Notices

I wasted a whole year

Old 12-27-2018, 09:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I wasted a whole year

I can't believe that me and my boyfriend broke up a year ago and since then I have achieved nothing. Day after day sitting at home by myself drinking. Even though I grieved his death in July five months have passed and NOTHING HAS CHANGED. What a waste. Now I need to stay stopped to save my life. Otherwise this waste of space will be in a coffin. But this coming year I will commit to pursuing recovery and good health. Aa I will think of everything I can do to change things. Thanks for listening.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wasted 20 years - at least

I think you had a couple of good runs at sobriety and you've said you're open now to the idea of rehab, and AA again.

If you can follow those ideas through 2018 could be a very memorable year for you.

I wasn't sure if you ex was dead or not, but my condolences again - I agree that it's time to take up your life again

D
Old 12-27-2018, 10:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Starting today you get to start making sober memories. They are worth it Sweeti, you are worth it. I'm looking forward to a fabulous year/future for you, and it doesn't start January 1st, it starts now.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have wasted the last 8 years. Drank it all away. 5 jobs, several relationships, and every dime I had. Just keep trying! I am back on day 2....
Old 12-27-2018, 10:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have wasted the last 8 years. Drank it all away. 5 jobs, several relationships, and every dime I had. Just keep trying! I am back on day 2....
Old 12-27-2018, 10:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys I feel a bit better already.. I felt like I was alone in doing this. I am starting off by throwing away a stash of empty bottles and washing up. It's rather late in the day. But I can still get a few things done. I am starting 2019 early lol.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Sorry to hear that wasting. That is a very sad story.. It shows the power of this disease. Hope things get better soon.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 12-28-2018, 03:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It takes each of us a certain amount of pain and wasted time to commit to sobriety. When I got sober at 43 I was crushed because it seemed that I had wasted half my life. The reality is that I likely wouldn't have seen 50 if I hadn't quit, and by getting sober I can now "suit up and show up" every day.

Good luck SC!
Old 12-28-2018, 03:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I like how you identified the problem, but then articulated your commitment to fixing it and the beginnings of a plan to do it. That's how we move on Sweetichick. Let's make 2019 fantastic and full of wonder!

Old 12-28-2018, 03:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Id been drunk my whole life till 5 months ago , teenager to 50 years old. Drunk, every job , business, relationship, holiday, friends all ruined, sacrificed the lot just to keep drinking, the years kept flicking past , and it was always "this is the year I'm going to stop" then it was the next year , then the next and then BANG I'm 50 and going where did my life go to , next to go was my health and after several warnings I decided drink has taken everything else it s not taking my life and I stopped, and day by day I'm staying stopped and sweet chick so can you
Old 12-28-2018, 04:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can do it, Sweeti. I wasted at least 20 years and now the drinking has cost me my absolute dream woman. That is what got me to change. Not the DUI's. Not the jobs. It was losing her. I had to look at that situation and accept that it was all on me, she really had no part. It was time to either stay the same and die drinking after continued pain and shame and resentment or make a committed decision that nothing was worth ever having to feel like this again. I wish you good travels in your journey. I know you can do it. Keep putting one foot in front of the other, literally and figuratively, no matter what happens. Sobriety beats impaired every single day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have actually wasted 15 years but only spent one actually just locked in my house. Avoiding everyone with the internet and doctors as my only outlet. It's horrible to think about. Thanks for all the replies. My phone is playing up and I can't get the mobile version.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SWB

Mine too, scroll to the bottom of the main page where you can choose the mobile version.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
. Aa I will think of everything I can do to change things. Thanks for listening.
something to remember:
thinking of what we can do doesnt help us recover. we have to act.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I hope you can put a firm plan into action and make changes. the hardest thing is to plan for when people/places/things/actions occur that make you want to drink. What have you got in place to stop making all these as excuses/reasons to drink?
Old 12-28-2018, 11:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Why not end this year sober? Why wait for an arbitrary date?
Old 12-28-2018, 11:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sweeti, I'm glad that you're ready to commit to recovery.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
Why not end this year sober? Why wait for an arbitrary date?
I am already sober.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good! SR and meetings help me, and always at the forefront of my thinking is that I cannot drink, no matter what. You can do this, Sweeti, and get you and your life back. Remember what is really important to you and what you want to accomplish. Give yourself a pat on the back for already being sober, and every day you do that will help build your self-esteem and self confidence.