Notices

Anyone have experience with Wellbutrin

Old 01-04-2019, 06:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone have experience with Wellbutrin

My doctor has prescribed me 150 mg of Wellbutrin for some depression I've been having lately. I'm skeptical of anything that's messing with my brain chemistry. However I'd love to kick this depression and sadness and I feel like I'm doing everything in my power naturally and it just seems to not work. Some things I'm doing is meditation journaling indefinitely not drinking. so I'm wondering if anyone has taken Wellbutrin before and can give me an honest opinion of your experience with it before I start taking it in the morning. I understand that it can feel like a stimulant which I'm not a fan of and I definitely have insomnia so I'm worried that it's going to mess with that as well. I guess I won't know how I'm going to react to it unless I tried it.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have no experience with Welbutrin, but have been on sertraline (zoloft) for years, with good results. My doctor told me (in the beginning) if it made me hyper at all, to take it in the morning. It had some side effects, tho I don't remember them now, but they went away and within a few weeks I was feeling a lot better.

Give it a chance, and remember that it can take a few weeks to feel any improvement in your mood.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much Least
Old 01-04-2019, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I ended up taking an anti-d after trying pretty much everything else. It has made quite a difference for me.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
p***enger

After I quit drinking, I was still depressed. I gave it a year and was still depressed, though meditating, etc. Unfortunately I let depressed thinking get hold and relapsed, but straightened out and saw a dr. Getting on anti-d's (not wellbutrin, but similar) saved my sobriety and a whole lot else.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I took Welbutrin years ago but it has been so long I can't offer much advice on the particular med. What I can say is that we are all so different and different meds work in different ways for each person. If this one doesn't work out for some reason don't be afraid to try another.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Wellbutrin didn't work for me years ago when I was still drinking.

It's amazing now. It is more stimulating but it has a shorter half life than many of the SSRIs so I actually have less insomnia. At this point I'm not on any mood stabilizers at all, the wellbutrin is working really well. It also had the added benefit for me of making re-quitting smoking fairly easy.

I've had good results. 300mg time release.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It has really helped me. Although I do suffer from insomnia....I cannot say if is the drug itself because I did have severe insomnia even before taking this. If you want more info you can PM me. Best of luck to you.
PS...I am like you as well...very skeptical of taking any kind of mood altering drug but then have abused alcohol...go figure!
Old 01-05-2019, 04:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think working with a doctor to address mental health is equally important to addressing physical health. If you're following your doctor's advice on Wellbutrin or any other antidepressant you're doing what you need.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I take this. I should correct that statement to, I am taking this again. I know there is a stigma that comes along with being on anti depressants. Everyone has their own opinion. My doctor put it very bluntly, he said "Some people have low levels of serotonin and this medication helps those people. Would you look down on a diabetic because they need insulin? " I decided I needed help a few years ago when I finally confessed to my doctor that there were days I couldn't get out of bed. No particular reason, just that I had no motivation. I knew this wasn't living. There were other signs too, some more drastic.

I needed to change. I took it for a few months and it helped. Depression is tricky because once you feel better, you forget how bad you really felt. There are still has low periods, but more normal lows. If that makes sense. Like not crying in bed all day lows. I stopped taking it because I wanted to keep drinking. This medication can cause seizures if you drink, and that scared me enough to just stop taking it. Now that I'm not drinking anymore, I'm taking it again. Not at night though, lol. I learned that lesson. I had forgotten until I just recently restarted that mornings after food is the best way to go. Yes, not at night unless you really like late night TV shows.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

IME: Wellbutrin was not for me. It increased anxiety, gave me heart palpitations, and turned me into a rage monster. No good at all.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Tried it 1 day and I cannot imagine going through the whole 2 week vamp up period. I've found lots of natural remedies and morning meditation works great for me.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I tried it when I didn't want to take xanax any longer..didn't care for it. I was prescribed bupropion to help counter some side effects of chantix when quitting smoking and it was fine...little did I know it's the same damn thing i.e generic version of wellbutrin.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Originally Posted by LunaBlue View Post
IME: Wellbutrin was not for me. It increased anxiety, gave me heart palpitations, and turned me into a rage monster. No good at all.
I had a similar reaction to Wellbutrin.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaBlue

This was my experience as well. I think it depends on the type of depression you have, i.e. is it more of a very low energy / not able to get out of bed depression? Or a high anxiety and panic type? I had the latter and Wellbutrin actually made the anxiety worse, but have met ppl who were physically depressed and Wellbutrin was quite helpful to them.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
I tried it when I didn't want to take xanax any longer..didn't care for it. I was prescribed bupropion to help counter some side effects of chantix when quitting smoking and it was fine...little did I know it's the same damn thing i.e generic version of wellbutrin.
Actually Chantix is NOT another version of wellbutrin, that's Zyban.

Chantix was weird AF.

Wellbutrin can make you jittery and increase anxiety. I found that to be true when I was still drinking. Once I was sober, Wellbutrin no longer caused anxiety, although it did rev me up a bit (which is fine as I have ADD and don't want to take stimulants). Also the time release formula helped a lot with the anxiety.

Most modern antidepressants are SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors), which works on the neurotransmitter serotonin and keeps it in the synapse of the nerves longer by inhibiting reuptake (an enzyme cleans up the extra serotonin in the synapse, SSRIs block this enzyme). Wellbutrin is an NDRI (Norepinephrine-Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor). It inhibits the reuptake of two DIFFERENT neurotransmitters, which has a significantly different effect and side effect profile. SSRIs have sexual side effects (primarily anorgasmia), weight gain, headache and nausea/vomiting (the last two usually go away with continued treatment). Wellbutrin has a slight seizure risk (ESPECIALLY with alcohol) and can cause more anxiety...although the last occurs with a minority of people taking it.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Actually Chantix is NOT another version of wellbutrin, that's Zyban.

Chantix was weird AF.

Bupropion is a generic of wellbutrin and yea chantix is some 'trippy stuff'. I don't take either anylonger. Wellbutrin did amplify my anxiety when I was taking it 'straight'..on the chantix I didn't even notice it's effects though..maybe 'countered out',who knows? Nowadays..if it's not 'natural'/needed, I'd rather try to get by without..
Old 01-07-2019, 06:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I too tried it when I was drinking and it made me want to crawl out of my skin.

Now with 4 years sober I recently went back on it for SAD. It is wonderful this time. I too struggle with insomnia but as long as I take it in the am I am able to go to sleep and sleep through the night.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I took Wellbutrin several years ago and I remember that the anxiety was pretty high and I had horrible, incredibly vivid dreams. I don't remember the dosage but it was pretty high as I am a large person. I did not care for it at all. Today I am on Lexapro and I do much better on that.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LunaBlue View Post
I never drank on it btw. I tried it during two different sober periods of my life, once very recently, and both times had these same effects. Never again.