Notices

Thank you

Old 12-15-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank you

I quit drinking on October 1st, 2015.

It has not been an easy three years in many ways. I attempted to go off antidepressants (under a doctor's care, did everything right) and spiraled into a six month hell of severe anxiety and crippling depression and a couple of months where I barely slept. I am lucky I made it out alive. It took a while for new meds to start working again. Thank God they did and I am alive and well and free of depression. I just read a post I wrote back then before the real hell started and it chilled me to the bone. Some of us have brains that need forever support, and I am one of them.

As a consequence, and for other reasons, my longterm relationship ended.

My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

I moved across the country.

Lots of stress. Lots of wonderful things, too--more than I can count. I live a blessed life with work I love, my needs met, a rich spiritual life, good friends, and a healthy body.

Throughout it all, my sobriety has been a gift. At least I didn't have to think about whether i should drink or not. At least I didn't make things worse in terms of how I felt. At least I didn't have to wake up and think, "uh oh, what did I say?" At least I didn't have to deal with the anxiety that drinking evoked, and the aftereffects of one or four or 8 too many.

Thank you to Dee and everyone here--this place really set me on the path. I am so glad I decided to try 90 days and now I know I can go through hell and survive without alcohol. Sweet freedom.

May we all be well, one day at a time
Old 12-15-2018, 06:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Thanks for your inspiring message and congratulations on your 3+ years of sobriety. Have a most wonderful sober festive season and wishing you a happy and healthy 2020!! xx
Old 12-15-2018, 06:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you, Beeme, for telling your triumphant story. I'm so thrilled for you, & very glad you've been part of us. I had a similar struggle. It's so wonderful to be set free.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 years. That’s amazing! Life sure does throw us some curveballs - I’m glad you made it through some tough situations.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's so good to see you and hear that you're doing well.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What a great, relatable post! Good for you!!
It really is sweet freedom, excellent reminder!
THANK YOU!!
Jules
Old 12-15-2018, 04:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to hear from you beeme. I'm sorry for the stress but glad for the good things - congrats on your recovery!

D