Notices

Alcoholism is an Icy River

Old 01-13-2019, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Alcoholism is an Icy River

On this day (Jan 13th) in 1982, Air Florida Flight 90 crashed into the Potomac River shortly after takeoff from the airport in Washington DC. There were only five survivors.

In an age long before cell phone cameras, there is video of the crash and rescue attempts, as a crew from a news station was nearby and a videographer captured the harrowing scene.

To this day I remember one of the passengers, a woman, foundering in the icy water, flailing for a life ring that had been tossed her. She made few feeble attempts to grasp it, but it appeared she was going to drown, the life ring just within reach. "Grab the ring," I remember imploring of the woman, "Grab it and hang on!" It was heart wrenching to watch.

Just as it is heart wrenching to see so many newcomers--and those not so new--caught in the cycle of relapse. They make the decision to quit, come here for support and advice, only to fall back into drinking. And like the woman in the river, we implore the struggling alcoholic, "Grab the life ring. It's right there in your grasp. Hang on, there is a way out."

Sober Recovery is but one life ring of many. If you have made the decision to get sober you have but to grab the rope and hang on. Recovery...grab it and hang on. You don't know how many chances you will get. Alcohol is an icy river that will pull you under.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I remember seeing that footage. My take on it was that she was too tired of fighting any longer and wanted to give up, for it to be over. I think a lot of us have also felt that way at the end. Everyone writing here has made the choice to keep fighting. I’m out of the water so to speak. Goodbye booze.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I remember that day well, Carl, as my Dad was there at the airport. He then went on to try and catch a subway train and there was a disaster there as well. He finally made it home by train.

I am so glad that Newcomers find their way here for survival.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Here is one of the videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq7cMnTwP9s
Old 01-13-2019, 01:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a great analogy. Very well done. Just finished watching the footage myself.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A very powerful post.

I hope it also allows all members, new and old, to recognize that the life ring being tossed may not be the one you liked, or wanted thrown your way, but the one throwing it to you is trying very hard to save you.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 01-13-2019, 03:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well said. Great post.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post, and the reminder. I completely agree. Alcohol is a powerful force that will destroy me if I go near it. I am powerless over alcohol. It’s no different than a powerful riptide wave or the edge of a cliff. I don’t go near those forces I am powerless over either.

Thank you
Old 01-13-2019, 04:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post - everyday I am very near giving up - it would be so easy to have just "one" glass of wine by the fire on this very cold January day, but I know how that would turn out, I would be consumed by the icy water.....I don't know why I logged on tonight but thank you for the perspective.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Accord1 View Post
I remember seeing that footage. My take on it was that she was too tired of fighting any longer and wanted to give up, for it to be over. I think a lot of us have also felt that way at the end. Everyone writing here has made the choice to keep fighting. I’m out of the water so to speak. Goodbye booze.
What a great analogy Carl, thanks for posting this. To further on what Accord noted, after reading up on this tragedy I found out that the woman in the water had been flying with her husband and 2 month old son. Going back to your analogy, it gets harder and harder to keep up the fight the more we lose. But it is exactly when we should fight the hardest.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is an Icy RiverGreat post!
Old 01-14-2019, 02:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good stuff, as always Carl.
Thank you.
Jules
Old 01-14-2019, 03:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Carl

I fought so hard to get hold of that life ring again so I'm hanging on for grim death cos not sure I have much fight left in me either for treading water any longer

See u around