Notices

Class of January 2019 Part 2

Old 01-15-2019, 01:58 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
About to go to bed my friend.

I was never going to drink. I'm feeling better. Thank you.
I'm very happy to hear, I hope you get some good sleep..
Old 01-15-2019, 02:14 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Two weeks in and had some bad cravings today: "come on, you've done good, once isn't going to hurt anything." But as I said before, my AV now has the tone and look of Paulie from the Rocky movies so it's a lot easier to dismiss. Managed to get home without buying anything I shouldn't and will distract myself tonight.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Brilliant EANx me and Tony were just speaking about what you're going through on one of his threads. Glad you managed it. Them situations can be tricky so hope you feel impressed with dealing with it
Old 01-15-2019, 04:09 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

JT i know you’re feeling better but i wanted to mention that when i read your post I immediately thought of rigorous honesty. That’s the kind of honesty that gets us through I’ve heard, so kudos!
Old 01-15-2019, 05:28 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome lonewolf and JamesSquire - I hope the support and ideas here will help you guys make this time the time to quit

Glad you're feeling a little better - my AV was forever trying to get me away from the herd in the early days...sometimes its arguments were very reasonable and persuasive...I have a natural proclivity to fight for the under dog against things like bullying, selfishness and dogmatic thinking...but I'm glad I stayed.

I think the ignore function is a useful tool - glad you're using it

D
Old 01-15-2019, 05:51 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, Just checking in to say good evening, Day 15. Doing good. Went to the gym for the first time in a couple of months. I am on the right track. Hope that everyone sleeps well toning, including me!
Old 01-15-2019, 06:06 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Re-entered the world today and managed to stay sober for day 15, although I did get craving right after finishing work (when I would drink). I substituted for a cappuccino.

I still have bouts of crying in the morning. Is this normal?

EANx: congrats for resisting the cravings.

travelbug: congrats for getting to the gym. (A step that I keep saying that I will do.)
Old 01-15-2019, 06:24 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome lonewolf and JamesSquire - I hope the support and ideas here will help you guys make this time the time to quit

Glad you're feeling a little better - my AV was forever trying to get me away from the herd in the early days...sometimes its arguments were very reasonable and persuasive...I have a natural proclivity to fight for the under dog against things like bullying, selfishness and dogmatic thinking...but I'm glad I stayed.

I think the ignore function is a useful tool - glad you're using it

D
Funny you mention about moving away from the herd Dee. I do sometimes wonder if, either due to low self-esteem or from bitterness, from the experiences I've felt I was mistreated, I've put up a deluded defence of thinking I'm different from everyone else. Dare I even say special? It is definitely something I need to look at.
I sometimes think of certain experiences where people have complimented me. At the time I felt almost proud. In hindsight, I wonder if they were just saying that to stroke my ego? Sort of recognising I take myself too seriously so it was easier for them to appease me rather than give me honest or constructive criticism. Like, you know when you see someone like Trump, or a movie star? I'm ashamed to say it but when I see how deluded they are, part of it I recognise in myself lol
There is some sort of black and white thinking there along the lines of 'if I'm not special I am nothing'. Regardless my thinking is deluded and at the very least, unfeasible.
God I am going to need a bloody good therapist to sort my head out lol

​​​​​​Anyway thanks for the lessons in your experience and your encouragement
Old 01-15-2019, 06:27 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Well done Travel bug I'm sure the gym will help out with the sleep
Old 01-15-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are doing fine Listae. I can't see why crying would be a problem? I think feeling rather than repressing feelings is healthy don't you think? Just seems reasonable that you are so early in recovery and are emotional?
Old 01-15-2019, 06:48 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey lonewolf

I think we're all special in that noones story is exactly like mine, or yours...but I do also believe we share a common problem.

They say in AA to look for the similarities and not the differences - and although I'm not an AA member I think thats a pretty good line to follow.

I can learn from everyone here

D

Originally Posted by Lonewolf22 View Post
Funny you mention about moving away from the herd Dee. I do sometimes wonder if, either due to low self-esteem or from bitterness, from the experiences I've felt I was mistreated, I've put up a deluded defence of thinking I'm different from everyone else. Dare I even say special? It is definitely something I need to look at.
I sometimes think of certain experiences where people have complimented me. At the time I felt almost proud. In hindsight, I wonder if they were just saying that to stroke my ego? Sort of recognising I take myself too seriously so it was easier for them to appease me rather than give me honest or constructive criticism. Like, you know when you see someone like Trump, or a movie star? I'm ashamed to say it but when I see how deluded they are, part of it I recognise in myself lol
There is some sort of black and white thinking there along the lines of 'if I'm not special I am nothing'. Regardless my thinking is deluded and at the very least, unfeasible.
God I am going to need a bloody good therapist to sort my head out lol

​​​​​​Anyway thanks for the lessons in your experience and your encouragement
Old 01-15-2019, 06:51 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Waves of anger today! Just a wave, a day, a moment in time, it won't stay forever!
I can do hard things and i will never drink over anything again.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:52 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

I'm smarter than that
I know better than that
and I deserve good things
Old 01-15-2019, 07:06 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Yes Dee
I'm starting to feel more aware now that there is little bits of knowledge and wisdom in a lot of things. Like some things I heard people say when I was in rehab keep coming back to me. At the time they were just cliched drivel to me but now I see people say the same things and I can see them in my own context. I still feel that stubborn instant reaction in me at times but something has loosened that seems akin to feeling humbled? Realising regardless of what I agree and disagree with doesn't mean anything if I'm stuck in the rut of drinking. I'm basically like a football fan (who hasn't kicked a ball in his life) shouting at the players on the pitch, if that makes any sense? Lol It helps neither me not them.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:09 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Anything you are angry about in particular hopeful?
Old 01-15-2019, 07:16 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I wanted to check in on day 13. So happy to be this far in.
Hope
Old 01-15-2019, 07:33 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Just a quick check in. I have been keeping busy which has helped. Glad I am still sober.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:08 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

I'm frustrated at where I am at the moment.
Drinking numbs that and also numbs strong emotions.
It also adds to the pile of **** and moves things backwards not forwards and nothing gets done.
But i also know, that in order to heal and move forward,and not be frustrated at where I am, it all starts with never drinking.

Fought with my sister tonight and I have an event that causes stress but im happy with how i handled it tonight
Old 01-15-2019, 08:13 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Hope your feeling better today Tony and evil Tony f$$ked off.
Maas thinking last night I havnt drank in 2019 ... I like that and will keep at it !
Old 01-15-2019, 09:12 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Day 16

I feel a tremendous amount better today after a really good nights sleep of about six solid hours and vivid but non-threatening dreams.

Another busy day at work and I need to visit the gym twice to make up for more laziness than was acceptable yesterday.

Regards,

JT