Notices

It's been pretty easy - today not so much

Old 12-20-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's been pretty easy - today not so much

Not sure why at all but i've been abstaining since the spring 100% after having a 60 beer a week habit for the year before that. It's been pretty much a breeze. Feeling well and doing well. For some reason today out of the blue i want to have a few beers. Nothing bad is going on, no real trigger i can think of, just a feeling of wanting a few beers.

I'm nearly certain i'm not going to but this is a little frustrating not understanding why this urge is here. My plan is to hit the gym as always and eat right after as i know from the early stages of sobriety eating made the cravings go away.

What gives..........
Old 12-20-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I’ve had the same thing. But I never needed an excuse to drink when I was drinking either.
My sponcer told me he went out of town after being sober and it hit him like a ton of bricks. He called his sponcer who told him to come for a visit when he returned from the trip. My sponcer immediately met with him and his sponcer said: “you want to know why you had a sudden urge to drink? It is because you are an alcoholic!”
Old 12-20-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Its a tough time of year with alcohol ads all over the place and parties going on. I remember my first sober Christmas (this time last year) I literally stalked this forum From waking up to going to sleep I would be in the 'arcade' up top.
Not so bad this time.
When I did go out I would run everywhere (not at an athletes pace, by any means) and it got rid of the nervous energy.
Hang in there
Old 12-20-2018, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Same

People, Places, Things, Seasons, Stores, weather, days, evenings, Nights... the list continues. As long as we can Communicate when we’re struggling to get our mind back to focus and not pick up, is the ultimate goal my friend

Last edited by JackRabbit1; 12-20-2018 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Mistake in spelling
Old 12-20-2018, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What are you doing to stay sober?
Old 12-20-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It happens. Maybe you're feeling some Holiday stress? The main thing is you notice what's happening so you can deal with it.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I dont feel any stress for the holidays, just a weird day i guess.

I am really into fitness so i went to the gym and banged out some weights for an hour then had a decent sized lunch. Craving is gone....

Just weird to have it out of the blue after so long with nothing. When i decided to stop drinking that was it, i just stopped and the cravings never came. I was happy to be done with it. It wasnt fun anymore and i knew i was ruining my health. This all came out of the blue

I think i'm bored. I' super busy as as i own a fairly large business and have 3 small kids so i'm busy from 5am to 8pm every day but i'm still bored it seems.....

Guess i needed to ride the wave, glad i came out the other side. I really appreciate all of your words here
Old 12-20-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know many people who stopped and then never craved a drink again.

Thoughts are thoughts - it what we do with them that counts.

Going to the gym and keeping busy can be an important part of a recovery action plan but if you ever want to dig a little deeper and address the nuts and bolts of not drinking, this is a great link

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)
Old 12-20-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have the same thoughts. I get off work and I think oh I need to stop at the store and get some wine and then I remember I don't drink any more and I really don't want a drink. I think it's just because that was my habit and I just focus my mind on something else and the thought is gone.