Notices

Holy communion

Old 12-26-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Though I am spiritual, I am not religious so I am not sure about your situation.

But I truly believe that any beliefs a person has can be practiced without alcohol, even wine. Where I live, most Catholic Churches serve grape juice. I just know this from my friends who attend mass. I think that serving wine at communion today may be a bit archaic but that’s just me. I hope I don’t offend anyone here.

I would be careful that this doesn’t become another rationalization. It makes me think of me justifying that a sip of champagne is ok on New Year’s Eve because it’s New Year’s Eve. I realize that’s off the topic of religion but it’s just what I thought of. I will be drinking sparking cider on New Years Eve, btw

As others have said, the more important issue is waiting until after the holidays. Why are you waiting? The best time to stop is always right now.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I’m with Carl, if you haven’t stopped drinking yet this sounds like just more of your addiction looking for excuses to drink. As has been shared by many, there are many practical solutions to continue practicing your faith in relation to alcohol.

When are you planning on addressing the real problem?
Old 12-26-2018, 07:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Communion is a ritual, and rituals are symbolic. I don't think ritual is an important part of belief, but for some it seems to important, but if there is a god, he's not going to send you to Hell for skipping communion. I prefer to think a benevolent god, would want to improve your life, not wreck it.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
under new management

My church uses grape juice. Otherwise I would skip it.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Communion is a ritual, and rituals are symbolic. I don't think ritual is an important part of belief, but for some it seems to important, but if there is a god, he's not going to send you to Hell for skipping communion. I prefer to think a benevolent god, would want to improve your life, not wreck it.
I think you missed the entire point of the O/P. Nice hijack, tho.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlownOne View Post
I think you missed the entire point of the O/P.
Wouldn't be the first time.