Notices

Horrible day

Old 12-28-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Horrible day

Another relapse last night leading to a miserable horrible day full of anxiety, dihorrea and Deppression.

Why I cannot control myself I will never know. Alcoholism is so horrible nearly everybody relapses and when that relapse happens life is back to square one again!

Old 12-28-2018, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Next time try posting for support before you drink. Maybe we can talk you out of it and you won't have to feel horrible the next day.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

It’s insane that out memory forgets these horrible days after a relapse and the av gets us again. Guess that’s alcoholism. I feel for you the depression fear and anxiety is awful as it leaves the body. Hoping you feel better after a nights sleep
Old 12-28-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Been in those shoes HC. It's a horrid, brutal cycle. But you can break free.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been there, too. As lessgravity said, you can break free, though. You do not have to be a slave to the drink.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

What have you been doing to stay sober HC?
maybe we can help you beef up your plan a little?

D
Old 12-28-2018, 01:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.

Anyone who can help me with a plan it will really help.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can give you the recovery action plan link:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

but I thought you explaining what you've been doing to stay sober might be a good start.

What do you do when the cravings hit?

D
Old 12-28-2018, 02:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I find that I start talking a lot and being silly saying things I wish I hadn’t (I suffer from Aspergers).

i then just stressed buy alcohol and binge, I then act on impulse which causes me unpleasant anxiety.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Theres got to be a better way to deal with stress and embarrassment than by using something that only causes more stress and embarrassment, HC.

I was trying to get you to engage about what you do to stay sober to gently suggest that whatever it is, it's clearly not enough, man.

The point I was trying to make was that a recovery action plan needs to be thought about and implemented and re-implemented every day.

Whatever you do to stay sober - even if it's simply coming to SR for support - I believe you need to do that everyday, regardless of how you feel on any given day.

I dunno about you, but waiting until the craving storm is upon me was too late.

Thats what that recovery action plan link is about - being prepared - keeping up the effort, staying committed....

I'm not saying you have to post here or think consciously about recovery for the rest of your life either - but until you can be sure you'll stay sober on your own, it's not a bad idea....

D
Old 12-28-2018, 03:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for your support today Dee. I will study the recovery plan link you sent me.

Like a lot of alcoholics I seem to think saying I will not drink will keep me sober. A daily commitment backed up by daily actions is required.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Actions keep me sober, Highercall. My thinking is what got me in this mess. If I do what Dee said and dedicate myself to my recovery every day and also take the actions associated with that (daily reflections, prayer, reading and posting at SR, calling sponsor, journaling, etc), I am much better equipped to handle my cravings when they hit. I have a daily routine now and I love it. Exercise, meals, cleaning, quiet time and several other things that I do every day. Drinking is not in the routine. I could never think my way out of my problem, I had to act my way out of it.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Highercall View Post
Thank you for your support today Dee. I will study the recovery plan link you sent me.

Like a lot of alcoholics I seem to think saying I will not drink will keep me sober. A daily commitment backed up by daily actions is required.
Thats the ticket
Old 12-28-2018, 04:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Like a lot of alcoholics I seem to think saying I will not drink will keep me sober. A daily commitment backed up by daily actions is required.[/left]
You hit the nail on the head. Having said that, you’ve made the same proclimation/relevation many times over here in your previous posts too. That is also common for alchoholics - denial and deference from the real issue. AKA, you already know what needs to be done, you just choose not to do it.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey, HC--I'm very sorry you had a relapse; it is very common and I have had my share of them. I used to wonder "why?" a lot more regarding my drinking but I realize that the why matters a lot less than just doing everything possible to get sober. Your story resonates with me; I am diagnosed with Asperger's as well and I understand that it is not an easy path; I have issues with executive function in figuring out what to do and when to do it and at what time....it's exhausting, and I am so rooting for you. I used alcohol as self-medication for many years; I thought I was a hopeless case and that I could never stop drinking but I kept trying and now had 3 years of sobriety on Dec 23rd. Please don't look at your relapse as starting back from square one; each quit is a learning experience and you can use this knowledge to form a solid plan for recovery--there are a lot of good ideas in Dee's post. Wishing you all the best; you can definitely do this!
Old 12-28-2018, 05:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.

Anyone who can help me with a plan it will really help.
Walk into any AA meeting, anywhere in the world, and you'll have the foundations of a plan laid before you.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you know that you need to take action each and every day in order to remain sober.