Notices

Ramblings about sobriety jewelry

Old 01-14-2019, 03:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ramblings about sobriety jewelry

As I approach two years sober next week, I thought briefly about getting myself a personally engraved piece of jewelry as a reward, and to celebrate the anniversary. I’ve reconsidered, though. Here are the reasons I’m not going to do that.

I already own three pieces of jewelry from previous soberversaries, each marking the date. The first one was a bracelet charm, which I ordered after three months. After I lost the charm, I decided to drink again. I rationalised since I didn’t have the charm anymore, the sober date really didn’t matter, so neither did sobriety, and I wasn’t really an alcoholic.

I ordered another bracelet after about six months sober with the date etched right into the underside of the bracelet with no charm to fall off. This happened to also be the anniversary date of my mom’s death. Ultimately, as thoughts of drinking started to pop in to my mind again, I decided the real significance of the date was relating to my mom, not my sobriety, which didn’t matter anyway because I felt fine going back to drinking moderately.

The last piece is a necklace with a pretty moon pendant and the date on the back. It was a full moon. I specifically planned that next Day 1 sober date to be on a full moon so I could buy that moon version. It was the best one. I had planned to wear this necklace all the time. Unfortunately, the color of the moon was not what I expected, was too bright and didn’t always match what I was wearing. So that led to more thinking about drinking since I couldn’t wear the necklace all the time. Another relapse.

There were more sober dates and more relapses. But that moon necklace, as ridiculous as that situation was, was the last time I bought any form of sober jewelry. It’s interesting the crazy ways our minds can justify unhealthy behavior. I think I was both looking for an excuse to buy some jewelry (shopping was another obsession) and keep drinking. I’ve changed a lot as a person since my last drink, 1/21/17. I have more depth. I don’t care as much about material things. I don’t need external things to define who I am.

Last year, I didn’t think it was important to acknowledge my sober anniversary date. I felt that I was cured. I simply didn’t drink anymore. But when I went through a rough patch several months ago and had the early feelings of complacency, I came back here, and for the first time, saw how important it is to practice sobriety everyday in my life. Now I do think it’s important to remember dates and think of progress. But as nice as the charms are, and I’m happy for anyone who buys them, from my experience it’s not going to work for me. The date will be forever etched on my mind.

I’m glad I never got a tattoo.

Thanks for letting me reflect on this.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What an awesome post, with a lot to think about.

Not gonna lie, I did laugh about the tattoo
Old 01-14-2019, 03:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi fearlessat50

No offense to anyone else who does tatts or jewelry - I'm just not a tattoo guy or a jewelry guy... so I understand - my date is etched on my heart and, for me, thats all I need

D