Notices

Today is My Sobriety Birthday

Old 01-04-2019, 06:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Congrats Driguy! So glad you are here. You give so much inspiration!
Old 01-04-2019, 09:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

congratulations, DG.
it's an odd thing, the year-forgetting. it is like that with me and smoking...i think i probably quit 14 years ago, but it might be 13 or 15...and it was a very big deal to finally get that, and i do remember the day-date.
keep going
Old 01-04-2019, 10:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Congrats on such a long time in recovery! You are an inspiration to us new comers
Old 01-05-2019, 06:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wow!!! Just WOW

congrats and thanks.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congratulations, DriGuy and thank you for the hope and inspiration! You are proof that the demon alcohol can be defeated. SR has been a vital part of my own recovery. I had 15 years sobriety in 2005, but got complacent, thought I'd got it figured and could handle drinking--needless to say, big mistake. It took me to some dark and nearly fatal places
, but after a number of starts and stops I now have 3 years as of Dec 23, and will never go back. Happy Sobriety Birthday to you!
Old 01-05-2019, 11:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verdantia View Post
Congratulations, DriGuy and thank you for the hope and inspiration! You are proof that the demon alcohol can be defeated. SR has been a vital part of my own recovery. I had 15 years sobriety in 2005, but got complacent, thought I'd got it figured and could handle drinking--needless to say, big mistake. It took me to some dark and nearly fatal places
, but after a number of starts and stops I now have 3 years as of Dec 23, and will never go back. Happy Sobriety Birthday to you!
One thing I have to fall back on, and which I think about from time to time, is that I don't need to drink. So far, I've never turned to that fall back tool. I haven't really needed to, and choosing not to drink is now an unconscious default behavior.

But even if I got it in my head that I could handle drinking, I could ask myself, "For what purpose?" There are lots of non alcoholics who don't drink, seem to be making no sacrifice whatever, and just go about life happily sober. I'm doing that right now. I don't see what I could gain from drinking, even if I COULD drink like a normie. As per another recent thread, I don't play my old drinking tapes much anymore, but I will never forget them or the sorry state I was in.

Congratulations and don't falter again. I don't think you will. You sound like that experiment taught you something important. None of us asked to be alcoholics. We just discovered that we were. It's just a hand we were dealt, but it is possible to live as happily as those non alcoholics who seem to be living enjoyable and productive lives without alcohol.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

congrats