Notices

Day 1

Old 12-17-2018, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Here and now

Day 1

Been a good year, with lots of ups and downs. I have manage to stay sober for most of it, but have had a number of slips. I just had one again.

So I'm here again, with a tweak on my old plan. I am committed to posting daily, as my problem is when things get good, I start phasing things out of my plan which always ends the same.

I haven't given up hope that I will get this to stick.

Thanks for having me back time and time again. Means tons.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, and I'm glad you plan to keep posting often. You can do this and I think the support here will help you.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Ekohe,

I am tweaking my plan as well. I just joined the forum today for one of my important steps. I can relate to what you say about phasing things out when things are going good. It's so important for us not to become complacent.

Thanks for sharing this post, we can all do this!
Old 12-17-2018, 10:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Daily contacts with recovering alcoholics was essential for me. Stick to the plan.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So good to see you, Ekohe. Welcome back.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Ekohe

Post here daily is good - what other things does your plan entail?

D
Old 12-17-2018, 05:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Here and now

Thank you all for the kind words, being a little tough on myself today.

Dee - I will be going to a few meetings this week. I also realize that all I ever did was isolate when I would quit drinking, so I am using an app to help me find meet ups in my area. I feel very raw right now, as I am telling myself it always ends the same.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Back Again!

First of all we only have 1 day. Second, I’m in the same boat after going back to the bottle off and on from Thanksgiving to now 😩. I have been sober for years and with a blink of an eye I’m back into the rollercoaster of madness. We can do this and need to maintain soberity as priority 1.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Here and now

Absolutely agree, Jack. We are fortunate as well to have found this forum. I found after these last few attempts of quitting I have to put a lot more effort in changing a lot of my life, instead of just "not drinking" as it were. I isolate and end up bored and depressed which makes the chances of a relapse almost inevitable.

Day 2, physically feeling better but still feel drained and a little anxious. Going to focus on getting through today and getting some things lined up for my future (studying again, but I have found running a landscape business I was over confident having only laboured.) Going to school again at 27 feels odd to me, but I know that is a ridiculous thought.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad to see you too, Ekohe! Congrats on your Day 2 - things will improve & you'll be so glad you did this.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ekohe View Post
Thank you all for the kind words, being a little tough on myself today.

Dee - I will be going to a few meetings this week. I also realize that all I ever did was isolate when I would quit drinking, so I am using an app to help me find meet ups in my area. I feel very raw right now, as I am telling myself it always ends the same.
I think one of the key benefits of AA, even if I haven't embraced the 12 steps as eagerly (or zealously) as some, is that it's an essential way to avoid the tendency to nest and isolate. Listening to others celebrate their sobriety or share their struggles, and sharing my own thoughts, is essential. Headed to a lunch-time meeting in a few minutes as it happens.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back and congrats on choosing to get this thing right. It's a better life and it can be yours. Sounds like you have a plan. There can be no slipping if you want to get the life you deserve. Looking forward to seeing your journey.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome- how are you today?
Old 12-18-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hey you
Old 12-19-2018, 05:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Here and now

Day 3.

It was a good day. For the first time in about 6 years my mind wasn't constantly racing. I'm not sure what triggered it but I cannot put into words what a relief it is. Tomorrow I will start going to meetings again, and then I have Christmas with just the family to look forward too. After the holidays I have a lot of work to do.