Notices

Ready For A Change

Old 12-13-2018, 07:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ready For A Change

Hello I'm Thea and I'm addicted to smokin weed and drinkin and I'm ready to get on this sober train!!!! I saw this forum and thought how cool coz I can't do the n/a and a/a meetings here in my town *I know too many people haha* and this forum will like take the place of meetings for me I'm so glad I found it well just wanted to say hey so hey haha
Old 12-13-2018, 07:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you get clean and sober for good.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey faith. Welcome. You'll find a ton of support here. Just reach out here before you reach for something else.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey back attcha

You'll find a lot of support here, so stick around and post away.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FaithJust4Today View Post
I can't do the n/a and a/a meetings here in my town *I know too many people.
I understand your concern. I went through the same thing. I was a teacher when I started in AA. After one week of sobriety, one of the members announced a party at their house after the Friday night meeting. Family and kids were invited. A woman in my group, had a girl who was in my 7th grade class. In addition, the girl brought her friend, who was also in the same class, plus a couple of other classes as well.

I was really worried about this, and expressed my concern to the mother at the party. She understood, and told me she would talk to her daughter, and from her tone, I felt like it would be a serious talk about how important my anonymity was to me.

I talked to the girls at the party, and it was fine. It was simply one of those, "Hello, it's nice to see you," kind of conversations. On Monday, I was standing at the door to my classroom as kids filed in. The two girls came in together, and simply said, "Hi." There was no smiling or giggling, like, "We know a secret about you." They acted as if nothing was out of the ordinary.

Years later, the word got out to another student. His mother, who was not an alcoholic as far as I know, was constantly dragging drunkards to meetings. I guess she had some kind of weird savior complex. So one day, I had the boy staying after class for some minor misbehavior earlier in the day. He was always in trouble for this or that, but not a bad kid. He was so used to being held after classes by teachers that he didn't really see any punishment in it, rather he seemed to enjoy having time to chat with his teachers about one thing or another.

During our conversation, he said, "My mom told me you go to AA meetings," almost as if "Everyone goes to AA meetings." I was kind of offended, not by him. He was just a kid having a conversation. But I was irritated by his mother who really had no business being in meetings, but was constantly dragging in others while she was apparently looking around taking mental notes.

Now honesty is always expounded on in AA, but I simply lied to the kid, and I didn't feel guilty about it, either. I just told him his mother was mistaken, and I didn't go to AA. He looked a bit befuddled, and I'm sure he relayed that to his mother. I didn't know what his mother would say, but I hoped that she would get the message that breaking someone's anonymity was considered rude and unacceptable. But no more was said about it for the rest of the year, and things went on as normal.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sober style

Glad you made the scene, FaithJust4! SR can help you get sober and stay sober if you use it. It's really quite amazing, literally a lifesaver!
Old 12-14-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Faith

SR has been a godsend for me - not sure how much it equates to AA/NA meetings tho.

If thats something you're interested in have you thought about online meetings at all?

D