Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Well, here we go again, Day 1. Here's to a alcohol free 2019 and beyond.

Notices

Well, here we go again, Day 1. Here's to a alcohol free 2019 and beyond.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:42 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Thx Dee. Think I've checked it out before but I'll go over it again since I haven't really come up with anything yet to fill the void left from drinking time.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:01 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
p***enger

I filled the void with AA meetings and SR for a long time. That was good -- necessary, for me. I learned a *lot* about myself, alcoholism, and other people during that time. Like you, I was ready -- teachable.

I suggest that for now, throw yourself into learning everything you can about recovery. SR is a great place to ask questions and dialogue with other newcomers or not-so-new.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:08 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

You know, as sick as it is my av was screaming at me after my doctors appointment today. Telling me now that we know we're "healthy" might as well have some drinks. Isn't that messed up?? I didn't fall for it though.

End of day 8. Bring on day 9.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:42 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

That AV is nasty.
At my detox clinic I was told that I could have a detox med only 2 times in the year.
Straight away my AV piped up and was ready to have me relapse because I had 2 chances.
How insane is that!?

Luckily I managed to get sober without the Librium detox.
Just like you I was ready to do WHATEVER it took.

Keep learning,
Knowledge is power.
Starve the AV by feeding your sobriety
Old 01-09-2019, 03:30 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Like Dee said about figuring out more than just filling our time, I realized pretty fast what I'd denied - my problem really wasn't alcohol, but my thinking, worldview, behaviors, reactions to life...and I ultimately used alcohol to "deal" to the degree it almost killed me.

Learning how to live without drinking - from small habits to major life overhauls and stuff like handling curveballs that inevitably come (so, not just distracting myself, right?) all had to be built.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:01 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
p***enger

^^^ Agree -- except, quibble --

Alcohol really *was* my problem. It's what brought me to recovery.

I had a lot of other problems: work and relationships, beliefs and morals, mental health. But I couldn't address *any* of them until I was sober and had some tools for how to live without drinking.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:17 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I think we are basically saying the same thing- I certainly had a problem with alcohol as I had totally lost control over it. And my life was beyond unmanageable. It was what I chose to deal with the "cracks" in my thinking, as I call them, that I can trace back years - those characteristics that many alcoholics have in common.

I believe alcoholism is a disease and just removing the literal substance isn't enough - that just makes you a dry drunk. If you don't change everything else, once that's out of the picture, then that person wouldn't have the kind of life I have with all the learning, changes and re-focus etc I've gained.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:06 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Like Dee said about figuring out more than just filling our time.
For myself I think filling my time is a major key though because really that's the main reason why I drank.

I know everyone is different and has different reasons to drink but for the myself it was done mostly out of boredom and to kill time.

If I could find something else I enjoy doing to replace that, I think that would go along ways in preventing relapse.

Again I realize that might not help some people as they may have different reasons to drink but for myself I'd say it's a big deal.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:09 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Forgot to mention: Day 9. lol.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:15 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Day 10.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:56 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
p***enger

What did you do with your day today, Leonidas?
Old 01-10-2019, 03:37 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Was a busy last few days but today the opposite. Today just been taking it easy, lounging around with my dogs and eating junk food lol.

How was your day courage?
Old 01-10-2019, 03:57 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
quat

Congratulations on your decision! Don’t ever talk yourself out of it and you’re golden!

I was terrible at relapse prevention , trying to prevent it meant I was holding onto to the idea more booze was an option and an almost inevitable one.

I drank because I loved the way booze made me feel , indulge that desire enough long enough(which when you really really like it is never enough ) eventually it feels like you can’t do without it.

I don’t not drink because booze makes me feel bad , I don’t drink because I don’t ever want to feel the bad of not drinking when I do.

Knowing that since I quit , I will never feel that particular bad ever again , feels so much better than the ever paling and waning euphoria of more booze could ever promise.

Don’t drink, it just simply is a better way to be, a more authentic existence.

Purposely work to fill your authentic life with ‘things’ that use your time. Don’t fill your time , just so you won’t drink. Purposely don’t drink and enjoy all the time you find , here’s hoping you run short
Old 01-10-2019, 04:03 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Congratulations on your decision! Don’t ever talk yourself out of it and you’re golden!

I was terrible at relapse prevention , trying to prevent it meant I was holding onto to the idea more booze was an option and an almost inevitable one.

I drank because I loved the way booze made me feel , indulge that desire enough long enough(which when you really really like it is never enough ) eventually it feels like you can’t do without it.

I don’t not drink because booze makes me feel bad , I don’t drink because I don’t ever want to feel the bad of not drinking when I do.

Knowing that since I quit , I will never feel that particular bad ever again , feels so much better than the ever paling and waning euphoria of more booze could ever promise.

Don’t drink, it just simply is a better way to be, a more authentic existence.

Purposely work to fill your authentic life with ‘things’ that use your time. Don’t fill your time , just so you won’t drink. Purposely don’t drink and enjoy all the time you find , here’s hoping you run short
Well said dwtbd. Thanks for that.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:34 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
p***enger

Don’t fill your time , just so you won’t drink. Purposely don’t drink and enjoy all the time you find , here’s hoping you run short
^^^ I like this!

Today was up & down. I'm finishing up a project that is going to go in (I hope) 2 days past deadline, and I'm at the point where I'm sick of writing emails about it at 2 a.m. and just want it done. But I saw my son (adult married) for coffee and he makes me laugh. And tonight I'm going to eat a baked potato with a LOT of butter!
Old 01-10-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

This one was my favorite.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:24 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Day 11.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:38 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Great job--getting some serious momentum Leonidas
Old 01-11-2019, 11:49 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Thx Hawkeye, getting there one day at a time.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:55 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep it going Leonidas

D