Notices

Struggling

Old 01-16-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks sassy I appreciate that

PS - I hope this doesn't offend you but every time I read your username quickly all I see is stayingassy and it always makes me smile lol.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

When I quit smoking cigarettes, 27 years ago i just kept thinking, if I smoke now thats X days wasted and i have to start over. 255 days are a great accomplishment!
Old 01-16-2019, 04:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling a little better Helianthus

D
Old 01-16-2019, 04:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm glad you're feeling a little better Helianthus

D
Thanks Dee
Old 01-16-2019, 04:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by secret81 View Post
When I quit smoking cigarettes, 27 years ago i just kept thinking, if I smoke now thats X days wasted and i have to start over. 255 days are a great accomplishment!
Thanks secret, well done on staying smoke free
Old 01-16-2019, 04:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Heli. The stayinggassy comment gave me a chuckle!
So it sounds like the event is passed being it is now Wed. You got through it!

Don’t you feel it helped tremendously to come here and post and get support? It really makes me feel that I don’t have to tackle things alone.

It’s always been hard for me to ask for help too. But when I finally realized I had an alcohol problem and admitted I’m powerless over this addiction and it’s become unmanageable, I started applying this thinking generally to all areas of life. If I am feeling stressed about parenting, I reach out to my parent support group, pediatrician or therapist. If I have a work challenge, I reach out to my boss, coworker or other resources. I always come here too whatever the situation is.

No one has to do anything alone in life. There is always support. Sometimes it may take time to find the right support but just keep moving forward and being proactive doing the best you know how to do. If an experience is horrible, which will happen in life, just learn from it as best you can and move on. Remind yourself that everything passes in time.

I also remind myself of this quote I once saw when I have a lot of anxiety and things seem to be going badly: when things go wrong, don’t go with them. In other words, for me it means alcohol will make an already bad situation worse.

Try to take things one day at a time, too. I often find that most of my fears and worries do not happen other than in my head. If something really does happen, I will handle it the best way I know.

Good luck with your situation!
Old 01-16-2019, 09:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Helianthus View Post
Thanks sassy I appreciate that

PS - I hope this doesn't offend you but every time I read your username quickly all I see is stayingassy and it always makes me smile lol.
Haha!

I made up that username on purpose, I wanted to stay lighthearted and fun and perky in sobriety: but I really didn’t stay sassy. I knew I wouldn’t. I’ve of course attempted sobriety many times before (never made it this far though). I’m not gassy either though so that’s a win. My dog, on the other hand, can clear a room!
Old 01-16-2019, 09:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Congratulations Helianthus! You did it. I can relate to your post. I drank to deal with work anxiety and then it got to a point where my anxiety was crippling. Not to mention the multiple other direct effects that alcohol caused. I was drinking in expectation of a career milestone that was flipping me out for several years. Unfortunately, I never stopped drinking. The life event turned into a major career failure which is causing me to lose my job that I love. Finally, after the loss, I decided to quit letting alcohol control my feelings and mind.