Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Visiting relatives tomorrow-husband says I “have to drink a little”

Notices

Visiting relatives tomorrow-husband says I “have to drink a little”

Old 12-26-2018, 09:40 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hootowlhoot View Post
Other wise have a drink and and decline additional
Because declining a drink means your pregnant or your a drunk
[/left]
Wow, that is a sad outlook that your husband has. I have people in my life who don't drink for religious reasons and people who don't drink because of the sports they are involved in. Saying, 'No thanks' to an offer of alcohol does not tell the world that you have a drinking problem. It tells whoever offered you the drink that you don't want a glass of wine, thanks.

Good job on getting through Christmas!
Old 12-26-2018, 10:32 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gettingcloser View Post
Thank you for the update. I was thinking of you!
thank you! Well,
today isnt offnto a great start with him. I’m having a good day at work but he is flying off texts to me right now , he is in a bad mood about the holidays and family in general. I told him I’m not feeding into it. It’s exausting doing this I know not drinking won’t solve our problems but it doesn’t seem to help either. My whole head hurts now. I want to not drink though so I can stay level headed during these times and he has one less thin to hold over my head
Old 12-26-2018, 10:41 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

It is weird that he thinks it is so important to appear to drink. And if it is such an issue, why not just tell his parents that you are an alcoholic in recovery?
Old 12-26-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
It is weird that he thinks it is so important to appear to drink. And if it is such an issue, why not just tell his parents that you are an alcoholic in recovery?
becsuse it’s a huge embarrassment to him
Old 12-26-2018, 12:22 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Or just say she doesn't drink because she is healthy and doesn't want to drink. It's really not a big deal. He sounds so so so controlling.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:37 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you stayed strong hoot - and glad your husband agreed in the end.

To be honest tho it sounds like this dynamic between you has been going on a while. Its a bizarre mindset to me now where being sober is less embarrassing that being fall down drunk but I know that mindset exists.

It may be a bit much to expect that you being sober for a short while will change anything much?

That doesn't mean the efforts not worth it!

In the longer term tho I hope it does, but who knows - this is your journey not your husbands,

D
Old 12-26-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Well done! I honestly think that if you keep laying down your boundaries and holding strong, most spouses will adjust. My husband and I are by no means a perfect couple, but we’ve evolved over time, and part of that has involved me setting boundaries. Anyway, I echo what everyone else says : you have to look out for youself.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:55 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Life is good

Congratulations on your recovery.

There was a lot of emotional and psychological abuse going on in my life before I had any idea the things that seemed normal and familiar to me were actually very hurtful and damaging.

Al-anon and nar-anon are great resources, along with domestic violence recovery hotlines and help centers. Simply having people who understand abusive situations helped me see things more clearly and I started gaining tools and skills to deal with ithem.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

This season seems to bring out the weirdness in my husband too. Christmas day we had a big blow out fight because the drama with family and the stress of all that was on our plates.
So life still has its challenges but because I am not drinking I am able to deal with this seasonal sh*tshow with a clear head. I am not confrontational (major thing for me when I was drinking) I watch my sober self take everything in stride. I am present and functioning. I know when to hold em' and I know when to fold em'.
Above all else, stay sober. You can't go wrong with that approach.