Notices

Class of January 2019 Part 2

Old 01-12-2019, 04:54 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeteGibbons View Post
Question for the group -- does anyone drink Non-Alcoholic Beer ? I have found some that I like OK. But not sure if it really is helpful to longer term success in maintaining abstinence from alcohol if I keep drinking NA beer (does drinking NA beer wet the appetite for the real thing too much?)
I bought a pack of non-alcoholic beer last weekend but I ended up giving the rest away. Thought it may have some type of placebo effect but nah. Turns out I don't actually enjoy the taste of beer that much Think I'll stick to my ginger beer.

I haven't been out to a bar yet since I've quit drinking. Off out tomorrow to a place I've always drank a few pints or gins. Tomorrow it will either be a hot chocolate or a nice mocktail and I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:15 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noaddedsugar View Post
I bought a pack of non-alcoholic beer last weekend but I ended up giving the rest away. Thought it may have some type of placebo effect but nah. Turns out I don't actually enjoy the taste of beer that much Think I'll stick to my ginger beer.

I haven't been out to a bar yet since I've quit drinking. Off out tomorrow to a place I've always drank a few pints or gins. Tomorrow it will either be a hot chocolate or a nice mocktail and I'm really looking forward to it.

I had diet Ginger Beer & Lime with a splash of club soda today watching football. Several of my guest drank beer. I did not have any desire to join them. I am only on day 12....I enjoy Mock-tails. I prefer to go as low cal as I can
Old 01-12-2019, 06:26 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Perfect afternoon.

I had the most perfect day. Cold, snowy. Stayed in, friends and my daughter came over to watch the football game, We had tailgate food. Watched a great game & our Chiefs won. Several people had beers/cocktails. At one point in time I had a small craving but did not give in. This is first time in forever that I was sober watching a game......It felt amazing. So happy. This is my year! Thank you God. And to all of my new friends on SR. So happy that I found you.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:00 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
JJ9

Day 12 done (or pretty close at least). My AV is in my ear right now but I have good reasons to stay sober (answering the AV back makes me feel a little crazy but it’s necessary). I’m going to go to bed very early and look forward to a nice sober Sunday without a hangover.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone!
Old 01-12-2019, 08:10 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Creeping up on hour 50.
We got our first decent snow this winter & I got my first flat tire of the year en route to the supermarket. *facepalm*
Got that fixed, made it to the store & hurried home as the snow picked up. Slipped & fell in the driveway while shoveling (in front of 2 teenagers cleaning off their car who pretended not to see, lol). I was layered up so I only hurt my pride.
Normally at this time of night, I'm buzzed & heading towards blackout. It's been like that for most of the decade unfortunately. But tonight instead of drinking, I took my 2 dogs on a snowy walk by the river. I unhooked them & watching those bozos frolic made me happy. Curled up on the couch now, pretending to enjoy one of my wife's Grapefruit La Croix's.
Good to be here.
Take care
Old 01-12-2019, 08:15 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

JJ9, Not crazy at all. I have yelled at my addiction in the car. "Be gone you devil..." "Nope, you don't own me anymore...." Etc. ! Well done.

Off to bed.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:17 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Zighoul, you'll get used to the LaCroix. I didn't like it at first, but now that is my nightly drink. I don't like grapefruit though. Prefer the berry flavors. Enjoy and well done today. Sounds like a lovely day minus the flat and wipeout!
Old 01-12-2019, 08:19 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Duck Duck Goose!

Zighoul- try Hint. Non-carbonated. Just got a delivery of six cases (free delivery) through their website. Good stuff.

Just checking in and saying good night.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:35 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Day 13

Checking in.

JT
Old 01-12-2019, 08:52 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Day 65. Back home from India. I did all the lounges, flights and NYE and the entire time there sober. I thought this would have been impossible but it wasn't. What I have learnt from this specifically early in recovery is to not worry abut the future. Really take it one day at the time. Once "the day" you been dreading arrives it will most likely just be like the day before. This time I remember the break, watched movies on the flights and had a healthy lifestyle whilst there. The only time I experienced FOMO was on NYE. I did survive and felt proud of this achievement. So this time I do feel that I have had a break going back to work tomorrow. We can all do this. Not easy but worth it.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:22 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Made it through day 12. My brain is definitely much clearer but I still have bouts of crying and a lot of regret. However, it feels better to confront the reality than disassociate by drinking. Eventually, the disassociation will catch up to you and the drinking will eat you up inside. I have not had the urge to drink but sometimes I can still taste wine on my tongue. I'm grateful for these 12 days and I'm committed to the next twenty-four hours. It's good to read about how everyone made it through day 12. I used to fly a lot for work and travel. I can't get on a plane without drinking before, through the flight, and then another one when I land. Some day I hope to fly and not drink. Right now, I'm not ready for to go on a flight or travel.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:26 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
JJ9

Thanks Quitnow! Your response gave me a lot of peace this evening. I appreciate it!
Old 01-12-2019, 09:54 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great milestones here - congrats guys
Good to have you back Sydneyman

D
Old 01-12-2019, 10:05 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee...
Old 01-12-2019, 10:44 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
Which I suppose brings me on to Red78 and that I posted previously that her partner was “abusive and controlling” for not respecting her views on avoiding parties and situations that could make her drink? I know you’re reading this Red and you also know, that I know, that you haven’t replied to me or messaged me since I wrote it (Red78 and I have been in a few classes together and shared private messages of support in the past). Red - I don’t take what I wrote back and I still stand by it 100% despite the fact it seems it might have upset you? I’m not here for your boyfriend - I’m here to try and get better and support people like you that are suffering with the same addiction and misery as I am. I always try and do this sensitively but occasionally I just post it as I see it. He keeps doing this to you over and over - and no I’m not “sick of hearing it” as you said to the group, but it does make me angry with your boyfriend - and I admit - frustrated with you - because you’re intelligent, young, sensitive, kind and have loads to live for. I think you deserve to be kinder to yourself and to live your life with someone that cherishes you and respects you. That’s the last I’ll say on that.

JT
JT for the last 5 years I've been in a state of confusion, not being able to find the words that describe what I go through because it doesn't happen all the time and I always felt like it was me causing these problems within the relationship.
But i have been seeing a lady who I thought was a spiritual healer but it turns out her background is heavily with women's refuge and domestic violence counselling.
She told me that I needed to understand that even though it doesn't happen all the time, everything I have said hits all the markers for being in a power and control relationship and that I needed to let that sink in because its likely it won't change.
So JT you are right and it doesn't upset me you said that at all..

I drank over the weekend due to the high anxiety I went through on Friday, I made the decision to go ahead with what my partner wanted but in that was giving myself permission to drink on my bday, which in my head gave me permission to drink that day..

I have been in bed all day sick..and am annoyed with myself for being weak and not standing up for myself.

I told my partner that I'm very serious about being sober and after my bday drinking is out I don't want drinking around me nor will I be going anywhere where there is drinking. So will be interesting to see what happens..

So today I'm back to Day 1 and I'm hoping I can find the strength to actually not drink next weekend..
Old 01-12-2019, 10:44 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Day 13 no wine day 1 no smoking .
I had to rush my husband to hospital last night .... Thank god I was sobor and alert to drive the 30 min to the hospital on the island . I'd did cave from stress and buy cigs but last night when we finally went to be I threw them in the fire .
Happy Sunday all .
Old 01-12-2019, 10:56 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Hey all im also on the anxiety/social anxiety caused me to drink train.

I am apprehensive about vegas but im going alone so no pressure to be around anyone drinking. Ill be checking in starting Friday night when i get there. Night all!
Old 01-12-2019, 11:11 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post

I drank over the weekend due to the high anxiety I went through on Friday, I made the decision to go ahead with what my partner wanted but in that was giving myself permission to drink on my bday, which in my head gave me permission to drink that day..
I knew this would happen as I am an alcoholic. I know how the internal messaging system works within us all. This is why I get so passionate about people that enable, control and are selfish.

We both know what you should do. I think you're delaying the inevitable but I really need to back off now as it is your life.

Whatever you do I can only wish you the best and my support.

JT
Old 01-12-2019, 11:14 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strawberry18 View Post
Day 13 no wine day 1 no smoking .
I had to rush my husband to hospital last night .... Thank god I was sobor and alert to drive the 30 min to the hospital on the island . I'd did cave from stress and buy cigs but last night when we finally went to be I threw them in the fire .
Happy Sunday all .
I've always said it. You try and do too many things at once.

I think it is amazing if people can get fit, give up cigs and become teetotal in one fell swoop - but my understanding is that this is rare and not recommended.

Beat the booze first. Slow steps. Your life is a long journey.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:15 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LiveLikeGold6 View Post
Hey all im also on the anxiety/social anxiety caused me to drink train.

I am apprehensive about vegas but im going alone so no pressure to be around anyone drinking. Ill be checking in starting Friday night when i get there. Night all!
The risk vs reward seems massively out of kilter. You're not even letting anyone down by cancelling? Why even go through the anxiety? Seems like this trip is already building up to be a mental chore as opposed to a blessed vacation?