Notices

Aa

Old 12-20-2018, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Aa

Hey all!

Yesterday, I celebrated 8 months of sobriety. I also attended my 2nd AA meeting. I just sat and listened at my first meeting. This nice lady there who is 11 years sober sat with me. I told her some of my story and I told her how much it would mean to me if I had a chip. They don’t give out chips until the end of the month but she went to the back and gave me a 24 hour chip to hold onto until I could come back and get my 8 month chip. Last night, they called on me to go up and speak. I’m not good at public speaking but I felt safe there. It felt so good to be in a place with absolutely no judgment (like here in SR!) with people who understand exactly what you’re going through. After the meeting a few people came up to me. One man suggested I get a sponsor to work through my steps as I mentioned I am struggling with the guilt and shame of my alcoholism. He said he is also a “recovering Catholic” as that guilt is burned into our brains when we grow up. No offense to Catholics as I was raised Catholic too but I found this funny because the guilt aspect has always been true for me! Another man approached me and told me not to worry, speaking up there will become easier as he knew I was nervous. He asked me if I noticed how loud that group applauded for me... he said “they applaud just as loud for your 8 months as they did for someone with 14 years. You’re safe here”. I know AA isn’t for everyone... I was skeptical and scared at first too but I just want to encourage anyone who is struggling to at least go and sit in on a meeting. You don’t have to speak if you don’t want to, you can just listen. I went out of curiosity and I’m so glad I did. My only regret is I didn’t go earlier in my sobriety as I feel like it would have truly helped me when I was starting my journey. The lady I met at my first meeting gave me her phone number and asked me to please come back to get my chip because she wants to be there to watch me receive it. She is 11 years sober and still goes to meetings 4 times a week. These people have become her family and they have already accepted me as their family as well. It’s a form of therapy and when I left last night I was on a high that I couldn’t get when I was drinking a bottle of vodka a day. Anyways, I just wanted to share my experience and encourage anyone on the fence about trying AA to just give it a try and see if it’s for you. The worst that can happen is you don’t like it. Thanks for listening. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and safe holiday!
Old 12-20-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A safe and peaceful Xmas to you. Great post ds.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

really glad you're doing well dearsobriety

D
Old 12-20-2018, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you're doing well and feeling good about things.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That’s awesome, ds. I hope your post helps someone get to a meeting who might not otherwise.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is good

Congratulations on your sobriety! Happy holidays, Aa.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love your post. I find AA and NA such great meetings. I can not add more. You said it all. Merry Xmas to you
Old 12-21-2018, 04:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post!
I love AA. I adore the camaraderie. I need face to face and I really need to listen in particular to the hard things about me, my character, my choices, my thinking. People get to know you & they care. They've been through it and they continue do it sober...in large part B.C. they still make meetings...imo. I like the saying with God in one hand & AA in the other it's impossible to pick up a drink.
I do get that its not for everyone. I think the quality of the meeting matters. I am extremely fortunate to live in a great recovery town. Huge population of alcoholics/addicts. Meetings are packed and vast. I have 2 home groups and make at least 5 a week. They are def. my people. Took me a while to gind a Sponsor but I did. She is incredible.
Truly the easier, softer way.
Congratulations on your time!!
Jules
​​​​​​
Old 12-21-2018, 10:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you went to the meetings. My group I go to is wonderful! The only difference is that they offer to give chips at every meeting. So they ask if anyone was sober for 24 hrs, 30 days, 60 days, 90days, and then years. If anyone is either of those they raise their hand and they get their chip. They share stories, there is no cross talk. So the person speaking has the floor and can say what they feel like and not get judged. It is a safe place and it feels good to share.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My only regret is I didn’t go earlier in my sobriety as I feel like it would have truly helped me when I was starting my journey.

That's the same conclusion I reached after attending my first AA meeting.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Jules714;7081407]
“I like the saying with God in one hand & AA in the other it's impossible to pick up a drink.”

I love this! Thank you!
Old 12-22-2018, 11:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas

Great Post, so honest and true , I first did not give AA, the chance to help me, now I am, it's a real place to find help and build a new start.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So glad you went and well done on 8 months!
I’m just over 1 month and doing 2 meetings a week, I love it, I look forward to them and feel great after them, it’s definitely helping me!!

happy sober Xmas all xx
Old 12-23-2018, 12:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Love hearing people finding success in a program - I am a firm believer we need others to keep going and growing in sobriety. Glad you have found a good place - I started AA right away, and know plenty of others (my husband, a few months into his sobriety) who decide to give it a true effort at later points.

Keep going and happy holidays!
Old 12-23-2018, 12:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Love hearing people finding success in a program - I am a firm believer we need others to keep going and growing in sobriety. Glad you have found a good place - I started AA right away, and know plenty of others (my husband, a few months into his sobriety) who decide to give it a true effort at later points.

Keep going and happy holidays!
congratulations on your time and your sobriety. Have a Happy Holiday and a joyous New Year!
Old 12-23-2018, 01:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am in AA and love it too. Sometimes I have found myself questioning it or wondering if it is for me but I realised that was my own self will and me trying to run the show! It really does work if you work it and are willing to listen with an open mind and heart. I too am extremely lucky to have an amazing home group and a fantastic sponsor plus I live in a city with many,many meetings.

I heard the saying a head full of AA and a belly full of booze don't mix but never heard with God in one hand and AA in the other it is impossible to pick up a drink. I LOVE it. Amazing! Bloody love this programme,

Thanks for sharing. Keep coming back!!!