SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Weekender 14-17 December 2018 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/434795-weekender-14-17-december-2018-a.html)

biminiblue 12-18-2018 06:54 AM

I was just looking for something totally unrelated and ran across this textile artist, Sophie Standing. She uses fabric and other techniques to do these beautiful African animals.

She has a website....not sure if I should link it since it's commercial - but easy to find. They're pretty amazing.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...pg?format=500w

CaptainHaddock 12-18-2018 07:42 AM

Bim, now that gorilla is what I would call a snazzy dresser.

I took a couple days off due to “posters’ block” but have been reading all along. The first few days of the holidays were spent really not doing much at all.

All the best Vinny. You should be proud of yourself for going through with it. Sounds like an interesting crowd. I take it you are going home in time for Christmas.

I hope most of you are winding down for the festive season and look forward to keeping in touch as we enter the home straight to closing the year out on a sober note.

saoutchik 12-18-2018 08:12 AM

Good to see you Captain.

Sophie Standing is talented bim. I only managed a quick look, I will taker a longer look on my way home.

I have beefed up the casters on my work chair ready for the office chair Grand Prix on Friday, I refuse to let the young people beat me.

:drive::Sportrac:

Gilmer 12-18-2018 08:21 AM

Go, Sao! I look forward every year to the Office Chair Grand Prix!

SoberLeigh 12-18-2018 08:40 AM

Good Tuesday, all.

Well done on 16 days, Vman, and on Rehab Day 2. I am so proud of you and greatly admire your strength and courage. Beside you every step of the way.

Great grief teaches many lessons and can completely change one’s perspectives. It is much like Recovery; we must work through its stages, however painful, and find that new beginning. There were times, after we lost our son, that I truly didn’t think that I would make it. Recovery from alcohol was similar.

Well done on facing those travel challenges, Willow; always found being out of my environment or routine triggering.

Bim, that gorilla has style; she is wearing all of my favorite colors.

Gilmer - the Office Chair Grand Prix - :lmao.

Lots of love to all.

SoberLeigh 12-18-2018 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by saoutchik (Post 7078989)
Good to see you Captain.

Sophie Standing is talented bim. I only managed a quick look, I will taker a longer look on my way home.

I have beefed up the casters on my work chair ready for the office chair Grand Prix on Friday, I refuse to let the young people beat me.

We will be rooting you on, Sao!!!!

PhoenixJ 12-18-2018 11:11 AM

hi leigh

SoberLeigh 12-18-2018 02:19 PM

:wave:, PhoenixJ

Willow00 12-18-2018 04:27 PM

Hi everyone :)
Grief makes you grow up. Thanks for sharing that Vinny.
I know grief has and is profoundly changing me. I’m not sure if I’m growing up but perhaps I am. I’m really struggling I know that. Trying to stay sober and deal with Mum and Dad’s deaths and being around my partner’s heavy drinking friends and family is really challenging me. Especially in the lead up to this first Christmas without Mum and Dad :( Honestly, I would soooo much rather be with my own remaining family :(
I am so sick of doing what other people want me to do and not what I want to do. Trying to be “responsible” in my relationship particularly. I really want to travel. My family is spread over the globe. When we get back from this trip (partner’s family) in 3 weeks I will make plans to travel abroad to spend more time with my own family, even though my partner doesn’t have any more time off and he doesn’t really want me going away anywhere without him. Too (insert favourite expletive here) bad. I’m going to do what I want. I’m not sure if I’m growing up or if I’m having a silent toddler temper tantrum lol :lmao
I just miss my parents so much and I really feel the need to connect with my own family.

Gilmer 12-18-2018 07:25 PM

Get good sleep. Be as engaged and enthusiastic as possible for your partner’s sake.

This will endear you to him (as well as making conditions better in the present. Though the drunken tedium of relative strangers may not be optimum, engaging with a sense of intentionality with them could make your time not so horrible.

Seeing that your time with his family is not going to cause sulking and fights between you will certainly put your partner at ease—and possibly even his best.

There will no doubt be a quiet moment alone when you can just be together and bond.

That would be the moment to mention that you have had trouble coping—that even though so much time has elapsed you still yearn for comfort and closure from the family members abroad that you have remaining.

Tell him that you are aching for this. Not that you’re playing tit-for-tat with the relatives game—rather that you feel you really need the time of healing.

Assure him that your goal is not in a million years to disrespect him or skip out on him! But for some reason too deep for words you long for reunion with those few loved ones whom you still have.

See how he responds to a good conscience and reason.

When you do go, be sure to contact him every day.

In my experience, the reason guys get possessive and dictatorial is because they’re bewildered at feeling vulnerable. What if you started enjoying a free life without him better? What if it turned out you really weren’t into him after all?

Assure him at the outset that you love him and are 100% committed to him.

STDragon 12-18-2018 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by saoutchik (Post 7078989)
Good to see you Captain.

Wear a go-pro on your head so we can join the thrill of high speed chair racing. :lmao

Willow00 12-18-2018 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gilmer (Post 7079402)
Get good sleep. Be as engaged and enthusiastic as possible for your partner’s sake.

This will endear you to him (as well as making conditions better in the present. Though the drunken tedium of relative strangers may not be optimum, engaging with a sense of intentionality with them could make your time not so horrible.

Seeing that your time with his family is not going to cause sulking and fights between you will certainly put your partner at ease—and possibly even his best.

There will no doubt be a quiet moment alone when you can just be together and bond.

That would be the moment to mention that you have had trouble coping—that even though so much time has elapsed you still yearn for comfort and closure from the family members abroad that you have remaining.

Tell him that you are aching for this. Not that you’re playing tit-for-tat with the relatives game—rather that you feel you really need the time of healing.

Assure him that your goal is not in a million years to disrespect him or skip out on him! But for some reason too deep for words you long for reunion with those few loved ones whom you still have.

See how he responds to a good conscience and reason.

When you do go, be sure to contact him every day.

In my experience, the reason guys get possessive and dictatorial is because they’re bewildered at feeling vulnerable. What if you started enjoying a free life without him better? What if it turned out you really weren’t into him after all?

Assure him at the outset that you love him and are 100% committed to him.

Thank you Gilmer :hug: ❤️
Your words are beautiful, and of course so true, and I know you’re right. I will definitely try to be as loving about the situation as I can possibly be. He needs to spend time with his family too, and I am becoming a part of his family too. I am hoping my partner may come for some of a trip with me next year to see my family, even if just for a week or two, and I can do more on my own. But you’re so right about the vulnerability, I know he just worries that I’ll enjoy life without him too much. I just need to be more reassuring and make sure he knows that I’m struggling and that I really need the family connection to heal ❤️
Thank you :hug:

CaptainHaddock 12-18-2018 09:31 PM

Willow, good on you for you wearing your heart on your sleeve and Gilmer, what a thoughtful and sensible reply!

Sao, I like Dragon’s suggestion and can’t wait to see the Go-pro footage.

I am faced with a long to-do list before we the start our holiday journey tomorrow. With Mrs Haddock still at work today that list is bound to multiply. Better get at it!

theVman31 12-18-2018 10:10 PM

Always nice to log in to the weekender.
Stay strong and sober and in control weekenders. We are worth it.

Now where is the breakfast trolley... :)

Have a great day or evening weekenders.

MantaLady 12-18-2018 10:27 PM

Morning vman! Hope it’s going well and you’re making the most of your time there xx

6:20am, really tired and stressful day ahead. On the way home found myself thinking I would have a drink, just the one mind and keep it a secret as I was trying to convince myself that this is exactly how it would go, I’d have one and never have another after that so no need to tell anyone. Madness! I am so surprised how I can have these thoughts when I know better. Just wanted to get that thought out in a post so I can see how stupid it is and also keep myself accountable.

Have a super sober Wednesday folks! Xx

MantaLady 12-18-2018 11:31 PM

Love the Sophie Standing artwork too Bim, thanks for posting it!! xx

MidnightBlue 12-19-2018 01:26 AM

Morning, weekenders.

Glad to hear from you, VInny.

Manta - Breathe through the stress.

I am procrastinating on decorating my place for New Year.

Later)

Mark1014 12-19-2018 02:26 AM

Good morning weekenders.

Still. So. Sleepy.

Best day to everyone. And what’s this? A long weekend coming up:)

Gym time.

STDragon 12-19-2018 03:57 AM

Morning All. Had fun at the jam last night. One of the fellows in the group works for the film industry and brought a guest with him. A female actor from the ukriane. I forget her name. Deep accent tho. I could have been sitting next to a movie star!

MantaLady 12-19-2018 05:46 AM

Wish it was a long weekend! I have to work Christmas Eve morning, boo!!! x