Notices

How to resist the 'drink pushers'

Old 12-27-2018, 02:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to resist the 'drink pushers'

Here's a short BBC article on the above.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46632332

I went out with workmates from a previous employment before Christmas. I just said I have chosen not to drink anymore. No-one questioned it.

Have you been pestered to drink this season? And what did you do about it?
Old 12-27-2018, 02:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I have kind of got around this issue with a bit of artistic license. I tell people I went to a meditation retreat in Thailand and part of it was giving up alcohol. That I really enjoy not drinking anymore and have decided to continue to not drink now I am back home. It’s got some truth as I did go to Thailand for 2 months, I did do meditation and mindfulness many times a day during that period, just in a rehab! But that isn’t anyone else’s business. People find it much easier to accept when I say I am going all zen and no longer drinking, so they don’t push it or try and get me to drink. I can then also be open about a lot of the things I have learned about becoming a better, stronger person. Working on the insides, emotions, acceptance etc and there is no need to mention alcohol. Most people out there have their own deamons and really engage and are interested in being more comfortable in their own skin.

It works for me and I don’t feel the need to tell people I am an alcoholic. x
Old 12-27-2018, 02:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been offered a drink, but never pestered.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, I am my own biggest 'drink-pusher'. I am quite isolated so no one else is pushing drinks on me. My alcoholism has destroyed any semblance of a social life really. It's for the best as I can't drink normally so my friends/family don't have to see me do something stupid.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I haven't really been pestered. If it's offered I politely decline. If anyone needs more than a simple no, thank you I tell them I exceeded my quota and can't have anymore.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been offered many times but so far no one has pushed it on me. I expect it to happen at some point though.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"No, thanks," with a smile. Nothing more needed or offered.

On very rare occasions, I'll say, "I don't drink" or "I don't like alcohol." If someone doesn't know me well, then it's none of their business why I don't drink. And my friends respect my wishes.

People can push if they want. I don't get upset. I just shrug and move on. I can't control what other people do. We live in a drinking society and I don't drink. It doesn't surprise me that people want me to join in on what they assume is a harmless drink. It's up to me to say no and mean it.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I had a really really drunk guy insist he buy me a drink. I told him i am in training and trying to take it to a new level. He loved that response. He bought me a seltzer with extra lime in a short drink glass. I saved him at least $2.

Folks that are active drinkers dont get it.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If somebody is politely offering, a simple "no thank you" will usually suffice. If it goes beyond that I have no problem saying I'm an alcoholic and I don't drink anymore.

The response generally goes one of two ways. Most people are respectful and might even give you some respect for getting your house in order. A few people will get defensive because it makes them question their own drinking habits and then they'll leave you alone.

It's been my experience that the stern, direct approach is the only way to shut down people from the second group.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just tell people I don't drink. If they knew me as a drinker Ill tell them I drink drink anymore. Both work just fine for me for each occasion.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
I have kind of got around this issue with a bit of artistic license. I tell people I went to a meditation retreat in Thailand and part of it was giving up alcohol. That I really enjoy not drinking anymore and have decided to continue to not drink now I am back home. It’s got some truth as I did go to Thailand for 2 months, I did do meditation and mindfulness many times a day during that period, just in a rehab! But that isn’t anyone else’s business. People find it much easier to accept when I say I am going all zen and no longer drinking, so they don’t push it or try and get me to drink. I can then also be open about a lot of the things I have learned about becoming a better, stronger person. Working on the insides, emotions, acceptance etc and there is no need to mention alcohol. Most people out there have their own deamons and really engage and are interested in being more comfortable in their own skin.

It works for me and I don’t feel the need to tell people I am an alcoholic. x
One of the precepts for a lot of Zen Buddhist practices is no psychoactive substances. It's not required to take the precepts to practice Zen, but taken them shows a commitment.

Just say you're interested in Zen and one of the precepts is no drinking.

Myself....anyone I'm remotely close to knows I had a drinking problem and don't drink anymore.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I can honestly say I've never once had a drink "pushed" on me since I quit drinking, no thanks has always been a sufficient answer. Anyone that would push something on me against my will whether it be a drink, a cookie or a used car is not someone I would spend time with.