Notices

My biggest thrill drinking seems to be self-destruction

Old 12-13-2018, 02:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My biggest thrill drinking seems to be self-destruction

It's like knowing all the negatives only makes it more appealing. Like in The Gambler (1974) when James Caan's character admits he wants to lose. Rationally I want to quit but how do you get around that one?!
Old 12-13-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Find out why you 'feel' you need to "self destruct"..Be that through AA/recovery program,therapy,self-work/discovery,religion(if your into that)ect... Basically.."why do you want/need to hurt yourself and those that care for you". <-I used court ordered AA and therapy.. Never worked the steps but, both opened my mind back up to why I want to be happy and live a good life.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
quat

Google and take the crash course for AVRT, about ten minutes .

Then google lecture courses for Maps of Meaning, a dozen or so courses at about 2.5 hours each and see if your thinking changes.

Ps not flip answers and not necessarily be all and end all types of answers(except the first one , the second is definitely worth the thought provoking-ness)
Rootin for ya
Old 12-13-2018, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would have sworn black and blue I had an appetite for destruction,....*sorry Axl*

Turns out I don't.
Turns out I want to live as long as I can .

What I thought was my real authentic voice was actually addictive voice, inner addict, BS,,call it what you will.

My addiction wasn't interested in consequences or self preservation - it only deals in the immediate, and only concerns itself with satisfying that desire to drink.

If you have a really inventive AV it can even con you that you like destroying yourself.

if that were really true you wouldn't be posting, Tetrax.

I am not my addiction and my addiction is not me.

I think the AVRT suggestion is a good one Tetrax, especially ifg you've not looked into it before.

Step away for the bottle, get help if you need it and clear your mind.

I'm sure you'll find that self destructive impulse will fade too.

D
Old 12-13-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes the solo pity party can be quite easy to fall into. Even though iam not an expert at staying sober, I am good at pulling myself out of the self pity hole. It all starts by cleaning your room and house.