Notices

A good NYE-kind of

Old 01-01-2019, 04:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A good NYE-kind of

I had a great NYE. Had a fun couple over. They don’t drink much and I consider them true friends. Hubby and I both like them and our kids get along. Had this planned with hubby for months (he was on on board with this plan about 80% of the time).

We had a fun time with them: great dinner, conversation, games, fun, etc. They went home around 1am - a super successful, sober, enjoyable NYE for all....except hubby.

Hubby’ did not want to have this type of NYE after all. He had started to make snarky remarks about wanting to party and how he couldn’t wait until next year when “I got back to normal” (Whatever that means). During our evening, our drinking buddies were sending rapid fire texts, with pictures and videos, and hubby was engaging with them via text. He was also heavily drinking all night long - the only drunk one at the party . Anyhow, our friends left and he turned into Dr. Jekyl.... holy cow, his mask slid off and he was just one very angry drunk man. I asked what was wrong and he refused to answer (thankfully) and I went to bed.

I’m pretty sure this is the beginning of the end. He’s finally realizing that I’m serious and I’m not going back to drinking. I have changed my friend group to get away from the drinking buddies and temptation - he hasn’t. My reactions to him have changed. My interactions with my kids have changed- for the better. He can’t see that. His drinking is a deal breaker for me but I’m quite convinced that my not drinking is a deal breaker for him. I have a feeling that 2019 is going to have some big changes.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you had a great time while hubby drank. I hope he does come around.
That must be hard to live with. I'd certainly find it hard to live with, I should say.

But you made it. So congratulations and happy sober new year and beyond.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I admire the resolve in your voice. Doesn't sound plake the most perfect New Year's Eve, but then again you did right by yourself and your family and so it's obvious that you feel rightly at peace with that. Happy New Years and congratulations on doing the right thing. Here's to a new year with nothing but sobriety and all the changes it brings with it.