Notices

just wondering

Old 12-17-2018, 01:32 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

John,
I can relate to no matter how hard I try to get things accomplished other things keep showing up. I have come to the conclusion that is just the way life is. I am attempting to just surrender and go with the flow to stay positive.
I am not convinced I will ever be all caught up so to speak but being at peace with myself makes life's journey much more joyful. I am trying to make sure my decisions and the way I live my life today has a positive impact on tomorrow.
Peace Brother!
Old 12-28-2018, 12:55 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Just needing to vent guys. Saw my regular doctor last Friday to get a clearance on my prostrate coming up in January. Had another appointment yesterday to get other stuff done. Spent today at the dentist's office doing some painful work to be fitted for new dentures. Another appointment next week to see if they fit right. Surgery on my prostrate the week after. Expect to be layed off for at least a few days keeping me from working or working out. I am stubborn and refuse to let this stuff get in my way. My dentist told me that I should not work out for a few days, like that is gonna happen. I can see taking a few days off after the prostrate surgery, but that is it. I'm going back to work, working out and living my life no matter what anybody says. I'd rather die than have my health issues dictate my quality of life. I have bought the property next to my mother's grave and am willing to join her although I am not in a hurry to get there. John
Old 12-28-2018, 01:34 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

You sound determined John, and that is of course admirable. However, I would urge you to be kind to yourself as well. All these procedures and surgeries will be over soon and there will be lots of time to push yourself forward at that stage. Maybe I am wrong but I think you sound like you are driving yourself very hard. Just my thoughts......please ignore if this is not helpful.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stubborn is fine in a lot of ways, but I'd listen to your dentist - A day or twos rest is not going to hurt and may help John?

D
Old 12-28-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Good to hear your update John.

I'm one of those stubborn people who
doesn't think I need to be told what to
do nor need to take advice or helpful
suggestion.

That is one of quite a few character defects
of mine that im still working on so that I can
be the best person I can possibly be in life
and recovery and of myself.

Our doctors are there to take care of us
when we need them. They evaluate us and
give us suggestion, advice or what ever it
maybe to help us prepare properly for surgery
and recovery.

Sure, I can be bull headed at times, but then,
I think I know myself better than anyone.
However, if I encore what the doctors want
me to do then im putting my life in jeopardy
and could cause more complications down
the road.

Continue listening, learning, absorbing
and applying good helpful suggestion to
have a better quality of life down the road.

Im rootin for you on your journey.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:33 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Believe me I totally understand you wanting to keep up with your way of life. 6 weeks ago I broke my fibula while training for a marathon. I have been laid up for 6 weeks in a cast. I cannot do anything- have not been able to work at all. At first I was so depressed and then I got to thinking this is a temporary problem. I can do this for 8 weeks. I must listen to my Dr. if I don't I wont' heal and then be worse off. Hang in there...this is temporary.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:33 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I refuse to let these problems keep me from doing the things that are important to me. I will take my dentist and doctors advice and slow down but that's it. I have control over working and working out. I have goals for both working and working out, and nothing will get in my way. Just the way I am. The good news is that I have to quit drinking before the surgery which should not be too hard since I drink so little now. Just a habit at this point. John
Old 12-30-2018, 01:08 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

sick of this. Having teeth pulled one day, cancer surgery the next. John
Old 12-30-2018, 02:00 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

It beats the alternative John ?
D
Old 12-30-2018, 04:01 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It beats the alternative John ?
D
Yeah right. I do get a chance to get up the next day. Many people got it worse than me, I know that. But it still bites. Never thought I would have to find time to actually work around all these appointments. Will be pretty much layed off most of next week due to the surgery. Will probably have more post appointments with the dentist and doctors after the surgery. This might go on for months. Spending more time at doctor's appointments than work or at the gym and you are saying it could be worse. Worse than what? Worse than death, sure. I keep telling myself things will get back to normal next week than the next week, etc. After the surgery next week, I'm done with this. Having to carry a bag with a catheriter for a week after that then ware adult depends for another two weeks is about all I can stand. And you say it could be worse. There is a limit to what someone can put up with. I keep fighting the good fight but everybody has a limit. You can say that I'm just feeling sorry for myself. I don' t care. This just sucks. Tomorrow I will get up and go to the gym and schedule job assignments John
Old 12-30-2018, 04:11 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't mean to come as dismissive.

I don't talk about it much but I'm spending a lot of time at the doctors too John....I have nothing terminal but the prognosis is my life will get harder not easier.

just trying to share my view that life is still worth living. For me it really is better than the alternative which is being dead and not being here at all.

I have a lot of living to do yet.

I understand about venting. I understand that aging is hard.
I apologise if my reply came off as insensitive or as unwanted advice.

I'll step back now.
Hope 2019 proves better for you, and I wish you all the best in your continued sobriety..

D
Old 12-30-2018, 05:12 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Dee, no reason to step back. I know you are dealing with a lot of physical problems and I feel for you. I really do. I really feel like you and I are in this together. I really feel like your pain is mine. It's just that all the stuff I am dealing with is hitting me all at once. Up till May, my life was great. No major problems. Since then, it's been one thing after another. The thing is I feel great. I just do not understand where this all came from. First the cataract problem. Then this thing with having low testestrone that led me to a cancer diagnosis in my prostrate. Then having to deal with my dental issues. Just shows that just feeling great is not everything. Makes me wonder what might be coming next. So please don't step back. I have nobody else for support other than you and SR. Without you, I have no other choice than the alternative. Wishing you well and have a happy and healthy new year. John
Old 12-30-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hey John--I wanted to wish you a Happy New Year and I hope the procedures go well and you get back to doing your workouts soon.

Sometimes you just get hammered with life and that's hard to deal with.

Take care of yourself and I hope you have a speedy recovery
Old 12-31-2018, 05:32 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
I'd rather die than have my health issues dictate my quality of life.
John, I'm so sorry that you feel this way. I get that you will have a few tough weeks after your surgery, but hopefully things will go smoothly and you'll be fine.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:22 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hope you are doing OK John.
Happy New Year to you.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:27 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Happy New Year John. Hope the coming year is good to you.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good wishes from me too, John. I hope you can begin to feel better soon.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:56 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Recovery and Sobriety Strong heading
into the New Year for you John and all
our SR team of supporters.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:06 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
I refuse to let these problems keep me from doing the things that are important to me. I will take my dentist and doctors advice and slow down but that's it. I have control over working and working out. I have goals for both working and working out, and nothing will get in my way. Just the way I am. The good news is that I have to quit drinking before the surgery which should not be too hard since I drink so little now. Just a habit at this point. John
Well, it turns out, i don't control over everything. Looks like i will be layed up for at least week. No work, no working out. Not suppose to drive anywhere for while. I will have the surgery this tuesday and i think the catheter comes out a week later. I will know more tuesday. John
Old 01-06-2019, 04:26 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hi, John,

I hope you are well. Sometimes I post and then when I see the responses I feel like "why did I post that?" and other times I really get a lot out of sharing with this group. It can be hit or miss. Much of the time it depends on what state I'm in - feeling down and depressed or feeling good and upbeat and positive.

I know we are all going through our own struggles but I truly think we all wish each other well and think about each other a lot.

Thinking of you.....and best of luck with the surgeries and procedures....let us know how you are doing as you recover.