Notices

Christmas Weekender 21-27th December 2018

Old 12-21-2018, 06:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I just got a very good letter from Trach. He sends fond greetings to all of you.

He is thoroughly enjoying and applying himself to the full program. He is 100 days’ sober now, but he says that’s just the tip of the iceberg of the real, roto-rooter, from the core up building of character and personality that has to take place. He said that much of the self he came in with—the coping mechanisms, especially the sassy, cheeky ones, needs to be completely dismantled in order to form the real him.

As he says, “I don’t know who I ‘m going to be yet when I grow up.”

And that’s fine with him. He’s not rushing anything. In fact, that gives his counselors a lot of confidence: he is not pumping his fists with victory, but is very content to have his nose to the grindstone.

He is in the process now of recalling and focusing on all the ways that others have damaged him in life and contributed to his root addictive blameshifting behavior.

He is making good progress in addressing and releasing bitterness, and within the month he hopes to be in the next step, owning up to and making amends for how he has damaged others.

Trach is definitely still the guy we all know and love—but he’s way, way different.

I think we would all really take our hats off to him. The simple, calm humility and eagerness to learn are a sight to behold.

It’s another exciting example of how real, thorough personal recovery is a beautiful thing.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am in. Thanks Dee. This will be my first sober Christmas in a very long time......a decade anyway. I relapsed after 6 months sober last Christmas. I had been really worried about it as I am only 2 months sober again. We have friends coming and there will be alcohol in the house (I banned it for the last 2 months). However, today I feel calmer. I believe this is possible now. I will be coming here a lot.......

Lovely to see all the familiar weekenders.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Support DS
Old 12-21-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread, Dee.

Looking forward to a sober and happy holiday weekend for all of us
Old 12-21-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Earth Child

HAPPY YULE TO THE PAGANS OUT THERE
Old 12-21-2018, 08:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Support DS
Thank you PJ.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Nice to see you, Serenity River!
Old 12-21-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Thanks so much Gilmer for the update from Dale. It’s so lovely to hear how he is getting on and that he is really embracing this opportunity. You’ve made my day! xx
Old 12-21-2018, 11:38 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Snuggled up on the sofa, candles flickering, cat outside happily playing in the rain, got a full tray on my lap with lots of different types of cheese and pâté and a plate of crackers! Watching the new Sandra bullock movie Bird Box on Netflix. I’ve never been more happy to be sober than I am right in this moment! xx
Old 12-21-2018, 01:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Time to hit the hay and get down to some mad cheese dreams haha! Night everyone, sleep tight xx
Old 12-21-2018, 02:13 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Sober Solsticians Selebrate!

An appropriate Day around here to mark the shortest Day of the Year. High Clouds. Some Snow on the Mountains. Kinda cold. A good Day to look back on sometime after it warms up. Me and MesaVille are both *dry*.

Below, some Rural Immigrants from the Ranch way down below us meandered up our way. This Pic is through the Great Room Window. The Herd is noshing on whatever dead Weeds they can find, so it's a win-win situation for them to wander. The Herding Dogs will round them up efficiently before too long, and the Sheep bolt at the slightest noise. Life In The Wild West...

The Clothes Dryer decided to kick off intermittently while I was drying Sheets. So, I just got done reassembling it from a full-on Vacuuming after disassembly. Lotsa Lint and Debris after many Years, and I think that was causing periodic over-heating. Some of the Lint was scorched black, so we dodged the proverbial Bullet on that one.

Nice to hear about Trach rockin' Recovery! Many thanks for that most excellent Post, Gilmer.

To kinda roll with Manta's cheesy Theme, here's a Xmas Song outta The Wayback Machine. Sort of a neat ending, too...

~ 'The Christmas Hippo Song' ~ Gayla Peevey ~

Old 12-21-2018, 03:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Evening all on this festive weekend.

Glad to hear Trach is doing good in recovery.

Wishing all of you the very best over the next few days. A special big wish to all those, like myself, going through their first sober holiday period in a long while. Together we can do this.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

It's phase two of the holidays for me, with being off work until January 3rd and largely by myself. I've got to be careful of what I listen to internally and what I ward away. I made it through a long Thanksgiving break just fine, and I plan on working it the same way this go around. I just have never cared for the holiday season much and in the past drank my way through it. I'll be checking in regularly.

To those who are celebrating the Solstice or other holiday rites, I wish you the happiest of times with care and sincerity.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:08 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders BlueWellies!

Good to see you Serenity.

Adding my thanks for the Trachemys update Gilmer. Really pleased he is doing so well.

Great minds etc, I was going to post that Gayla Peevey Hippo Song. Former Weekender LBrain used to post it at this time. He is a year and a day or two ahead of be and so will hit the 5 year mark in a few days. It would be great to hear from him.

Well, it is 1 am, I have been out exceptionally late by my standards but I really didn't have any drinking thoughts while I was out. All good. I recieved my 1st Xmas present earlier in the day from a co-worker, wrapped it was somewhat disconcerting but unwrapped it turned out to be a banana guard. Ain't civilisation great?

Have a good evening all.

Here's something from London.
https://youtu.be/fDrl6ugMTQ4

Old 12-21-2018, 05:40 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!
I’m in!

So glad to hear about trach

Manta. I think I’m gonna watch that movie , your dreaming now I’m sure in a nice slumber.

Mesa, sooooo cool!!!

I’m coming out there in a week or two—I’ll pm you.

Son is downstairs with some friends, daughter is upstairs with her boyfriend (bedroom door is open)😳

I’m sitting here cozy posting and staying sober with you all

Old 12-21-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Reminds me of the time my little sister wanted an elephant for christmas. lol.....
Old 12-21-2018, 07:10 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
Happy Solstice fellow godless heathens!

and Happy One-and-a-Halfth birthday to me - 18 months sober - yay

stay safe everyone, it's a tough time of year if you think you're missing out by not drinking - there be only dragons there for me
I meant to express my congratulations this morning, but obvioulsy forgot so.... Congrats Andyh, 18 months is wonderful.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:09 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Yes! Congratulations, AndyH!
Old 12-21-2018, 10:27 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Congrats, Andy.

I'll be back after I wake up.

oh congrats Andy and thanks for the gorgeous gif Bim! I watched Christopher Robin on the plane and I totally LOVED IT ❤️❤️❤️ Reminded me of growing up with my Mum reading me bedtime stories, and I still have my very own Pooh bear ❤️❤️❤️
Old 12-21-2018, 10:32 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

The sun came out and I went for a lovely walk this morning We have pulled up to camp by a beach tonight (no drinking buddies here, yay!) then it started raining so I put my raincoat on and went for another lovely walk on the beach in the rain