Notices

Lying awake. The fear

Old 12-27-2018, 08:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lying awake. The fear

Lying awake for hours in the middle of the night thinking about all the awful and shameful things I have done . I have drank every day this December and it has made me make poor choices, sleep with colleagues, put my self in danger, black outs. I’m broke and don’t know how I’ll make it through January.

Fear and dread grips my heart. I’m so ashamed.

taken a few codiene tablets to try and help me back to sleep.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am pretty much in the same situation. Going through witjdrawal and been awake for over 48 hours. Hsd a massive panic attack tonight. When I sober up, the anxiety over the trail of destruction I have left behind me is unbearable. I am broke and have no food because I drank it all. I have had enough of this.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I understand. You’re not alone. Not sure how to cope when the anxiety grips. I don’t get panic attacks just a constant gripping dread. The only thing that removes that is opiates or alcohol
Old 12-27-2018, 09:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Blankspace. I can remember nights like that, dreading the fact that I’d have to start drinking again the next morning to make it through.....but it was really just a cycle of fear, there was little or no relief at all towards the end.

I can guarantee you that it’s better once you quit though. Withdrawals suck, but they are only a short/small price to pay to rid yourself of the anchor that alcoho lputs around your neck. You can do this.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your reply

i just so desperately want to be the confident, funny person I am after a few drinks. But not the mess I am when I can’t stop. Or the anxious fog head I am when I don’t drink.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

i just so desperately want to be the confident, funny person I am after a few drinks. But not the mess I am when I can’t stop. Or the anxious fog head I am when I don’t drink.
Hi Blankspace

You can't have one without the other I'm afraid,- trust me I tried.

My problem, and I suspect it might be yours too - is that I couldn't stop at that few drinks point.

In the end I settled for being sober and being me.

Sometimes I'm confident and funny (especially with old friends) and yet sometimes I'm a little intimidated with strangers and shy - I live with both scenarios....I prefer this real me to the drunk other one 1000%.

I hope you'll make the decision to at least give full recovery a try - you'll get past the anxiety and the foggy head in a little while - and you'll sleep much better too

I'd be careful of using codeine to fall asleep too - it's easy to make that a habit - - you don't want another addiction to deal with.

D
Old 12-28-2018, 12:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know what it means to drink yourself into a dark corner, and the light of not being without the alcohol to pass into another stupor is horrifying. Reality being what it is, we just have to face up to the consequences, some of which are less dreadful than we fear, while others can be all too real. The one certain thing that can be done that can improve things is to not drink and to gradually come back into a state where one bit by bit can address what we have dealt into our hands.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

I know that fear. It’s horrendous but it will get easier for you. Hope you start feeling some relief soon it’s such a dark depressing place to be but please try to go get though it without drinking or using
Old 12-28-2018, 01:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry that you are hurting. When I have had 'the fear' in the past I have wanted to crawl into a ball and hide. Maybe try and force yourself out for a walk and soak up some nature. Exercise helps to lift your mood, at least for a while.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

4:41am here. Day 3. I have been awake since 9am Tuesday. Left the apartment once to go to the shop. Withdrawal symptoms are mild but the Insomnia and Anxiety are killing me. Worst christmas ever
Old 12-28-2018, 02:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know that fear all too well. Waking up after 3 hours sleep in the middle of the night, gripped with pure fear and impending doom. Dreading the fact I knew I had to start drinking again as soon as I get out of bed to quell the dark feelings I felt. Dry wretching as I got out of bed. Downing wine and vodka at 5am like a mad man.

The thing is, the remedy is quite simple. Alcohol is what is causing those feelings, and the good news is you never have to feel that way again. Alcohol isn't your friend its your enemy.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

BlSp87, your words resonate with me. My story is well documented so I will spare you that- save to say Xmas 2015 through to Feb 2016, I was so overwhelmed with guilt, the fatigue of pretending to care about myself- I was drinking 5L of rotgut wine a day. I lost 50kg and lost my family, home, possessions- everything.

Fear and shame came with the guilt- which dragged me down to the point that only oblivion from the world by drinking myself senseless made any sense.

There is a LOT of very good info, support and resources at SR.
YOU ARE NOT ALONE, I have been where you are...under the most hellish of circumstances- but I survived, got sober and turned being a victim of booze and depression to being a survivor- where now I heal and grow.
The fact is- you posted here means you have hope, which is the first thing that we need to start to heal. Join some of the newcomer's threads, such as the Class of December '18

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-2-a.html

I was linked as above to the Class of March '16, and I post there daily, mostly days and have learnt a lot (and still do). There is strength in numbers and I got to know people on that thread who I now count as close friends.

With hope comes the ability to believe in something better, something more than what we are.

Do not lose that hope.

Keep posting.

My prayers and support to you.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are you blankspace?

D
Old 12-29-2018, 04:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ugh few things worse that go along with being an alcoholic than those nights. But you can say goodbye to them forever.

How are you today?