Notices

New with a few questions!

Old 01-20-2019, 12:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New with a few questions!

Hey everybody. I have a few questions, although I also plan on sticking around in the long-term because this seems like a really nice community to be a part of. I'm also going to go to a doctor just to make sure everything is cool and good, but I wanted to ask a community of people if they happened to share this experience at all.

I'm another NYE quitter, so I'm 20 days in and I'm still battling sleeplessness, stomach upset, and general symptoms of mild withdrawal. Is this, in your opinion, normal at all? I've gone 90 days at my peak, but I can't quite remember if this happened to me last time.

Thanks to anyone for chiming in
Old 01-20-2019, 12:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome xNOiSEx

All that is certanly familiar to me. Glad you're running it by a Dr tho - best way to go to be safe

Looking forward to seeing you around

D
Old 01-20-2019, 12:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Welcome to SR NOiSE and congrats on 20 days, the early days are the toughest to keep up the good work!!

Nothing you have put above sounds out of the ordinary in the first few months of sobriety, but, if you are worried it is always best to get checked over by the Dr for peace of mind. Some people have these symptoms for a few weeks and others a few months but as long as the Dr says there is nothing else wrong with you they should lessen with more sober time. Trouble with sleep is very common and I found getting up early, getting out walking and exercising everyday helped, also sleep meditation helped a lot too as it helped to settle my racing mind xx
Old 01-20-2019, 02:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, xNOiSEx, many people who quit experience those symptoms for a while, but it's a good choice you've made to get checked out for your health anyway. It gives you a baseline of measures that you can see on things from the beginning of your recovery and to make sure that there are not other things to watch for now. For example, I had high triglycerides and liver enzymes when I was given blood work, all of which returned to normal later.

My sleep patterns have changed long-term, but then again I had been drinking so many years that I don't know what 'normal' on that really should be for me, and I've adjusted to what works pretty well now, even if it's not what many people experience.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like run of the mill stuff.
Your body’s ph level gets messed up when you drink the poison.
Lots of repairs will be taking place.
It’s a fantastic thing the human body.
Well done on 20 days keep up the good work.
Good on you for seeing the doc too.

Take care be kind to yourself
Old 01-20-2019, 02:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As others have said, all seems normal.

For me, uncomfortable pain in the liver area took about a year to go. Now at nearly 18 months my sense of smell is starting to return from not being able to smell anything at all.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome & glad you are here. Like others said, this all sounds very much like my experience - and for quite a bit longer. Most who have stopped multiple times describe differences in the experience at some point. Since this is another start for you - make this one the last and it will get better.

You mention the 90 day mark - I found a pretty noticeable shift forward around 100 days. I was VERY sick when I quit so it took me a lot longer to heal on the whole (I have 1101 days today so headed to 3 yrs). Comparing w others didn't help, though hearing what I was experiencing was very common did!

Perhaps check out the book Living Sober- it's a good and easy read about the first year of sobriety.

Glad you are here and stay with us.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Best thing is to see your doctor if you're concerned.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Congratulations on 20 days of sobriety. That's terrific.

Hopefully you will start to feel better soon. But, it's a good plan to talk to your dr. This really is a great community and I'm glad you plan to stick around.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome

Firstly, congratulations on 20 days, that's an amazing achievement!

SR is a really great, diverse community with loads of help and advice on how to stay stopped, it's helped me immensely so I hope that you will hang around. What you are experiencing does sound normal, it takes a while for our brains and bodies to adjust to the lack of alcohol and it does put a strain on us whilst the brain tries to normalize and realize that it now needs to start providing the functions that alcohol had taken over.

It's these initial withdrawal symptoms that cause most people to relapse because they expect to feel much better than they do much faster, but if you have been drinking for a sustained period of time you won't feel fabulous overnight.

Keep it up and visit here a lot, good luck
Old 01-20-2019, 11:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, congrats on 20 days. Good idea to see your doctor. I did the same and it was helpful to me.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Another ‘normal’ from me too.

Be good to see you in the January class where you’ll find a bunch of us “January Quitters”.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 20 days NOiSE!

There is nothing out of the ordinary as far as symptoms go so nothing to worry about. The sleeplessness lasted for some time with me, I kicked that issue by getting up v.early.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I had those issues and many more - everything settled down & mostly disappeared after some healing time.

It's great to have you join us. Best place ever for encouragement. Congrats on your 20 days - we know how hard it is.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great job. These things are totally normal. Keep it going.