Notices

Question about health changes you've noticed

Old 01-20-2019, 07:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about health changes you've noticed

Almost at the end of day 18.

I would love to hear from people that are on this sober journey with me as to the positive health benefits you have experienced over time.

Weight loss, hair, blood pressure, dark circles, complexion, sleep patterns, etc. Thanks in advance!
Hope
Old 01-20-2019, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hair - while I was drinking my hair felt like dry straw instead of human hair. Now it feels like human hair again.

Blood pressure - my BP was off the charts, now it is normal

Dark circles - those are gone

Complexion - the puffiness in the face is completely gone, now my skin is healthy

Sleep patterns - I get 6-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep and wake up refreshed. When I was drinking I would be unconscious but never wake up feeling rested. 2:00 in the afternoon was my standard wake up time on the weekends.

Weight - I never had a weight problem as I am an ectomorph. In college though I started lifting weights because I was too skinny. During the 15+ years when I was drinking heavily I was still going to the gym.

Now that I'm sober I can see that my workouts were similar to attempting to drive with the emergency brake engaged. At the age of 40 I am in the best physical shape of my life. I can lift with an intensity that my hung over mid 20s self never could.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I just turned 9 yrs sober last month. The first thing I noticed is that I looked better. I've been told I look younger. The best part of sobriety is my good sleep. I got to sleep feeling good and wake up the same way.

It took me a few weeks to get into a good sleep pattern. I started feeling the benefits of sobriety at around 3 months sober.

One thing I was told, to bolster my sobriety, was to practice gratitude every day. It was hard at first but I made it into a habit, and it's been very good for my attitude.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh boy, the changes.
I can sleep. I eat now, vegetarian. I work out three times a week. I've turned fat into muscle. The fear and anxiety of leaving the house has gone away. That's a big one.
I can think clearly. I have more energy.
Most of all, I take care of myself, which I neglected for twenty years.
Blood pressures normal.
I could go on with small things, but those are the big ones.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am just at 4 months. My skin was a wreck when I was drinking, the dryness and peeling completely healed in just a few weeks. My eyes are now clear, and no dark bags underneath. The puffiness is gone too, and my face looks so much thinner. Also all the panic attacks and heart palpitations I was getting completely stopped. My blood sugar was dangerously low drinking also, that has cleared up as well. I feel so much better, physically and mentally.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was very bloated from alcohol and I didn't realize how bad it was until I finally stopped. The difference in my appearance was kind of shocking. I'd always been fairly active, but sixty pounds just poured off me (and then I put ten or so back on by giving my new and festive sweet tooth free reign, but I'm cool with that).

My skin went to heck and back. At about three to four months, I started to wonder if I had some exotic skin condition that I couldn't google. But in all fairness to my body, I'd never spent any time since I hit puberty NOT drinking, so I guess I had pimple and hormonal rollover minutes. After it had voiced its displeasure with me for six weeks or so, that went away too.

Sleep was monumental. I'd told myself for years I drank because I couldn't sleep without it. But of course, alcohol totally messes up your internal rhythms and the sleep you get once you're sober is an entirely different, blissful animal. Even when things are hectic as all get out and I know I'm going to get four hours of sleep tops in a night, I can actually function the next day and be there for my family and my work and the random strangers in the street.

The biggest change is emotional for me. I have some self worth. I have moments of joy, or sadness, or annoyance, or whatever that I actually feel and process and experience. I'm starting to get to a life that doesn't involve shame or guilt as a majority stockholder.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences. Did anyone notice anything with their nails? I'm afraid that I may have Terry's Nails, although no doctor or dermatologist has been able to diagnose the problem.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What does freedom look like on you? It’s different for everyone.

I’ve lost a lot of weight, and I think I technically have more wrinkles on my face due to that, but there’s a brightness about me that I can see in the mirror.

I feel so much better.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used to get wicked heartburn when I’d drink. I hardly ever get it anymore!
Old 01-21-2019, 01:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Literally every part of my mind and body improved as my sober time grew.

Everything.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post
Literally every part of my mind and body improved as my sober time grew.

Everything.
^^^THAT!!

To specifics - since others mentioned it, first thing is that my complexion is dramatically different and people started noticing that around 6 mo, much faster than I did The comparison in my 2018 drivers license and 2015 one (I got sober about 6 mo after that summer 2015 pic and will have 3 yr next mo) is incredible.

There are pretty much endless things that are better. And definitely nothing that is worse. I still struggle with sleep, and I take meds to keep my thyroid regulated and I had a serious back injury last year that is now in a rebuilding my strong yoga practice stage - but I'd say those are pretty good 42 yr old probs to have for anyone, let alone someone who nearly killed herself when drinking.

I just mentioned this on another thread - two great things to check out are the book Living Sober, a good & easy read about the first year of sobriety; and www.digital-dharma.net under the tab PAWS. You might not have extended symptoms of the syndrome like I did, but it is a good overview of the first 6 mo, year, 2 even.

Keep going - glad you are here!
Old 01-21-2019, 06:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

13 months sober

Weight loss: Ate everything in sight, especially sweets, for first 6 months. Second 6 months, joined a site called Spark People to track calories, and started walking. Lost 40 pounds.

Hair: No longer dry, no flaky scalp.

Blood Pressure: Not sure, although my entire life nurses would always say, "wow, that's great!" until the last couple years of my drinking.

Dark Circles: Gone

Complexion: Red face, puffiness, watery eyes, all gone. I definitely look younger.

Sleep Patterns, etc. I no longer wake up at 3 or 4 a.m. with crushing anxiety and panic.

Bottom line: I look and feel like a completely different person.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stronger2017 View Post
I used to get wicked heartburn when I’d drink. I hardly ever get it anymore!
I used to get that as well. I was constantly taking Prilosec. I really didn't connect the two until you mentioned it. I haven't had to take it since I stopped drinking! Thanks.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HopefulYear777 View Post
Almost at the end of day 18.

I would love to hear from people that are on this sober journey with me as to the positive health benefits you have experienced over time.

Weight loss, hair, blood pressure, dark circles, complexion, sleep patterns, etc. Thanks in advance!
Hope
While drinking I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, severe acid reflux, very dry skin and eyes, plus pretty painful peripheral neuropathy , and was tired most of the time. Because of the dry skin I almost always had very uncomfortable cracks in my feet and fingers, in spite of using skin creams.

Since quitting drinking six years ago, my blood pressure is in the normal range, cholesterol level has improved, skin and eye dryness is not a problem any more. I only get acid reflux if I eat too much late at night. My toes are still a bit numb from peripheral neuropathy, but without pain, and the condition has improved. I sleep much, much better - though a lot of that is because I am now retired, and there is much less stress.

A number of people (including the GP) say that I look a lot healthier.

Also, about a year or so ago I was walking outside and a guy (that I did not recognize) said "Hi Joe, I haven't seen you around for a while". Joe is not my name, it's the name of my son - I had been mistaken for my own son. So, quitting drinking had made me look 28 years younger. Very flattering.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello,

I noticed many health benefits: weight loss, clearer skin, clear mind, and do not have that constant sluggish feeling I did when I was drinking.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh that constant sluggish feeling is the worst!
Old 01-21-2019, 05:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well this may be too much information, but I suffered from chronic constipation for years and doctor's were never able to pin down why. Just a few weeks after I quit drinking 11 months ago, it went away never to return again. It never occured to me that my drinking was the cause of this but it had to have been.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My complexion was somewhat on ashen pallor.

My hair was stiff.

My eyes stayed red.

I had gout and dermatitius (that I thought was psoriasis).

I hobbled around.

Those days are gone.

I have been blessed with some great help since I have been sober.

And happiness and freedom.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My cognitive impairment has diminished meaning I can keep my depression at bay.
My skin is healthy
My eyes are bright
My brain has become a sponge for new information
I can think 10 steps ahead in my job
I am physically fitter
I get REM sleep
I lost weight ( people say I’m underweight but my bmi is perfect)
I very rarely get run down
My bank balance is healthier
My business projection is on a steady incline and growing
My home life is healthier.
Oh I am alive ( can’t forget that one)

Not worth throwing all that away for ‘just one drink “
Old 01-21-2019, 07:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I can hold silverware without wondering if anyone notices the shaking.

I also had many of the other physical improvements, including the loss of 35 pounds, and a return to normalcy for my BP and heartbeat. I'm wearing belts again.

I still have anxiety for all the normal reasons humans have anxiety, but I'm no longer beneath a constant alcohol-induced fear cloud that only alcohol could free me from.