Notices

Three years on

Old 12-14-2018, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Three years on

Hello SR friends. I'm sorry I don't come on here much. Three years ago, this place saved my life and it became a huge part of my recovery. I see lots of good still happening here, folks reaching out and helping other folks, and it makes me happy.

Three years ago I quit for good.

To quit, I went to see my doctor and came clean to her and I treated my quitting and recovery like a very serious project - the most serious project of my life.

For a start, I was completely honest. I confessed to all my family I had a drinking problem, and was quitting. That was hard but necessary for my accountability.

My doctor referred me to a counsellor and I saw her for a few months.

I made a plan with the help of suggestions from here and came on here everyday and posted. I joined an SR class and my classmates helped me immensely. Most days I just posted about my struggles and my thoughts, triggers and help in facing them, just journaling about my day sometimes so I had something to do in the evenings instead of drink.

For a long while I just stuck to my SR class thread, I was so scared of coming out onto the main forums, but eventually I did. I read, and read, and read on here, gleaned as much info as I could on alcoholism, and began to feel part of this great community.

If you're struggling, the best piece of advice I can give is to stay here on SR! Keep posting if you need help to stay quit. Be honest with people here, there is so much compassion and so little judgment. Take the advice on board. Don't isolate yourself. Get through each day with the help of SR.

That's what I did and the days racked up and eventually I built up my sober muscles that way.

Three years on and I truly don't miss alcohol. I just don't drink. Everyone around me knows I don't drink.

Briefly for anyone who remembers me, I am doing really well. I found a higher purpose in my life, and I am using it to transform my job. My life has moved on from the narrowest confines of worrying about my next drink to the broadest one of serving people. I advise companies on transforming from pure profit-making entities to purpose-led ones. It's my life's work. And I have met a lovely partner. Without going too gooey about it, I have found 'the guy'. He is totally supportive of my sobriety. We've been through a bit together over the last few months, but we have decided we are sticking together for the long haul.

TL;DR version: Life is great. I really had my life saved by SR 3 years ago and I am now living my higher purpose. Quitting is the best thing I ever did.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Really inspiring story. Very happy for you, thanks for the motivation.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on three wonderful years sober! And thank you for showing it can be done.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well happy for you
Old 12-14-2018, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 3 years MissP

D
Old 12-14-2018, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Great stuff MissPerfumado!
Old 12-14-2018, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad to hear you're doing well, MissP.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dee and Anna, thank you for everything that you did for me and that you do for those here who need help. You are literally saving lives. There's no higher calling.

And to the old timers who keep coming back and giving - you all know who you are -
Old 12-14-2018, 05:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So lovely to hear that you are doing well! I have always enjoyed your posts, thank you for the inspiration - onward and upward, best of luck!
Old 12-14-2018, 05:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It’s so nice to hear your doing well. A true success story. Good for you
Old 12-14-2018, 06:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Thank you for your update, it's very uplifting and I'm so happy for you!
We never know who we help when we share our experiences, but please know that you helped me with a post about perfectionism. I saw so much of myself in that post and your insight gave me hope. Thank you Miss P!
Old 12-14-2018, 07:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is amazing, congratulations on your sobriety!
Old 12-14-2018, 07:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bandicoot2 View Post
Thank you for your update, it's very uplifting and I'm so happy for you!
We never know who we help when we share our experiences, but please know that you helped me with a post about perfectionism. I saw so much of myself in that post and your insight gave me hope. Thank you Miss P!
Erm ... bandicoot, that totally humbled me and brought tears to my eyes. Power to us, eh?

And strength to all seeking to get to lasting sobriety. It's possible for all of us.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great going MissP! I’m so glad everything is going well for you! A very inspirational post.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

MissP, so glad to hear from you. In the past, I have used your 1 year, 2 year, and 1000 day posts for inspiration. I hope that your running is going well, and I'm so, so happy for you. You have been one of those difference makers on SR for me.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I remember you!! So happy for you. Keep us posted on this upcoming yr too!
Old 12-15-2018, 05:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on three years! What a wonderful post.