Notices

Anxiety giving way to anger

Old 01-23-2019, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety giving way to anger

Back to work today after the second Tuesday in a row I had to take annual leave because of a sickening hangover.

The anxiety has giving way to anger and strong resentment. AA does have a lot of good points and recognises resentment as one of the biggest causes of allcohollism.

Thers is a lot of negatives videos on YouTube about AA saying it’s dangerous and bad for the mental health.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

If AA works for you, that's great. If not, find another way to pursue your recovery. Take a look around here and you will see lots of ideas for getting sober and recovery.

I agree with you about dealing with resentments. It's hard to do because it requires a lot of personal honesty, but it's worth it.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi HC, resentment was a big one for me. It is horrible for mental health (regardless of drinking problems) and it was a trigger for me always when I was actively drinking. I couldn’t think rationally about it, though, or take ownership and get a grip on it until I started to get sober. I have not gone to AA. But I have read and practiced the twelve steps (resentment is in there big time), and I still work on these.

There are so many options for support in recovery. Have you considered therapy?
Old 01-23-2019, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

do you have any clear idea of WHAT you are angry at or about and WHAT it is that you resent?

whatever those people, places and things are, drinking will not do one thing about them. not.one.thing.

it's pretty normal in the first few days off booze to feel like crap. try not to be surprised, it just is what it is. it's not personal, it's the physical process that your body must go thru. nothing more. and if you never ever drink again, you will never ever feel this way.

moreover, if you commit to a program of recovery that gets into the why's and wherefores, you will be able to manage your emotions, and life life on life's terms.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you are posting. Do you know about the basics of AA, the program, and how it works? There is a lot of info around and IMO and IME it's important to separate facts first, from opinion or such, on any recovery method. I don't know much about SMART or AVRT for example so I have done a little research so I can be knowledgeable enough to share that info with the group I lead for the restaurant industry.

A good place to read about AA is - https://www.12step-online.com/resources/how-it-works/
This is an online support group and the page I linked to is the basic "bones" - what AA is actually about, the steps, and how it works.

AA is NOT a place for mental health counseling. That's a whole other matter and one that is definitely important to me as I struggle with anxiety too. Resentments are indeed a "biggie" in Aa (and IMO in life!) - they are also addressed beginning in Step 4, so starting with 1 (acceptance that we are powerless over alcohol, and that our lives have become unmanageable) is where you should look, taking ea step in sequence w a sponsor.

You should be able to find a number for your local AA chapter and talk to someone, even see about finding a mtg or someone agreeing to meet you at one.

I'm a dedicated AA person and went to it after a long time railing against it for no good reason than I wanted to keep drinking. It is not the only way to get and stay sober, as plenty of folks here can share. It IS one that is immediately available and free, and IMO never a bad idea to give a legitimate shot -

The real question is do you want to stop drinking for good? If so, AA is one way you can do that.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies. Yes I want to give up alcohol. I will read the AA link.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thers is a lot of negatives videos on YouTube about AA saying it’s dangerous and bad for the mental health.
The internet is fill of people who think the earth is flat and the Royal Family are actually lizards in disguise...just sayin'

do AA, don't do AA the choice is yours man - but I think you need to do something more than what you've been doing because honestly?

that ways not working HC.

D
Old 01-23-2019, 04:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Highercall View Post

More dangerous than your drinking?