Notices

Not coping

Old 12-14-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not coping

I am really not coping very well.
I had severe dental pain yesterday which led me to drink and the way I felt this morning was horrendous.

I rang into work sick due to dental issues an hour and a half before my shift and my boss was livid as he feels I've given improper notice (I did leave work early yesterday due to my severe tooth pain but didn't text through the night with an update) I still feel horrendous and think I'm going to be going through another withdrawal situation.

Honestly feel like suicide is a viable option right now. I don't know why I do this to myself every single time
Old 12-14-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi noaddedsugar

sorry you're so low. I don;t know where you live but is seeing a dentist a possibility?

Not trying to be funny but that's the only thing that really deals with tooth pain in my experience.

D
Old 12-14-2018, 04:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Dee74, I did see a dentist yesterday and was told to wait it out and go back for a possible root canal if my pain didn't improve
Old 12-14-2018, 04:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have forgotten more crisis of incomprehensible demoralization than I can remember. At those times, it seems that I have constructed a reality that I could never get out from under. It was almost always fixable.

As for the suicidal ideation, if you are in a position where it is a practical possibility, you are making plans, or are still under the influence please call someone. I did. I had no one in my life and ended up calling a suicide hotline. They were worth the call. I am neither the glass half is empty/half full kind of guy...to me, it's the wrong glass. I don't know what your situation is, but I do know you have much more to offer and there are people in your life who will be eternally affected and/or there are people in the future who will not benefit from your presence.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Al I can say is thats advice you'd never get in my country. It either needs a root canal or not....

You can try that teething gel they give babies and rub some on your gums - tended to help me a little back when my teeth were in a bad way.

I'm sorry.

D
Old 12-14-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Some of us have had thoughts that we'd be better off if things were over, if the pain would permanently be gone. The truth is that things are better if we don't drink. I imagine that's how you are feeling now, and it hurts. And when we hurt physically as well as mentally, we perceive things in a skewed way.

Here is what I would do. Call your dentist and see if you can have an emergency appointment today for the tooth pain. Get a note from the office that you were treated for whatever problem exists, and have that ready to show at work. You don't need to be suffering on that right now, and you need to provide evidence that you were dealing with what you called in for to miss work. That will hopefully address some of your immediate concern.

You should also think about why drinking was a go-to as a means to deal with the problem of pain. You might have dealt with that a lot better. Don't pick up again today, please. You can consider going to a meeting or just sticking close to here rather than anything else that might be telling you that it's a reasonable thing to use again.

EDIT: I really am sorry that you are feeling so badly.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have you tried using Sensodyne Rapid Relief
toothpaste? Maybe trying this for now till you
get your root canal will ease the pain.

Use it on a daily bases and you will begin
to feel results.

Remember alcohol will magnify any situation,
making things bigger than they actually are.

Doing anything drastically to yourself, harming
yourself is a permanent solution to a temporary
problem.

With continued recovery on a daily bases
things in your life will begin to get better.

Hold onto your SR recovery lifeline and
dont let go. Ask for help in everything you
need as well as helpful suggestion to guide
you alone in your journey to achieve health
and happiness in your life.

We are here for you.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You will get through this, Sugar. Many people on this site including me have been where you have been. In a way alcohol has done you a favor by not giving you the escape you think you need. My very ugly relapses helped strengthen my resolve to quit drinking and look after myself. I too had those awful days of calling into work sick and hungover. The horrible anxiety telling my everyone knows and your are going to lose your job. I am now over 6 months sober. I am telling you it really does get so much better.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thankyou everyone. I don't know why I picked up a drink or that was my go to when I know logically it makes everything a thousand times worse.

Gettingcloser - that is exactly how I feel. I am probably about to lose my job as my boss said if you need to take a sick day that's what you need to do and we'll deal with it when you are back at work.

It's taking everything I have not to pick up a drink today as I already feel like there's nothing much else to go on for.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't think you'll get fired.

Did the dentist you saw take images? If he/she didn't, I would see a second dentist. Teeth shouldn't be painful and when they are for me it always means a medical or surgical intervention is needed.

I also remember wanting to die when I drank - especially at the end of my drinking when it really had its hooks in me.

Sobriety fixed all that for me, I haven't wanted to die since I quit drinking. It is a horrible drug.

Don't pick up a drink. Have you considered an AA meeting, church or therapy? They all helped me.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I feel like it's very possible there will be massive consequences on the job front.

She took an xray but it's a bit of complicated one because I have braces and got them tightened on Wednesday. I've had them on for a year though and have never felt pain like this. The tooth it's coming from has a very big filling.

I know so many people find it helpful but I don't think I could do an AA meeting and I've considered therapy but there is a huge waiting list here in the UK. I'm waiting for a call back regarding talking therapy but after speaking to the crisis team they said it can take weeks
Old 12-14-2018, 05:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Okay, well try to stay in the moment and not future trip.

If you aren't in too much pain, how about going to a library or bookstore and picking up a book on alcoholism?

There is a list here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ependence.html (Books on Recovery, Spirituality & Codependence)

You can read the AA literature (Like the Big Book or the 12 Steps and 12 Traditions) from PDFs on the AA website. The links are at the bottom of the home page.

There are also podcasts. I like This Naked Mind, but there are others like The Bubble Hour, and there are tons of online AA speakers too.

Get busy getting sober. Worrying is not doing any good and can lead to a drink.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by noaddedsugar View Post
I know so many people find it helpful but I don't think I could do an AA meeting
Why don't you think you could go to a meeting? Wouldn't even need to be an AA meeting, there are lots of other types of recovery groups. There are even online meetings if you don't want to leave home. Or even being here on SR is good form of support.

When times are tough it's easy to point out all the reasons that things won't "work for you". But the key to recovery is that you really need to make the effort to change - not the other way around. And it's uncomfortable at first, no getting around that. But think about it - if your drinking is causing you so much grief and pain, why rule out any possible solution?
Old 12-14-2018, 05:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Why don't you think you could go to a meeting?
Because of my social anxiety and the fact I haven't been open about my addiction with anyone in my life. I know I need to focus all of my effort into recovery. I do find this forum useful.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noaddedsugar View Post
Hey Dee74, I did see a dentist yesterday and was told to wait it out and go back for a possible root canal if my pain didn't improve
You may try another dentist - my dentist put me on an antibiotic before I could get to the root canal. I am so sorry you are feeling badly.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Stay close to SR, keep posting. You'll get through this.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi guys just checking in. Saw a different dentist who sorted that problem and I'm feeling much better. Friday was hell on earth - shaking, sweating hot and cold, that aching feeling in your gut, overpowering nausea followed by vomiting and D and about 30 minutes sleep over the entire night. It amazes me how much worse it gets every time I go on a binge. There's no such thing as a hangover for me anymore it's just full on withdrawal.

Saturday was better. I forced myself to get up, do some basic chores and attend plans I'd made a while ago. Made myself eat too.

Today I'm feeling okay however the anxiety about going to work and facing my boss is overwhelming. I don't feel like I'll get much sleep tonight. I am very worried about how things are going to go down. I can't get his angry voice out of my head and I feel there will be serious consequences for another period of absence. If I lose my job I will literally lose everything. I don't have any savings to fall back on, no family to turn to so if that happens I am basically screwed.

I dont deal very well with confrontation so I know when he asks to speak to me I'll just breakdown and won't know how to carry on with my day. I'm seriously petrified.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you saw someone else.

As far as work goes you had a legitimate excuse to not come in. I hope your boss lets it go.

D
Old 12-16-2018, 04:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Don’t worry about the future, including tomorrow. Go to work with a good attitude (and no hangover). Worrying and drinking won’t make anything better. Glad your dental issue got sorted out.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling better.

Maybe you could get a note from your dentist stating that you were in pain and needed dental work done right away? It might help.

I hope you decide to live a sober life.