Notices

Managing withdrawal symptoms

Old 01-10-2019, 12:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
From what I've read on these boards (and I could be wrong), it seems to me that this is a prevalent attitude in the UK, where it's tougher to get detox or inpatient treatment than here in the US. It's possible that a benzo taper would have more of an effect on someone who was naive to the medication, but it can certainly be tried.

I've withdrawn cold turkey and I've done medical detox with a benzo taper; in fact I was told by two doctors that cold turkey in my case on my last binge would probably result in seizures, at best, but they couldn't say for sure. The worst withdrawal was when I was taking klonopin on top of drinking, my doc switched me to Ativan and tapered me over three days....which i've discovered since is far too fast. In any event, if I had the choice between a medical detox with a benzo taper or white knuckling it, I would ALWAYS choose the medical detox. There is still "doing your time" even with medical detox, but it was much less dangerous and got me into counselling and therapy much faster than if I'd had a week or more of horrible withdrawal.

There will be no next time. I swore I'd NEVER go through that again, even with the taper.

He was prescribed generic form of kolonapin too. Maybe that’s why his are so bad.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

By far the worst I've ever felt was klonopin withdrawal, which was prescribed to get me off alcohol. Of course I just did both.

Good luck to you both. What he experienced was worse than mine, and I was pretty bad. I've never been given an antipsychotic like haldol, which would probably be due to DTs and hallucinations. It also sounds like extremely serious physical addiction....inpatient might be a better choice if possible, but outpatient can be very good as well, especially if he remains detoxed.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

wishing all the best for you and your bf ditaliano

D
Old 01-16-2019, 04:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-17-2019, 03:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

When this disease is present, we either die with it or we die because of it.

In the interim, be sure you're taking care of yourself and seeking the help you need to adequately cope with the emotional and spiritual effects of seeing your loved one go through this. Again, I recommend the Friends and Family section for some support.

Best thoughts to ya.