Notices

I need help!

Old 01-19-2019, 05:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help!

real serious support to stop relasping. i have been trying to completely stop drinking since 2004. I average about 10 to 14 days clean then I cave; nothing good comes from these 5 to 6 day binges. im desperately want to know why I can feel so determined and comitted to quit and in a blink of an eye Im going to the store. I come on here a lot when Im dry to read. i dont post often, I go to online aa meetings, but dont share. From all the posts I read and the people I hear sharing makes me believe I am missing the mark by not having real relationships with people in recovery who would hopefully know when my relaspe is approaching and could support me to fight back. I cant do this by myself.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mistory5 View Post
real serious support to stop relasping. i have been trying to completely stop drinking since 2004. I average about 10 to 14 days clean then I cave; nothing good comes from these 5 to 6 day binges. im desperately want to know why I can feel so determined and comitted to quit and in a blink of an eye Im going to the store. I come on here a lot when Im dry to read. i dont post often, I go to online aa meetings, but dont share. From all the posts I read and the people I hear sharing makes me believe I am missing the mark by not having real relationships with people in recovery who would hopefully know when my relaspe is approaching and could support me to fight back. I cant do this by myself.
Take a deep breath.

Run a shower or bath. Go to bed. Read a book. Watch motivational videos on YouTube.

Keep posting and replying to every post you see on SR where you think you can share and add opinions.

Keep yourself busy.

The Devil (your AV) makes work for idle hands.

JT
Old 01-19-2019, 06:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mistory
I can only speak from my personal experience I’m in the same place I’m only 15 days I usually give up around 7-14 it’s not easy and definitely isn’t fun but you have to want to be sober more then you want to drink that is the only thing that has got me this far I know you read that and say easier said then done but the only thing you have to do is not pick up that drink and go to bed sober!!!! Try to find something that give you comfort and takes your mind off it stay on here until the feeling passes join a class read until your tired your definitely not alone and you can do it
Old 01-19-2019, 06:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can relate also, mistory. I also don’t know anyone personally in recovery and that feels very isolating sometimes. I’m not joking when I say I haven’t missed a day reading posts on SR though since I gave up. I feel like that has made the difference for me this time because I don’t feel alone and there is so much experience and wisdom here. I also don’t share a lot and that’s part of my underlying problem of choosing alcohol as a coping mechanism. But you’re here, reaching out and asking for help so that’s huge. I agree with what justtony said keep reading, posting and replying and that may help get you through those periods when you’re feeling alone.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mistory, it sounds to me like you have assessed that you need some more structure in your sobriety plan than just stopping for a period of time, letting the feelings respond to your AV and drinking again.

* I got a lot more out of face to face meetings, my choice was AA at the time for a variety of reasons that are unimportant, but I was going every day for quite a while (months) before I was beginning to feel settled more about recovery and the daily option of not drinking.

* I moved on from AA into addressing my problems that were complicating my state, depression and anxiety, and that helped me a lot.

* I have to express any feelings of mental distress or confusion to somebody to keep myself on a level track. I do that here in my class thread and in others on a regular basis.

* I still see an addiction therapist every few months.

* I am working on things other than drinking that bring me comfort, engage my mind in other ways.

* I should be exercising more.

* I practice CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) techniques to help manage my negative emotions and thoughts, because those do come to me (anyone).

* I have an emergency plan for dealing with the idea that I might relapse.

Do you think any of those might be helpful for you? Abstinence and recovery for me require a lot of daily work, no matter how I am feeling. SR is full of great ideas that can help you out with finding things that will work for you, but you need to identify what those are and stick to them all the time.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you reached out to this community. It might be helpful to make a plan to visit here and to post regularly to help keep yourself committed.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I went to meetings, got a sponsor and worked steps. Nothing special, many have done it. You have laid out our thoughts well, follow your heart.
Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that.

" It is a fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. There you will find release from care, boredom and worry. Your imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead. Thus we find the fellowship, and so will you."

Welcome

Alcoholics Anonymous
Pg 152
Old 01-19-2019, 09:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

mistory, sounds like you are identifying some of the things that are part of your troubles.
staying in cyberspace, not sharing and engaging/participating in the meetings you click into...staying on the fringes.
getting really involved made a huge difference for me, and , as has been pointed out, the suggested solution in AA is the stepwork, not the support from others.
support is wonderful and helpful, but can't ultimately be relied upon to be there or be effective. and the idea of support being the crucial element puts the responsibility on others...which is not where it rests.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I come on here a lot when Im dry to read. i dont post often, I go to online aa meetings, but dont share.
maybe you need to do more than that mistory?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
D
Old 01-20-2019, 07:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and encouragement. I was sweeping up the kitchen this morning and I said out loud to myself that the worst agonizing thing about this alcohol problem for me is Im miserable when i'm drinking and miserable when I'm not. Now, how insane is that?
Old 01-20-2019, 07:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's a pretty insane disease we have! Glad you are here - and you're right, you (probably) can't do it alone, and the best news is that you don't have to try.

IRL support is essential for me. Making a plan around AA, and other tools (psych, sober friends, SR, then yoga and plenty of other new habits), keeps me going in recovery. You can find a plan that works for you - starting today.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

You're reaching out right now! Keep doing it and you'll keep moving forward in your recovery. Way to go!!
Old 01-20-2019, 11:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hey Mistory really great to see you
Old 01-20-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi mistory, I can relate to your situation except that I couldn't go as long as 10-14 days in between, 3 or 4 days was as much as I could manage and not even that towards the end.

I think a couple of weeks is the limit of what I could manage on willpower. In the end i took the drastic step of reorganising my waking day so that I slept through my cravings in the evening. It was tough but easier than facing the cravings head on when I would always crumble eventually.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Im miserable when i'm drinking and miserable when I'm not.
the difference is we don't have to stay miserable when we get sober.

Its takes a little time and faith and effort but you can build a sober life you love, and be happy mistory.

No chance of that if we continue drinking.

D
Old 01-22-2019, 08:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ty all so much with for your thoughts, suggestions and mostly taking the time out your day to encourage me. Ty, ty!
Old 01-22-2019, 09:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's hard getting thru early sobriety, but you've got to do it to break the miserable cycle. Try practicing gratitude every day. That helped me a lot.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Mistory: I have a very similar pattern. Now, I have 22 days sober because I made sobriety a round the clock (okay, not when I was sleeping) activity for the first three weeks. Also, I tend to relapse when the withdrawal symptoms start to fade away. Have you thought about why is at 9-10 days? Do you start to tell yourself that you can have one drink and then it turns into a 5-6 day binge?

I did the same thing for twenty years. In my experience, if I would stop for 9-10 days and let the worst symptoms pass then drink heavily for 5-6 days, the symptom of "feeling miserable" would not go away. A sense of lethargy and depression would still be there. It is only with every day sober does that sense of "feeling miserable" start to slowly lift.

I invite you to join the January 2019 thread. Many of us are just starting this month and it's a great, supportive group. You don't have to do this alone. I read what other people are doing to stay sober and then I try to learn from those tools. But I can only think of not drinking one day at a time. One day. Today.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I see you already joined the January 2019 class. Great to have you be part of the group!
Old 01-23-2019, 04:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

How are you today, mistory? Have you stopped drinking? Hope you check in here as well as the Jan class which is great that you joined! My Feb 2016 class was so important to me and there are some folks from it that I still keep in touch with now.