Notices

Weekender Thread 04-07 January 2019

Old 01-05-2019, 10:52 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders, I hope everyone makes it through the first Saturday night of 2019. My neighbourhood, usually rowdy was subdued last night. I lot of people are either doing dry January or are broke after Christmas.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:12 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Morning, weekenders.

I am out of coffee so it's time for ASAP grocery shopping.

See you later.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:19 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Awesome job Travelbug! Also Llou, Sweetiepie and OliveDog ~ and all weekenders

Fell asleep early last night so I was up at 3:30.....got the coffee goin'.....windows open and it's so quiet! The birds aren't even awake yet
Old 01-06-2019, 01:54 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning all.
Welcome to the weekender travelbug.
Time to get a mid morning coffee.
Later
Old 01-06-2019, 03:01 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
sober style

Top o' the morning to all you fine Weekenender thread type peoples! I using this new 12-cup Hamilton Beach coffeemaker I just bought, it's bright red and hideously ugly to look at but makes a mean cup of joe, that's for sure. Getting ready to do my 4-6 mile walk on the greenway trail they have here, pretty cool. I have a thing where if I see deer on my walk, it's gonna be a great day. And I see them most days it seems haha!
Old 01-06-2019, 03:03 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Earth Child

good morning everyone
Old 01-06-2019, 03:54 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Morning All! Contemplating going to an AA meeting today, I have only been to one in the U.K. the week I came back from rehab and didn’t like it so never went to another. There is not a lot of choice in my area so not like I could try lots of different ones till i found a good fit. Had the morning video meeting with the rehab today and realised I need to do something different. I am not sharing how I am really feeling with anyone at all, I am keeping most of it inside and that is causing me to get overwhelmed and unable to challenge my own thinking as it’s just too noisy in my head. I’ve gone back into bad habits, trying to do it on my own and isolating. Anyhow, not decided yet wether to go or not...
Old 01-06-2019, 03:59 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

ML, it sounds like you have identified an important change in course re: not keeping it bottled up. When I do that I find that invariably things are a lot more difficult for me on all levels, including the isolation that sometimes accompanies it. Do I still do it? Yes, sometimes! It's a long habit that is hard to break for me. Thanks for reminding me about it.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:20 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Snazzy, I have almost the same superstition! I feel if I see wildlife in the morning, it will be a good day. And I often see deer, foxes, even an occasional bear … Have a wonderful Sunday, Snazz!
Sao, I loved that article you suggested. And thanks for reminding me this was my first Saturday of the year. I feel inspired for 2019!
Manta, another try at AA sounds right. If you still don't like it, you might ask a therapist for recommendations. The personal connection sounds very important to your progress.
Good morning VMan, Purps, Dee, Serenity, Guener, MB, Ginger, and everyone else trying to keep that evil AV at bay!
Old 01-06-2019, 04:55 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Good morning everyone. Happy Sunday. Daughter and I have strum group this afternoon, but we are expecting a dump of snow today, up to 15cm by this evening.

I've never attended a meeting, but we have an alternative here called SOS. They are apparently in many cities around the world.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:20 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
Morning All! Contemplating going to an AA meeting today, I have only been to one in the U.K. the week I came back from rehab and didn’t like it so never went to another. There is not a lot of choice in my area so not like I could try lots of different ones till i found a good fit. Had the morning video meeting with the rehab today and realised I need to do something different. I am not sharing how I am really feeling with anyone at all, I am keeping most of it inside and that is causing me to get overwhelmed and unable to challenge my own thinking as it’s just too noisy in my head. I’ve gone back into bad habits, trying to do it on my own and isolating. Anyhow, not decided yet wether to go or not...
Old habits are hard to break. Try something new. Come here to get you support. I am only on day 6 so I don't have a lot to give right now. I will tell you that I ordered the Naked Mind book and awaiting it arrival......I hear it has good info.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:19 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Sao said "morning" eight hours ago. I'll say it now.

Sober Sunday morning! Manta, there are always a million churches and meditation centers open on Sundays...just a thought. AA meetings can be pretty overwhelming, but church is just plain Jane and comforting to me. No one trying to force me into their molds and I don't have to talk. Sometimes talking is overrated.

Anyway, I'm having coffee and trying to warm up. Apparently the power was out most of the night and it was cold in my place when I got up. Brr.

The gorillas have disappeared from exhibit for the past week and no one knows why - or at least no one is telling zoo visitors. There are hundreds of zoo volunteers and no answers...the gorilla keepers have been MIA as well, and the keepers from other areas aren't talking. I hope none of the gorillas were injured - that new male was pretty aggressive and wound-up last time I saw him. My private detecting skills are not helping right now. #ZooMysteries.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:58 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Mr

Agree totally... "Sometimes talking is overrated" In my group there are a few who talk for the 1.5 hours. Sometimes when it gets around to your go I often wonder if anyone is still concentrated or listening. It's tiring listening to someone's problems for an hour... Maybe it's a default of mine but I really try to listen and it wears me out. I still go once a week. Keeps me grounded. And there are some very nice people there too. Don't know if that helps Manta but I agree 100% bottling up is not an option.

Hope you get to the bottom of the gorilla mystery PI Bim
Old 01-06-2019, 07:26 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Two cups o coffee down and procrastinating starting some work that has a deadline tonight.

I have faced some challenges lately but am having a peaceful sober weekend.

Good to see new faces and old--be strong and sober on!

Old 01-06-2019, 07:48 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

afternoon Weekenders - hope everyone is doing well. the evenings are definitely getting lighter here - it would have been almost dark now a couple of weeks ago.

I still do SMART online meetings once in a while - I find the discussion format more helpful than chair-and-share. I quite often put it on headphones & just listen whilst I cook these days.

I hope your gorilla hasn't gone guerilla Bim
Old 01-06-2019, 07:56 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Agree totally... "Sometimes talking is overrated" In my group there are a few who talk for the 1.5 hours. Sometimes when it gets around to your go I often wonder if anyone is still concentrated or listening. It's tiring listening to someone's problems for an hour... Maybe it's a default of mine but I really try to listen and it wears me out. I still go once a week. Keeps me grounded. And there are some very nice people there too. Don't know if that helps Manta but I agree 100% bottling up is not an option.

Hope you get to the bottom of the gorilla mystery PI Bim
Well yeah, the thing is meeting shares (IMNSHO) should be about the solution, not the problem.

Problems really belong in therapy or group therapy or one-on-one with a sponsor type person - not in meetings.

A lot of people haven't read that memo.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:01 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I decided not to go to that meeting. It was a 2 hour one and not convinced that I could sit through that many shares and I remember that at the one I did go to way back I found myself frustrated at some of the people that just went on and on and seemed to like the sound of their own voices a bit too much. I am going to try more meditation and write more in my journal, see how that goes. I do agree also that talking is overrated! x
Old 01-06-2019, 08:08 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I feel the same way about too much talking....that's probably why the meditation meetings are my favorite!
Old 01-06-2019, 08:16 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

My journal is super helpful for me.

I can't go on for more than a couple sentences with my whining in a journal.

I just tend to say to myself (quite quickly), "Okay, but what is the solution to [thisproblem]?"

Exercise. That is the answer to all my problems today.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:24 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I have to agree with Bim about church. I'm not particularly religious and don't go all that often but when I do go, I always seem to find a settling peace. Our Ukrainian church up the road is nice during the Ukrainian laguage service, they have a lovley choir and i don't understand a word they are saying. The english service is nice too, just praying. No singing like they do in the Anglican church which I've enjoyed the few times I've attended.