Notices

How long till I find work?

Old 01-17-2019, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long till I find work?

Many battle the addiction while employed and get through it. I didn’t. I’m actively applying, looking, interviewing and nothing after three solid weeks. I’m letting hopeless and fear creep in here. I keep telling myself that if I continue to care for myself and stay active in my search I will find the right job for me very soon. I have six weeks then I’m out of money and I’m so afraid. How long after getting sober and being unemployed did you find work? Looking for hope here
Old 01-17-2019, 11:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A lot of firms will wait a couple weeks or longer, depending upon the position, until they begin asking for interviews. Also, some firms are required to post a position, even if they have somebody in mind from staff already on hand as ready to fill the job. So, don't be discouraged that you haven't heard back yet.

You should continue your job search and actively applying to those roles that you think would be a fit. I went through the same process of waiting and running out of money to keep me going, and it's nerve bending. Keeping up your positive actions toward adding more opportunities to your cache of applications will help you stay more positive.

Another route that you may not have considered is to contact a local temp agency for work that can tide you over. Sometimes these lead to permanent offers, at least one did for me in the past. You get paid week to week and you are not locked into anything should you get a permanent offer from somewhere else. The hardest part is if you have to get away for a couple hours to do an interview somewhere, but many employers with temps will understand that and try to accommodate you. Every job you fill, temp or not, requires your full effort at what you are doing.

Obviously you don't want to let this stress inform your AV that's telling you it might be okay to drink over it.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for the reply, I’m at my wits end and it’s wearing me down. All in due time right? I put in for all availabile jobs in my field, and there are a good amount, but no reply. I guess I can’t wait for xyz to happen for me to be ok, I get better first then other things fall into place.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sober or not I don't ever expect to be employed again making what I made 3 years ago. Was in a good finance job and the company got bought. Overhead positions like mine were eliminated in 2018. That's the way it goes. I do have a decent skill set but my personal profile (58 YO white male) is not an advantage in the USA when looking for a job right now.

I accept the things I cannot change. I went to a noon AA meeting the day I got laid off. Right now I am consulting part time and making less than half of what I made. We will survive.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, patience is so important right now, Mariposa. It's been my experience that online applications slow down the process. Three weeks seems like a long time, and it is when you are job hunting, but it might take a bit longer.

Stay strong with your recovery and things will work out. Fear and hopelessness are tough emotions to deal with, but you will be able to get through it if you remain sober.

I wish you the best of luck in your job search.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

As everyone has mentioned all you can do is your best and be patient. Have you thought about signing up for a temp agency to do holiday and sick cover? I did that once as a Receptionist/Admin which I am vastly over qualified for but doing a few days here and a week there just to do the emergency cover work did keep at least a little bit of money coming in. Agencies find these types of roles hard to fill as people are wanting a longer term role so if you were willing to just be on call for them that would be a win win for you and the agency. This way you can still look for full time perm work too. Just a thought. xx