Notices

I really want to drink tonight

Old 12-16-2018, 01:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I really want to drink tonight

I’ve been entertaining the idea of drinking tonight. This is my first Christmas without my daughter. She’s with her dad and will be gone for another couple of weeks.my boyfriend works nigh shift and I just feel depressed and unhappy with myself. I spend a huge amount of time at the gym but it hasn’t been giving me any of the pleasure it used to.

I know now I will not enjoy how drinking tonight will make me feel tomorrow. I’ll have shame, the sweats, the self-Hatred even more than normal.

I’m reaching out and asking for help or suggestions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SWB

Don’t do it. You will feel horrible tomorrow and most likely drink that night as well. Nothing good can from from it. Watch a show you enjoy, go for a walk. Good luck
Old 12-16-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Urge surfing! It works for me. Even if I'm pacing around the house cursing through it. Focusing on stuff I don't like to do (clean the cat box, laundry) gives me a reason to join in my feelings of unhappiness while also accomplishing things that need to be done. Like I'm righteous in those moments.

Glad you posted. Sending you good vibes. Focus on playing the tape forward as they say and remember why you cannot drink.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Read the opening post in this thread; https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...3-day-1-a.html (Day 1)

And then look up some AA meetings in your area. I'm not an avid AA'er,but was sent there via the courts. The meetings really helped me get a solid footing towards my sobriety and also something 'positive' to do when I felt like drinking/bored.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure it will be tough to go through the first Christmas without your daughter. Maybe you could try to make this a holiday season where you start some new traditions. Maybe you could spend some time sorting photos that you have on your phone or PC and organize them? Or there might be a homeless shelter that could use some help with serving their Christmas meal? I hope you find some peace.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Pearldoor
It sounds like you’re looking for something to take away your boredom/unhappiness. You realize that drinking is only a temporary fix and that you’ll regret, so why not figure out something else. Why throw in the3 towel for one lonely evening?

Can you give your daughter a call “just because”? Maybe it’ll brighten your mood. How about shopping or a movie - even if alone? Heck, buy some ice cream and cozy up on the couch for a movie. Write a letter, clean your junk drawer or purse. Read some poetry. Bake some cookies. Do some weekday chores. Polish your nails and pluck your eyebrows. Anything but drinking.

If you find yourself alone a lot in the evenings maybe you can do some volunteer work? Organize a clothing drive for a womens shelter or a toy drive for disadvantaged kids....this can be temporary and fill the void your daughter left.

Hope you figure it out.... without alcohol.....you know that is a mistake!
Old 12-16-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

1. Really nice job checking in here before you drank. So many nights when I drank I'd entertain the thought of coming to SR and instead go to my demons
​​​​​​2. I also can't recommend urge surfing enough.

How are you doing?
Old 12-16-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Pearldoor View Post
I’ve been entertaining the idea of drinking tonight.
Your addiction is knocking at the door. Don't let it in. Don't throw away two weeks sober. Early sobriety can be a struggle. You know what makes it harder? drinking.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Do Something nice for yourself...bubble bath, go shopping, get a pedicure, read a good book. Read and post here.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi. I’m catching up here. Not sure what time zone you are in. I hope by coming here you have talked yourself out of drinking. There are so many alternatives to dealing with sadness, boredom, whatever. I think you need a replacement thought, behavior and maybe drink (mine is orange spice tea with honey or a sprite with lime. It’s a ritual now) when you have these moments. Like Yinzer said. I did all those things and eventually those new habits stuck almost as an automatic thing. I eventually did have to break the amazon shopping habit too though. Lol

Also, did you read some of the scary posts from earlier today? I think we can all learn from others experiences and relapses.

You can do this! You will feel so much better and stronger if you wake up tomorrow without having drank tonight.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Proud of you for posting! That's a big deal.
2 weeks are great! Its hard to hang on in these moments but know it gets so much better and easier each day, each thought you dont act on with drinking. Thoughts become less frequent. Youre doing really very well. Good job!
Jules
Old 12-16-2018, 05:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You've already played it through....you stated how you would feel if you drank. And you are right. Working through not having my son when he was with his father when I was sober was tough - but necessary. I spent a lot of time reading, watching movies, cleaning, reorganizing, and spending time with people who were supporting my sobriety. Love that you are checking in before drinking!
Old 12-16-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

How are you doing now, Pearldoor? It feels so good when we can make it over these hurdles - and we grow stronger.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the heartfelt replies. I cried as I read them. I am just so lonely. I am still sober, though. I ate a bunch of junk food. I know that’s not a good choice but it’s better than drinking right now. So I am sitting with my loneliness, watching a movie, still eating chocolate and not drinking.

I am going to look into volunteering and spending some time being more productive.

Thank you you again for taking the time to respond. Im not going to drink today.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Pearl,

Eat sweets. Cookies, candy, yogurt, fruit etc. Totally curbs all crave for me.

Regarding the gym. The key for me is to mix it up. 3 different types of cardio. Different machines, free weights. Go with heavy weight low reps instead of light weight high reps.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've never woken up sober wishing I had drank the night before.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great job posting here, and not drinking. You are going to wake up feeling great. While your daughter is away try to do something special for yourself, as moms we forget to do that sometimes. Also, plan something special for the two of you when she gets back. What do the two of you love to do together?
Old 12-16-2018, 09:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Love your attitude, Pearldoor. Keep putting it off and take it one breath at a time. The volunteering and thinking of ways to be productive are great ideas and will make you feel a lot better.
Btw, I ate a lot of chocolate too, in the beginning. I remember my therapist telling me that when I feel weak or have drinking urges it’s ok to allow myself to do anything I want (well, you know, within reason) that I may not normally do just as long as I don’t drink. That was really helpful early on. Eventually the alcohol urge would pass. I also learned to stop looking for external things to soothe me. No more need for obsessive shopping, or chocolate to replace alcohol. I do a lot more meditation and exercise now.

Hope to keep seeing you here
Old 12-16-2018, 10:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post

And then look up some AA meetings in your area. I'm not an avid AA'er,but was sent there via the courts. The meetings really helped me get a solid footing towards my sobriety and also something 'positive' to do when I felt like drinking/bored.
Agreed! Long term I know the steps remove the obsession to drink. Short-term, just going to a meeting is a good reset and reminder to stay the course even if you don't intend to dive into the AA stepwork at the moment.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matrac View Post
Pearldoor
It sounds like you’re looking for something to take away your boredom/unhappiness. You realize that drinking is only a temporary fix and that you’ll regret, so why not figure out something else. Why throw in the3 towel for one lonely evening?

Can you give your daughter a call “just because”? Maybe it’ll brighten your mood. How about shopping or a movie - even if alone? Heck, buy some ice cream and cozy up on the couch for a movie. Write a letter, clean your junk drawer or purse. Read some poetry. Bake some cookies. Do some weekday chores. Polish your nails and pluck your eyebrows. Anything but drinking.

If you find yourself alone a lot in the evenings maybe you can do some volunteer work? Organize a clothing drive for a womens shelter or a toy drive for disadvantaged kids....this can be temporary and fill the void your daughter left.

Hope you figure it out.... without alcohol.....you know that is a mistake!

I was trying to fill my boredom and self loathing with something. Anything, really. I made i througv the night and don’t have the urge to drink but I probably ate 2 days worth of calories. I am thankful that I didn’t drink but I’ve also got to realize that this void in me can’t be healed with booze or food or any other “stuff”.