Notices

2 weeks as of today

Old 01-20-2019, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 weeks as of today

I was a binge drinker for years. Drinking countless beers and shots never seemed to be a problem until this past year. I started doing it a minimal of 3 times a week. I couldn't have just a couple of drinks, I would get blackout drunk so I finally made the decision to quit.

I still spend time at my local bar but now I drink water or soda. It may not be the ideal environment but my social circle is still there. A few people have given me grief about hanging out in a bar while not drinking, but most have been supportive. Instead of running up an $80 tab on myself, I'll now buy a beer for a few friends while we throw darts or watch whatever game is on TV.

It's been 2 weeks now and I'm definitely feeling the benefits. My wallet is fuller, I've lost weight, and have even started working out again. Occasionally the temptation to have "just one beer" creeps up but I try to remind myself that I'm not wired like that. Plus I don't want to lose the feeling of being generally healthier. My next big goal is to quit smoking cigarettes(middle of next month). Hopefully the strength I've gained from quitting drinking will carry over to that battle.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on two weeks sober!
Old 01-20-2019, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're doing well. I don't know that I would trust myself in a bar at my just-short-of-three weeks but people need to socialize too. You might want to think if there are other ways you can spend time with friends or maybe explore some new activities that result in meeting other people in a non-drinking atmosphere. Regardless, the goal is to not drink and you seem to be successful there so far.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard Zombie - congrats on 2 weeks

D
Old 01-20-2019, 04:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on two weeks.
I have ten years sober and still stay clear of bars, although I buy my cigarettes at a liquor store. That's as close as I want to get.
I do go to bars because I spent thirty years in them. But by and large I've changed my drinking buddy friends.
It gets a little tedious watching others get drunk.
I heard a saying, once, in AA. Hang around a barber shop long enough and you're going to get a haircut.

I've found a new life now. Bars are boring and I don't want that haircut.
I've spent enough time in bars. I know all too well what they're like and don't need to be reminded. I've lost interest. And spend my time enjoying life and have done away with my old life.
I don't feel like I'm missing a thing.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Zombie,

I keep reading and learning. The internet is powerful stuff.

There was more to this booze thing than I thought.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's wonderful to have you join us, zombie. You're doing a great thing for yourself. Congrats on 2 wks. We're glad you're here!