Notices

Quitting before Christmas

Old 12-20-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting before Christmas

The quitting 6 days before Christmas thread is interesting. I have not had a drink since about 8:30 am today 20/12/2018 can this be my sobriety date or do I need to call it 21/12/2018 as I have had alcohol today?

i have a small amount of rum and a bottle of port so I might as well drink that and start in the new year right. WRONG I have to stop now today from this moment onwards. Why? The reason is I do not know what will happen to me if I take that first drink. I cannot have a sip of alcohol without it turning into a bender with potential terrible anxiety provoking consequences.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Count the days however you want - thats not really the important bit IMO.

The important bit is to pour out/get rid of any alcohol you have left,

Like you say the stakes are too high even for one mouthful of booze.

You can do this HC

D
Old 12-20-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have to agree, wouldn't it feel so liberating to dump that poison down the drain? You are in charge of your destiny, what a great way to celebrate the winter solstice (21/12/18)!!! That's a great day for new beginnings and a new life for you!
Old 12-20-2018, 07:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee on sober day. I had my last drink by 11PM so it was easy to just set the next day as my sober day (even though I started it off still drunk). My quit smoking date I had my last cigarette at around 8:30AM on that day. Founder’s day for AA I believe is the day Dr. Bob had his last beer? Dump it out and start your new life!
Old 12-20-2018, 08:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi HC, as you know from others experiences, there could be more severe consequences than anxiety
Down, down, down the drain! It’s so liberating!
No counting or sober date necessary. No need to overthink it. The time is now. Right here right now. Then just take it one breath at a time!
Old 12-20-2018, 08:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Pour it out and start now. Get thru the ups and downs of early recovery, and then start enjoying your sober life. It took me a while to 'settle down', but it helped that I started practicing gratitude every day.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I poured out a third of a bottle yesterday, never did that before. I think it shows you really want to fight. But, 4 hours later I wanted it back. For me the first week is the hardest.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree, stop now and by New year you'll have the first week and more, over and done with - You can go dancing and smiling into 2019