Notices

checking in: 4 days

Old 01-01-2019, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

checking in: 4 days

Hey SR, I just want to check in. I posted a few weeks ago, without a real plan. Took me a bit to get going. Well, I now have a pretty good system in place, and it has got me through the first four days--including NYE!

One of the biggest changes I have made has been to my diet. When I quit drinking last time, I started eating ice cream and all sorts of Sh*! at night, and guess what, I had tons of trouble sleeping, for the first few months. Then I started taking sleep aids. Not good. I think this that this lead to my relapse. Well, this time, I have been eating well, as much plant-based whole-foods as possible. The first two nights were a bit rough sleeping, but the last few nights have been getting steadily better. I have even had dreams. I can't remember the last time I had a dream. And I have been getting a bit of exercise, walking an hour a day, riding bikes around with the kids.

Anyway, I know it's only four days, but I'm ready for the journey. This morning, my wife said something about me "not drinking for a while." I corrected her: "Not 'a while,' but this is a long-term lifestyle change."

Happy New Year SR!

-Malcolm

Onward!
Old 01-01-2019, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you!
And four days is a long time for us alcoholics, so that's a fete in itself.
And you made it through the new year and came clean with your wife.
You should be proud of yourself, I know you uplifted me today and I'm proud of you.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

All that sounds good Malcolm - but keeping busy and eating healthy is often only part of a successful plan.

have you given any thought yet to what to do if you suddenly feel the desire to drink again?

D
Old 01-01-2019, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Dee,
Yes, I have. There is part of my story that I have not shared. Since I was last here, I was diagnosed with hypertension. For a while, I cut back on alcohol and actually lowered my blood pressure with food. Then the drinking came back and I stopped eating well. Blood pressure went back up. I really did not understand how serious it was. Some other things happened. Without going into more details, I am at the point where if I keep drinking I will not live long--heat attack, stroke, all that stuff is in my future. If I feel the desire to drink again, I understand that alcohol is a life or death situation for me. Drink=die.

sorry if that is too much detail. Actually feels kind of good to share that.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Malcolm, good job on 4 days of sobriety. I agree that it is a lifestyle change. For me, everything had to change. I'm sure that sobriety will be good for your overall health.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, I think it's drink=die for all of us here. Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.

Welcome back. I'm happy for you that you were given a second chance. I don't think we get unlimited free passes.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dee - What are some suggestions for those of us who are needing to plan for future craving to drink? I'd love to hear some ideas!!