Notices

Hi, new to the forum

Old 01-21-2019, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
WJ3

Hi, new to the forum

Hi all,

I have made the decision to finally give up the booze for good and stumbled on this site during my google search travels. It seemed like such a welcoming community and the amount of knowledge/experience, and willingness of people to share it is quite special.

A little about myself. I have been a functional binge drinker (every second day at least!) for about 5 years. I have two amazing young girls and a supportive, if not nearly fed up wife who I love dearly. I suffered from anxiety and panic disorder during my younger years and as a result of my drinking, it has unfortunately returned. After a lot of research about different recovery methods the one that resonated with me immediately was AVRT, so this is what I am choosing as the foundation of my recovery. I have completed the crash course and purchased the RR book which I can't wait to get into. That's enough from me, looking forward to meeting and getting to know everyone here.

Thanks for reading.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and it sounds like you have a good plan. I hope that AVRT works well for you. And, I hope you consider to read and post on SR.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. Glad you made the decision to quit. Lots of friends here. 24/7.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

WJ3 - thanks for posting. I've heard of AVRT but don't know what it is. What resource did you find helpful and where did you locate it? I'm working on my plan and I'd like to read more about it and consider it.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!
I used AVRT and the wonderful SR forums to get sober. Have almost 4 years now.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome aboard. I hope you find this place helpful and feel free to post whenever you want to.
You'll find lots of support here.
Best to you on your new journey.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
WJ3

Originally Posted by OtterIsland View Post
WJ3 - thanks for posting. I've heard of AVRT but don't know what it is. What resource did you find helpful and where did you locate it? I'm working on my plan and I'd like to read more about it and consider it.
Hi OtterIsland, I'm not able to post a link but if you google Rational Recovery you will be sure to find it.

There is also a great detailed explanation in the stickies on the secular connections forum.

The thing I have found most helpful about this method is that I take back control, and don't have to rely on outside influences.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR WJ3

D
Old 01-21-2019, 06:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful to have you with us, WJ! This is a friendly community with plenty of encouragement for you. Life is about to get so much better.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-21-2019, 08:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Good on ya for quitting.

AVRT/RR is a cornerstone of my recovery, another is Step 1 of 12 Step. They are not as incompatible as they seem, at least in my wacky world. Make a plan, but keep it flexible. The correct method, or part of a method, is the one that keeps you sober. Period.

Welcome!
Old 01-22-2019, 02:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
WJ3

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Good on ya for quitting.

AVRT/RR is a cornerstone of my recovery, another is Step 1 of 12 Step. They are not as incompatible as they seem, at least in my wacky world. Make a plan, but keep it flexible. The correct method, or part of a method, is the one that keeps you sober. Period.

Welcome!
Hi MindfulMan, AVRT/RR is just the method that made the most sense to me right off the bat. I'm not sure what Step 1 of the 12 steps involves, but I certainly wouldn't discard anything that would help no matter where it is from. I will continue doing research and looking around here for anything that may be helpful, I'm only on my 3rd day but so far AVRT has worked well.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Walk on

Great to see you are somebody who is doing the right things and making progress. This community has really helped me, seeing how hard other people are on themselves and the regret/self hate is something I can relate to and has really helped me to understand myself and forgive myself.

Admitting its a problem and fully committing and seeking help has made a huge difference too. Hopefully this community will help you as much as it's helped me.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to SR WJ3! You'll find lots of support here.

Good luck!
Old 01-23-2019, 10:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum WJ3!!