Notices

Weekender Thread 18-21 January 2019

Old 01-19-2019, 04:46 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Afternoon all

A lot of catching up is due from my side, so my apology if I do not yet reply to anything that I might, had I known about it now already (I’m sure there is a more economical way to articulate that which I just tried to say).

Although I’m still sober, I have since about a month ago found myself slowly drifting away from SR, and I say this with the greatest of respect and fondness for each and everyone of you.

I know from past experience that this has often “coincided” with a relapse.
As such I here and now recommit to log on at least once a day, if only to read around the forums. I am giving it the same commitment as to being sober, because I am convinced that there is somehow a strong interdependency between the two.

I am sure hoping at least someone might be able take something from this post.

As for now, I am happily couchlocked, watching the ODI cricket match between South Africa and Pakistan.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:04 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

So, I find myself catching up in drips and drabs.

MesaMan, that sunset pic (at least it looks like sunset to me) you posted yesterday is magnificent!

And Dragon, I see my first post above ties in with one of yours from a day or two ago, where you described the beginning of your journey to where you are now, and staying close to SR throughout.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:27 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I’ll stop in a moment, I promise (I am always, but only in relation to myself, conscious of not “wasting space” on the forum), but Sao, your pic and caption of it being the “aftermath of some pillow fight” got much more than a chuckle from me.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:31 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Many thanks, CH, and to others up-Thread.

Actually, it's Sunrise looking to the S.E. over Valley Fog with some Snow and kinda-rare Humidity combining. Sober Me popped outta Bed a while ago in time to watch a clear Moonset to the West. Never a dull Astrophysics moment up here!

I didn't rack up my Post count by not staying close to SR early on, and I heartily advocate Folks staying close. For this kinda-Introvert anyway, writing gets stuff off my Chest, and out into clarity. Perhaps this is best symbolized by eventually reaching a state of Equanimity and Serenity about Social Scenes:

COMO - Clarity Over Missing Out...

The word 'Conviction' might work too, eh?
Old 01-19-2019, 05:48 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

So many great posts and so many new posters in the thread! I love it.

This thread is kind of my home base. I was posting in my March of 2014 Class thread in the beginning but it petered out and no one posted in there after that first few months. So I just made this my home thread. Weekends were no more difficult or no easier for me as far as drinking, I did most of my drinking at home too but I do think it was really important to plug in somewhere.

I invite you all to make this your Home Base. Just check in, read and post.

+1 on Food & Exercise ARE the Medicine. I had a whack a mole battle with food then alcohol then food in the past. One gets better, the other ramps up. I finally slayed the food dragon only to go back to drinking after 18 years sober back in 2007. Round and round we go. Now they are both at the *right* levels.

I chose not to do any meds either. Been there, got a drawer full of tee shirts...Meds and I don't get along. My depressive episodes were caused by life events drowned in alcohol instead of dealing with them like an adult. Remove the alcohol, and lookie there! I can now deal with life. It didn't happen in the first month or even the first three months, but all is well between my ears now. Mostly. I still use mindfulness, meditation and prayer and set intentions for the day every day and again, good food and exercise daily.

A minor concession to the good life.

Thanks for being here.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:48 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Walk on

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Many thanks, CH, and to others up-Thread.

Actually, it's Sunrise looking to the S.E. over Valley Fog with some Snow and kinda-rare Humidity combining. Sober Me popped outta Bed a while ago in time to watch a clear Moonset to the West. Never a dull Astrophysics moment up here!

I didn't rack up my Post count by not staying close to SR early on, and I heartily advocate Folks staying close. For this kinda-Introvert anyway, writing gets stuff off my Chest, and out into clarity. Perhaps this is best symbolized by eventually reaching a state of Equanimity and Serenity about Social Scenes:

COMO - Clarity Over Missing Out...

The word 'Conviction' might work too, eh?
I think advocating to stay close is a good idea, at least you have somebody new holding you accountable and it gives me incentive, it's easy to disappoint myself but harder to disappoint other people who understand the struggle also and have been able to overcome it. I never imagined myself joining something like this seeking help and now I'm here it suddenly seems a lot more of a real problem and concern.

It's remarkable how much things change when you admit you have a problem, and treat it seriously enough to seek help. Days like today I would of given in definitely as its quiet and getting intoxicated is all I can think about, but instead I'm being committrd. Everything seems so silent, emotionally I feel all over the place and my mind is chaos. This feels a lot more real and serious than previous attempts.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:00 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I'm having one of those days where I feel mentally disorganized, probably just the result of not heading into work this morning. There are a number of things I can do, I'm just trying to sort it out. My AV would be telling me in the past that it would be a fine time to drink, but that just is ridiculous.

The sun is just starting to come up, and that will up my motivation to figure out what I'm going to do today. For now I will make some fresh coffee, some breakfast, and work on a shopping list of a few things that I need. Just wanted to say good morning to all of you and write to help me lay out the land for my Saturday.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:06 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by Taooo View Post
...depression has gotten really bad on the last 2 years and I am reaching a point thats starting to scare me, because I'm strong and never thought I would feel the way I feel now...
This may not have been the inteneded meaning of your post Taooo, but I just wanted to point out for everyones sake;

Depression doesn't make you weak and your not week because you have depression. Don't try to fight it off, seek help as it may very well get much worse.

My dad tried to fight off his depression. Then one day he disappeard for three days. Cops found him under a bridge, he tried to hang himself, thank god the rope broke. He spent many years after that in therapy, taking various medications (He was not a heavy drinker, but had to stop anyways). It was a long road, but for the last 20+ years, he's happy and mediciation free.

My daughter is currently fighting depression and anxiety. Not knowing what was going on, she tired to hold on to the point of wanting to kill herself too. I thank god that she came to us.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:16 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

My uncle is visiting from out of town, a fellow recovering alcoholic....he calls me his "favorite niece" ~ he hasn't seen Bohemian Rhapsody yet so he wants to take me and Mom today.....I saw it once before and really enjoyed it, but I also drank that day.....soda and popcorn is sounding really good this time
Old 01-19-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

This is the female eagle from the Eagle Cam - her chicks are now 25 days old. This must be how it feels to be raising two babies at once. Shower if you can! She just had a dip in the pond.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Wow, Dragon....we must have cross-posted....HUGS!
Old 01-19-2019, 06:20 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Old 01-19-2019, 06:48 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I was yuge on distractions early on. Pick a distraction... any distraction. So, as an intended Public Service, here's a couple.

The Webcam overlooking the old Mining Mountain Town of Ouray CO; just South of us. The original 'True Grit' Film; the remake of that Film; and Tarantino's 'The Hateful Eight' all used Locations not far away. A blistering Sunrise is occurring right now.

~ Ouray Webcam ~

Man, we loved Bohemian Rhapsody! Here's some neato Trivia, Purps, since the Spoilers embedded here won't affect your 2nd viewing enjoyment:

~ Bohemian Rhapsody Trivia ~

And, a memorable Cover version...

~ Bohemian Rhapsody ~ The Muppets ~
Old 01-19-2019, 07:03 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders tommytom!

Good to see you CaptainH

During the early days of recovery my moods tented to fluctuate much more than they normally would. You're removing a chemical that you have become addicted to over a number of so it's not really a surprise but the impact must be greater if you are prone to depression so as Dragon suggests seeking help is important and is not a sign of weakness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20190119_150311.jpg (48.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 01-19-2019, 08:28 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Checking in this fine Saturday morning. Hope you're all doing well
Old 01-19-2019, 08:57 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Greetings, all.

Tao and Tommytom, so glad that you are here with us. Be gentle with yourselves; stay well hydrated; eat small, light meal; get fresh air; indulge yourselves with special treats your body will feel the effects of less sugar when you stop receiving the sugars from alcohol); take a long, warm bath. Remember you are so worthy of sobriety and good health. We do this one day at a time and TOGETHER. Stay close and lean on us.

CaptainH,, so glad to hear that you will be staying close; we care very much about you.

Dragon, really glad and relieved to hear that your Dad’s story had a good ending.

MesaMan, simply gorgeous sunrise photo yesterday.

Purps, what a sweet video. And lots of soda and popcorn: indulge yourself.

Bim, that eagle! What a great shot. Love the Eagle Cam.

I am really looking forward to the Super Blood Wolf Moon and the lunar eclipse! Praying the weather cooperates!

A good Saturday and love to all.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:14 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

P.S. ( ran out of administrative time )

Sao, yeah, a pillow fight; hope that the contenders had fun!

Dragon, prayers for your daughter.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:10 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

LOL OMG at the cat Memes. I’m just enjoying the fact that I woke up on Saturday sober and have the rest of my weekend to be productive as long as I stay this way. I asked a coworker what their plans for the weekend was and it sounded so productive and dawned on me that I would never be able to pull off a thing like that usually because I would go out Friday and have to sleep pretty much all Saturday and Sunday to recover. And usually would miss work Monday anyway. So not where I want to be. Off to the gym to listen to great music and get all of the stress out of my body.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome to the new weekenders.
It's great to have you with us on the thread.
I had a busy day and I need to catch up tomorrow. I'm KO tonight.

So for now... it's Peter Rabbit time.
Attached Images
Old 01-19-2019, 11:26 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
OX

In for another weekend. Hello weekenders.
Planned a lazy weekend instead of being lazy and feeling remorse on all my projects. Been tired and really excited to have a 3 day weekend.
Spent extra time playing with the three kittens and they’re all zonked out now as I hope to be soon too for a nap.
Maybe a trip to Best Buy to get a new DVD player as ours crashed and I have a few new movies to watch. Plus books to read. Hog heaven. May walk around tomorrow to the new wing of art museum and to the rv show. Get some ideas to take the kittens camping. Hope a hike on Monday.
Hope everyone is enjoying the time and getting through. I counted my days and realized I am still in very early recovery and decided my fatigue is probably honest. Amazes me when my resolve is strong that it’s been such a short time of continuous sobriety. Especially since I joined in 2012 and have been trying since @ 2000. Determined to be done for Good now. Slow learner gotta learn eventually.
Love spending time on this thread and thanks to all participants. I read em all and genuinely feel for everyone. I hardly sign in though as if it is so difficult to do. Laziness takes many forms