Notices

Different this time...

Old 12-15-2018, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Different this time...

Day 37 AF. I haven't been on SR for a while. I had 30 days AF then binge drank for 7 days and went into inpatient rehab in Sydney 9 November. Haven't drank since.
Everything is different this time when quitting. I was exposed to both AA and NA during my rehab stint both internal and external meetings. I would never have thought I would EVER set foot inside one of those places as it sounded so churchy/cultish even. To this day the 12 steps are still a bit confusing and have a lot to learn and to work on. Today I am on step 3..
I have never been a Christian person and still today do not consider myself to be one. I do believe there is a higher power though something that guides us. To me the higher power can be nature, ocean anything you want...Your GOD is whoever whatever it is..I like that about NA.. I have a homegroup in NA in Sydney where regular members meet mon-fri before I go to work and we read a quote from "just for today " book and share our recovery stories relating to that quote. It is so vital for me to have the connectivity with others in recovery. It reminds me where I have been when a "newcomer" shares their story, when somebody relapses and walks back and shares how they feel and why they came back and it is so inspiring when a person with a lot of sobriety shares how they are living their lives for years sober, how they do this to stay clean. I learn every day something new from every member . It sets the day for me and gives me guidance and accountability.
Saturday mornings I do an AA breakfast meeting at Bondi beach, it is a large group and the 1 hour meeting flies. We laugh, cry and share our wicked stories. I see a shrink first time ever afterwards for 1 hour and on Sunday mornings I do a meditation NA meeting which is also great, a good bunch of addicts in recovery.
This time around I am also on a combo medication treatment of Campral & Naltrexone which has taken away even the slightest desire to drink with no side effects. Initially my doze was too high I was tired a lot. My doc reduced this and I feel fine now. I was told that I would be on these meds for 12 months.
I meditate and aim to get that yoga going. I do Indian kapalbhati breathing exercises and they also help me stay calm and relaxed.
I am returning back to Goa India for 2 weeks after Xmas and plan to do more meditation and learn a specific yoga technique.
Yes so this time around rather than just removing the bottle and not changing anything else I have changed my life totally. This time I know I WANT to stay sober. Life has so much more to offer than sitting numbing yourself on the lounge all day morning to night . "Life be in it" quote really does mean something to me now. Life is so short to just drug it away..I just wanted to post and share here for accountability and to check in. Hope you guys have a fantastic Sunday and a Merry Xmas and sober 2019!!!!
Old 12-15-2018, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Fantastic post sydneyman and congratulations on 37 days! In a few weeks to a month, maybe less, things should start to get easier for you as the cravings reduce and going to bed sober becomes the new normal. I guess too that just from a social point of view it gets easier for most of us once Xmas and the New Year are done and dusted.

Good Luck!
Old 12-15-2018, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the update, and congratulations on 37 days of sobriety.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad sydneyman - congrats!

D
Old 12-15-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congrats on your hard earned 37 days free of it, sydneyman.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 37 days sydneyman that's a fantastic achievement, I really enjoyed reading your post it's refreshing to see how motivated you are in your recovery.

Enjoy the rest of your day and have a great Christmas
Old 12-15-2018, 11:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the replies. This is different this time. I put recovery before anything else This timet. I am not stressing over Xmas or NY. It is a special day but I can do it sober. I “survived” a party sober and had fun. I am just thankfull for sobriety day by day. I only have this one life and its time to change it. I am not missing out on anything at all and It does get easier as time goes by but I now understand that you need to change your routine/life not just remove the substances that tried to destroy you. I am so thankfull to that something that has saved me and made me realise that I have a choice to either drink or not drink. One sip would lead me down that same path. I am not willing to give up what I have gaint and /learnt today and the hard work that I am putting into it. Its been tough to delete contacts and making changes to “friends” on social media. For once I put myself first. Sobriety is not easy but easier than living an addictive life. Clarity peace calmness and happiness is what I gain. Why the hell would I give that away. Its a pretty simple answer. Ok starting dinner now and then the last week of work starts tomorrow before a 3 week break. Xmas is a small affair only 3 of us and Then a 2 week meditation/yoga trip to Goa India. Looking for a fellowship in Palolem Goa (south Goa) unable to find anything so if anyone here knows please let me know where. I will need to stay close to SR and do AA meetings online.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found a few references just by googling AA Goa - I think I remember you prefer NA but any port in a storm, I think?

D
Old 12-16-2018, 12:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

D .. I need to check it out .. yes AA will do nicely thank you. Thanks D. Checking it out now..!!!!!!!!! Yay
Old 12-16-2018, 12:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you can find a close English speaking meeting mate

D
Old 12-16-2018, 12:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not very close to where I am staying but I sent them an email. Perhaps start my own group in Palolem!!! Thank you for your reply very much appreciated..D. As always.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

no worries

D