on a crippling doubt, but i also have moments of extreme confidence that i can only explain as a miracle.

I thank God constantly.

I never want to go through this healing process again. I am turning back into a fit person and plan to keep it that way.

Amen.

Thanks.

On any day i go from feeling amazing to feeling like i am going to fall over.
i like this closing quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Some people just quit drinking and before long, like 2 or 3 weeks, they are chirpy and full of life and super happy to be sober ... they're the lucky ones.

Some people its a few months, some it's a few years.

If things don't start to get better after a few months, I'd recommend you consider that booze wasn't the only problem and that maybe you were masking other issues with booze .... so that means when you can't mask with booze anymore, you have to find ways to change the way you feel without resorting to a drink.

Its not a one size fits all kinda deal getting sober.

Personally, I've used the AA steps, book and meetings. Its really designed for people who's problem wasn't solely booze, but simply booze headed a list of other issues and you can deal with those as you grow in sobriety.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thoughts to add to the varied experience above. It's just that - varied, because every single one of us is different. The main connection between all of us is that it takes time, to heal overall. Some parts feel better than others more quickly - most of us also begin to experience ups and downs as we become "normalized" w/o alcohol.

Have you read the book Living Sober? It is a great, easy read about the first year of sobriety. It might be very helpful to you as I think you said your longest stretch sober is 14 wks. I was VERY sick when I quit, saw a good leap forward around 100 days after going thru tremendous withdrawal and for quite a while longer what is commonly called PAWS.

Whether or not anyone experiences Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (basically, what can happen after the alcohol literally leaves your body) as severely as I did - this site gives a great overview of the healing a lot of us experience to some degree (note that some folks above mention 1 year or so) -
www.digital-dharma.net - click the tab PAWS.

Last comment/question (and I may have missed it on your other threads) - what are you doing to get sober this time, and stay that way? I mean this by what program are you working as well as what health and mind related things have you begun?

TRULY last comment because it is the most critical, IMO: I will go to any lengths, at any costs to (get, coming on 3 yrs ago) and stay sober. If that meant taking a wedding, an upcoming family "obligation," even a job off the table, I would and do make that "no" decision.

Nothing - nothing- is worth more than my recovery. Putting it first lets me have everything else.

It is solely up to you if you make this your last start. I don't believe we get an infinite number of chances.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The first time I quit, it took me about two months before I really felt better. But each day after day 1 I got a little stronger.

Since my initial quit, I managed 4 and a half months sober. Then I relapsed a few times since, but only for a day at a time. I now feel better within a few days. I think that initial 4 and a half month sober time really allowed my brain chemistry to restore to normality.

So now, even when I've relapsed, i've been back in a good place very quickly.

I think how long it takes to feel better depends on how long and hard you have been abusing alcohol. If you've been drinking heavily every day for years, expect it to take a significant period of time.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I felt better within a week when I quit. Once I started being able to sleep through the night - which took a few days - things turned around. I felt much happier, less depressed, and the blackness and pessimism lifted.

After 8 weeks, my body felt much, much healthier. I lost a lot of bloat and wine belly, and I dropped a few pounds quickly. I got ripped. I always describe it like a switch flipped. I was exercising a lot in my early recovery, and my body really began to respond at that point.

At 6 months, I began to suffer social anxiety. It took up to 2 years of sobriety to sort out. It was intermittent, would affect me now and again in public speaking scenarios. More evidence to me that the chemistry of our brain and central nervous system gets so messed up by alcohol, it takes years to fully reset. But dealing with anxiety sober was far far better than drinking.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

you have so much going on and must be under so much pressure. I think it is unrealistic though to think it will all magically be ok by day 30. Of course hopefully you'll feel better. I feel better each day but then some days I feel really bad but that's just life. I echo what others have said about not rushing things. Definitely not rushing into a marriage. 'Having' to get married must put pressure on anyone and surely not the best way to go especially so early on in sobriety. Mend yourself before making a commitment to anyone else. Wishing you all the best